NBA Logo Origin

Wasatch

There might not be one single photo that was traced to make the logo. That's more a PhotoShop thing - in the early 1970s you'd expect more freehand drawings, influenced by photos perhaps but not lifted from one.

Makes sense of course, it?s just too bad there isn?t one famous photo!

Utah_Jazz_2010-11_Identity_Signa-2.jpg

I never noticed just how outdated that logo was until right now.

Would it be too much for the NBA to get with something a little more modern, or at least makeover the current logo?

They could modernize the logo but I don't really see how it's outdated when you don't compare it with a picture of Jerry West, like above. Then you get into the debate of who you model the logo after, Larry Bird Magic Johnson, or Michael Jordan? For me personally, I think the NBA logo is timeless and something that can be kept for a very long time to come. It's almost as if Jerry West is locked in as Mr. Logo!

Utah_Jazz_2010-11_Identity_Signa-2.jpg

At least make the shorts look longer on the logo. You can even see the Logoman is wearing the short-shorts and those just ain't cool.

Shorts are supposed to be just that... short. Today's NBA players wear what can only be described as 'baggy capri pants.' I bet most NBA players wouldn't mind the 'short-shorts' if they realized this fact.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

Actually, the Lakers tried wearing them once and felt uncomfortable, so they went back to culottes at the half.

Reebok should make shorts that end above the knee, call them NBA Edge, and tell players they'll be 4% faster!

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

The NBA logo is brilliant, just perfect ... why change it!

You know it's great by how often it is ripped off by some other "sport"!

Well... it's not like the NBA invented the "white silhouetted player against a blue/red background" school of logo design.

Quite the opposite: the NBA deliberately copied Major League Baseball's logo design to visually link its sport with the National Pastime.

I was wrong - apparently, the pose was based on a single photograph, but the designer adapted the silhouette for the graphic's needs rather than just tracing it.

Also worth noting is that the NBA denies that the logo is Jerry West, calling such claims "urban myth."

http://newsgroups.derkeiler.com/Archive/Alt/alt.sports.basketball.nba.la-lakers/2006-02/msg02696.html

• 2 weeks later...

Archived