Division 1 College Conference Realignment

dfwabel

For those of you saying that UCF doesn't have the acdemics:

In 2011, UCF was rated 33rd among the "Best Values in Public Colleges" in the United States by Kiplinger,[86] and as one of the "50 Best Value Public Universities" by USA Today and The Princeton Review.[87] In its 2012 edition of Best Colleges, U.S. News & World Report ranks UCF 97th among public universities and 177th overall on the list of Tier I National Universities,[88][89] in addition to being the fourth-best "Up-and-Coming" national university.[7] UCF is also ranked as a "Best Southeastern College" by The Princeton Review.[90]

Taken from the wikipedia page. And unlike many wikipedia pages, this page actually cited their sources.

I'm gonna leave that one alone. Your source of information speaks volumes.

1. The SEC isn't knocking on their doors at this time. And it's a big possibility that UWV may be the 14th member.

2. If the Miami situation was that big of a scare, do you think Pitt and 'Cuse would really be that anxious to join? What happens to the U isn't necessarily going to affect the other schools.

1. Publicly no. 72 hours ago the ACC wasn't publicly knocking on Pitt and Syracuse's doors either, and yet here we are.

2. I think the general toxicity of the relationship between the football schools and the basketball schools in the Big East even outweighs considerations such as Miami's sanctions. Judging from what I've read online the football schools were pretty much fed up with being second class citizens in the league despite being the breadwinners.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

In 2011, UCF was rated 33rd among the "Best Values in Public Colleges" in the United States by Kiplinger,[86] and as one of the "50 Best Value Public Universities" by USA Today and The Princeton Review.[87] In its 2012 edition of Best Colleges, U.S. News & World Report ranks UCF 97th among public universities and 177th overall on the list of Tier I National Universities,[88][89] in addition to being the fourth-best "Up-and-Coming" national university.[7] UCF is also ranked as a "Best Southeastern College" by The Princeton Review.[90]

Taken from the wikipedia page. And unlike many wikipedia pages, this page actually cited their sources.

just read this

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/University_of_Central_Florida#Academics

I'm giving you evidence that UCF is a viable candidate for the ACC. You haven't given me any counter evidence.

b0b5d4f702adf623d75285ca50ee7632.jpg
Why you make fun of me? I make concept for Auburn champions and you make fun of me. I cry tears.
Chopping off the dicks of Filipino boys and embracing causes that promote bigotry =/= strong moral character.

I still say they go after Missouri, WVU, and Virginia Tech.

My reasoning for Virginia Tech is now with the additions to the ACC, basketball wise, V-Tech loses a lot in the conference. Atleast if they join the SEC, the competition isn't as tough.

The ACC buyout price prevents them from leaving. It's going to be UConn and UCF going to the ACC. UConn goes for obvious reasons. UCF goes because I think the SEC wakes up, and adds WVU, A&M, Louisville, and USF. They'll try to go after USF, but when the SEC offers, the jump. So they turn to the next best option. UCF is the largest university in Florida, and very rich. If they do join, they'll probably expand their stadium to around 60,000 (which I believe is already planned). If they join the ACC, they're competitive enough in the major sports to make the jump.

Didn't the Big XII up its buyout penalties after last offseason?

The ACC's buyout hike is a symbolic deterrent, not a prohibitive factor. If you want out, you'll find the money to get out.

Not to $20M. And with the additions of Pitt and 'Cuse, it seems like the changes they're making will make the current members more inclined to stay put.

Nebraska negotiated theirs down to $10 million. Since we can all assume that TV deals are going to end up being renegotiated for $Texas dollars, what is another ten million if it means membership in the Big Ten or SEC. The current Big Ten tv deals paid out more than $20 million last season. Again, it sounds nice to the people, but it is not an impenetrable barrier by any means.

Wow. Ok, the current members of the ACC now seem to be fine with staying in the ACC. So why would they try to leave simply just to say they got around the buyout? Just because you think they can, doesn't mean they're going to when all signs are pointing to them NOT leaving. The ACC has now aligned itself up pretty well for the potential superconferences and appear to only be "buyers" not "sellers".

And I'm sure Florida State and Clemson are perfectly fine with sticking in the ACC. Right up until Mike Silve calls Tallahassee and Clemson. Just because the ACC looks to survive doesn't mean you cannot still improve your lot in life.

Mike Slive isn't going to be calling FSU and Clemson. It is pretty clear by now that Florida, Georgia, South Carolina, and Kentucky are forming a voting block to say no to adding new members from existing SEC states.

Further more Slive and the SEC have shown in their game of chicken with the Pac-12 that they are unwilling to get into a fight with another conference. Otherwise they would have just accepted A&M straight away and not used the if all the Big 12 teams agree to let them go language. By adding 2 teams and raising the buyout, even though the buyout is symbolic, it shows the ACC is going to be proactive and fight. That looks to be scaring off the conservative Slive. The West Virginia to the SEC talk basically shows the SEC may not go after a ACC school.

Ultimately I think the SEC waits for the Pac-12 to move and blow up the Big 12, then take Missouri and stay at 14.

1. The SEC isn't knocking on their doors at this time. And it's a big possibility that UWV may be the 14th member.

2. If the Miami situation was that big of a scare, do you think Pitt and 'Cuse would really be that anxious to join? What happens to the U isn't necessarily going to affect the other schools.

