UFL in 2010

kinznk

I don't want to pile on to the UFL's issues, but couldn't they get away with a D-II or D-III stadium in a lot of cases? I realize their attendance wasn't great, but at this point even a 20-25000 seat stadium might be seen as cavernous if average attendance is only 10-12k.

I'd have to think that it's better to play in a smaller venue and pack the place, than go big and feel insignificant.

Welcome to DrunjFlix

• 3 months later...
  • Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not that anyone here is paying attention to the United Football League, but not surprisingly all four existing franchises will be getting new uniforms this year.

From a Q&A w/ the commissioner posted today:

Question: Are the teams upgrading their uniforms this year? I think colorful, yet tasteful, uniforms and helmets will create a buzz with the folks. - Rocco

Commissioner Huyghue: Each franchise will have new uniforms in 2010. The uniforms from last year were a one year experiment designed to build the ?brand? of the United Football League as a whole. We have heard the fans loud and clear in terms of what they want to see and what they do not want to see from our uniforms in 2010. Each of our teams will have a far more unique look this season.

Utah should get a team if Dave Checkett's group can be convinced to invest in the league.

With the economy the way it is, why would the soccer-specific satdium owners try to book more dates? You see how aggressive Jerry Jones has been about dates for his stadium. The only problem with Red Bull stadium is that its owned by Red Bull, and after a run-in with the NFL about trying to buy an NFL E team for Austria, I doubt they want anything to do with the sport.

Not much enthusiasm here in San Antonio for the UFL, in fact several city leaders have come out against the league. Worried it will compete for sponsors with the new NCAA football team to start play in 2011, the Universtiy of Texas at San Antonio Roadrunners. Head coach will be Larry Coker, of University of Miami fame.

metslogo_215.gif

Not uni-related, but ESPN is reporting today that the UFL is working to make the NFL a 30 percent owner of the league.

Link

Ask the Arena League how that ended.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Competition is good. San Antonio should realize that. Even if it does only employ three more people.

A lot depends on an MLS strike. Then stadiums will be forced to look at other sports to retrieve revenue.

As much as I am a football fan and I do hope the league can make it, there is too much football, period. Look at the EPL - they have games practically every day and soccer is played year around.

Can you really get excited about the Hartford Colonials? Then again, maybe Las Vegas would be a good club for Tim Tebow to be on.

Who thinks the Redwoods will continue to be the Redwoods? It's not a bad name, pretty unique IMO and hte logo wasn't bad after you understood it.

1. Don't think it will happen.

2. Redwoods appears to be a lousy name if the opinion of the masses means anything

3. The logo was by far the worst in the league (IMO) of the 4 team logos....

4. Even if you did understand it, it stil didn't look like an "R" to most folks....

Sacramento Syborgs perhaps? (Note: Syborg is a take-off on cyborg, a tribute to Silicon Valley...

Sacramento Sycamores (if you want to stay with trees.....)

Sacramento Sunshiners (i.e., beachcombers)

Sacramento Somaliers (i.e., wine experts)

???

spacer.png  5-time Defending NL East Champions spacer.png 

Well, that's 4 names worse than "Redwoods". Got any more?

Sommelier, by the way.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

Sacramento Syborgs perhaps? (Note: Syborg is a take-off on cyborg, a tribute to Silicon Valley...

Sacramento is located approximately 100 miles away from what is considered to be "Silicon Valley".

Sacramento Sycamores (if you want to stay with trees.....)

While the California Sycamore does grow in the Sacramento area, it is far more abundant in Southern California. Oaks are the dominant native tree species in the Sacramento region.

Sacramento Sunshiners (i.e., beachcombers)

There are small beaches lining the riverbanks in the Sacramento-San Joaquin River Delta, but they don't put me in the mind of "beachcombers" the way that coastal beaches do.

Sacramento Somaliers (i.e., wine experts)

Again, while there are wineries in the Greater Sacramento area, I don't immediately connect the region to the wine-making industry the way that I would associate Napa Valley, etc with the practice.

I don't want to pile on to the UFL's issues, but couldn't they get away with a D-II or D-III stadium in a lot of cases? I realize their attendance wasn't great, but at this point even a 20-25000 seat stadium might be seen as cavernous if average attendance is only 10-12k.

I'd have to think that it's better to play in a smaller venue and pack the place, than go big and feel insignificant.

Agree. For example, if Memphis were to ever get a UFL team, it might be worth their while to try to play at AutoZone Park versus the Liberty Bowl. I'm sure it wouldn't take too much doing to configure it to football especially since there is very little if any overlap with the Memphis Redbirds. Also, the backdrop of downtown is much nicer than where the Liberty Bowl is.

Archived