1. Publicly no. 72 hours ago the ACC wasn't publicly knocking on Pitt and Syracuse's doors either, and yet here we are.

2. I think the general toxicity of the relationship between the football schools and the basketball schools in the Big East even outweighs considerations such as Miami's sanctions. Judging from what I've read online the football schools were pretty much fed up with being second class citizens in the league despite being the breadwinners.

Yes but in this case the SEC have already contacted these schools and appear to have moved on.

The SEC's actions are about controlling the narrative (namely, we aren't evil raiders who blew everything up for fun and profit). And avoiding a decade in the courtroom with Ken Starr. The Gentleman's Agreement is fine for #13 and #14, but Silve can legitimately say all bets are off for #15 and #16 and what's best for the league trumps parochial concerns.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

just read this

I'm giving you evidence that UCF is a viable candidate for the ACC. You haven't given me any counter evidence.

I can't post links from my iPhone, but as long as you continue to site Wikipedia, I don't really need to. UCF is NOT a player. None of the power conferences care what they're doing. Deal with it.

The SEC's actions are about controlling the narrative (namely, we aren't evil raiders who blew everything up for fun and profit). And avoiding a decade in the courtroom with Ken Starr. The Gentleman's Agreement is fine for #13 and #14, but Silve can legitimately say all bets are off for #15 and #16 and what's best for the league trumps parochial concerns.

But there still the Florida, Georgia, Kentucky, South Carolina voting block. I know 16 is the number everyone is talking about and the Pac-12 may be going to 16, but I don't think the other conference are going that far. It isn't like 16 gets you something like 12 did.

Maybe the hold up was waiting for the ACC replacements. The first move was the ACC expansion with several meetings scheduled the following day. You know, we are leaving but we will be respectful type deal.

Does this work?

PAC-16

East: Texas, Oklahoma, Texas Tech, Oklahoma State, Arizona, Arizona State, Colorado, Utah (8)

West- USC, UCLA, Cal, Stanford, Oregon, Oregon State, Washington, Washington State (8)

ACC:

Atlantic: Pittsburgh, Syracuse, UConn, Rutgers, Boston College, Maryland, Virginia, Virginia Tech (8)

Coastal: Duke, North Carolina, Clemson, Florida State, Georgia Tech, Miami, NC State, Wake Forest (8)

SEC:

East: Florida, Georgia, Kentucky, South Carolina, Tennessee, West Virginia, Louisville, South Florida (8)

West: Alabama, Arkansas, Auburn, LSU, Mississippi State, Ole Miss, Vanderbilt, Texas A&M (8)

B1G

Legends: Minnesota, Michigan, Northwestern, Iowa, Michigan State, Nebraska, Kansas, Kansas State (8)

Leaders: Wisconsin, Ohio State, Illinois, Purdue, Indiana, Penn State, Notre Dame, Missouri (8)

just read this

I can't post links from my iPhone, but as long as you continue to site Wikipedia, I don't really need to. UCF is NOT a player. None of the power conferences care what they're doing. Deal with it.

http://colleges.usnews.rankingsandreviews.com/best-colleges/ucf-3954

Now you need to.

Why you make fun of me? I make concept for Auburn champions and you make fun of me. I cry tears.
Chopping off the dicks of Filipino boys and embracing causes that promote bigotry =/= strong moral character.

The only non-AQ's that have even a prayer of moving up right now are TCU (because they've already been invited), and if the Big 12 gets desperate enough, Boise State and BYU. End of story. UCF, and yes, even mighty FIU will have to wait a good long while and, you know, win high-profile games, win BCS bowls, and gain national recognition.

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

just read this

Now you need to.

What am I looking at? An advertisement? I'm sure UCF spent a good amount of "their riches" to get such a glowing ad. You know, with your trolling practices, your association with the school really doesn't help their case.

just read this

Now you need to.

Right there is why everyone is saying they don't have the academics. #177. The closest is FSU at 101. The gap between #2 in the ACC and FSU is closer than the gap between FSU and UCF. That isn't an association those schools want to have, to put it bluntly. It is snobbish, but that is what it is. This goes beyond athletics, it is who you want to grouped with in peoples minds.

And as I said before the ACC already has the Orlando Market. FSU has a flagship state institution already gives them the market. Adding UCF is dividing the pie without growing it.

UCF and USF aren't going to get taken by an AQ conference.

#4 up and coming schools

That is a very important ranking. This university is growing very fast. I'm not trying to argue that they are the best candidate, but they are a viable player in this.

USF's already in an AQ conference... for now, anyway.

I was talking about in the future, because the Big East collapse is going to cost them their place at the table. They may end up in the Big 12-Big East mash up, but I don't think that will be AQ.

I was talking about in the future, because the Big East collapse is going to cost them their place at the table. They may end up in the Big 12-Big East mash up, but I don't think that will be AQ.

If Mizzou, Kansas, K-State, Iowa State, Baylor, Cincinnati, Louisville and TCU along with USF are in it, then it probably will be. But I'm not so sure a few of those key schools won't be picked up by another conference.

If Mizzou, Kansas, K-State, Iowa State, Baylor, Cincinnati, Louisville and TCU along with USF are in it, then it probably will be. But I'm not so sure a few of those key schools won't be picked up by another conference.

There is no way in hell Baylor is going to be in an AQ conference after the Big XII collapses.