Division 1 College Conference Realignment

dfwabel

The only other option other than Houston would be Nevada or UNLV, and we've discussed that to death.

Y'alls knew this was coming.

/Nevada's broke and Houston has reputation issues.

So once again, UNLV, right? I mean, if Texas and Oklahoma split, and Kansas and K-State go to the B1G, which they almost certainly will, who will be the 16th Pac-16 team? Or will they just make it a Pac-15, like the MAC having 13 teams?

b0b5d4f702adf623d75285ca50ee7632.jpg
Why you make fun of me? I make concept for Auburn champions and you make fun of me. I cry tears.
Chopping off the dicks of Filipino boys and embracing causes that promote bigotry =/= strong moral character.

How about Butler going to the Big East?

St. Joes? Temple? UCF? ECU?

The Big East kicked Temple out the last time it was on its deathbed.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Baseball's actually pretty big at UT. Men's basketball as well. They're not at the fanatical level of importance as football, but they're not irrelevant.

True. On the other hand, I wouldn't consider those olympic sports. Things like soccer, volleyball, tennis, golf, etc. etc...These are and always will be irrelevant at UT. If these teams are competing against UT-Pan American, no one's going to care.

Whatever Texas does, I think it's going to be based on football #1, men's basketball #2 and prestige #3. The other sports don't really matter.

The only other option other than Houston would be Nevada or UNLV, and we've discussed that to death.

Y'alls knew this was coming.

/Nevada's broke and Houston has reputation issues.

So once again, UNLV, right? I mean, if Texas and Oklahoma split, and Kansas and K-State go to the B1G, which they almost certainly will, who will be the 16th Pac-16 team? Or will they just make it a Pac-15, like the MAC having 13 teams?

UNLV has this tiny problem called "Las Vegas is broke"

You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

So once again, UNLV, right? I mean, if Texas and Oklahoma split, and Kansas and K-Statego to the B1G, which they almost certainly will, who will be the 16th Pac-16 team? Or will they just make it a Pac-15, like the MAC having 13 teams?

Does K-State have the academics to go to the Big 10?

So once again, UNLV, right? I mean, if Texas and Oklahoma split, and Kansas and K-Statego to the B1G, which they almost certainly will, who will be the 16th Pac-16 team? Or will they just make it a Pac-15, like the MAC having 13 teams?

Does a $2 billion ANNUAL Federal Bioterror Research facility sound appealing to you?

Today, we are all otaku.

http://colleges.usnews.rankingsandreviews.com/best-colleges/kansas-state-university-1928

Kind of.

If Kansas goes, i think they become a package deal, academics or not.

Why you make fun of me? I make concept for Auburn champions and you make fun of me. I cry tears.
Chopping off the dicks of Filipino boys and embracing causes that promote bigotry =/= strong moral character.

Plus, BYU has had BYUtv since 2000 and no university aligned with them outwardly to the degree of the Big XII schools complained about the revenue from said channel which is available in 60M+ households if they want it.

I think BYUtv is a different animal because it's focused on the university as a whole, not just the athletics program.

Also, it wasn't involved in the broadcast of BYU football until just this season (and even then, they're only doing 1 game live a year, with the rest on delay). Unlike Texas, BYU waited until AFTER they'd left the conference they were in to start using it to broadcast football games. I think that alone makes it a different situation.

If I'm Oklahoma, I'm still looking for a divorce from Texas. It's pretty clear Texas isn't getting rid of their network and because of that, Oklahoma got denied their move. I don't want to see college football change so drastically, but I think it would be in Oklahoma's best interest to find a new home that isn't shared with the Longhorns.

The Big East? :blink:

TLN isn't part of basic cable, is it? If not, it'll probably end up like The Mtn. - unwatched and irrelevant, and more trouble than it's worth. Hopefully, for the sake of college athletics as a whole, Texas cuts its losses sooner rather than later.

Unintentional puns, HURRAH! In all seriousness, I would like to see OU, Ok St, TT, and Houston to join. That would not only make the conference much more competitive, but it would also expand the market a bit. The only other option other than Houston would be Nevada or UNLV, and we've discussed that to death.

You can 'sports bully' your little HS friends but when here please, please try harder. Houston is not ready to do anything major. Commuter population + no facilities. You might as well add SDSU or SJSU. Vegas loves and bets SC.

If I'm Oklahoma, I'm still looking for a divorce from Texas. It's pretty clear Texas isn't getting rid of their network and because of that, Oklahoma got denied their move. I don't want to see college football change so drastically, but I think it would be in Oklahoma's best interest to find a new home that isn't shared with the Longhorns.

TLN isn't part of basic cable, is it? If not, it'll probably end up like The Mtn. - unwatched and irrelevant, and more trouble than it's worth. Hopefully, for the sake of college athletics as a whole, Texas cuts its losses sooner rather than later.

Unintentional puns, HURRAH! In all seriousness, I would like to see OU, Ok St, TT, and Houston to join. That would not only make the conference much more competitive, but it would also expand the market a bit. The only other option other than Houston would be Nevada or UNLV, and we've discussed that to death.

You can 'sports bully' your little HS friends but when here please, please try harder. Houston is not ready to do anything major. Commuter population + no facilities. You might as well add SDSU or SJSU. Vegas loves and bets SC.

Cal and Stanford would never allow that to happen. They are trying to stay far away from the Cal State system.

Cal and Stanford would never allow that to happen. They are trying to stay far away from the Cal State system.

Yet they would allow the University of Houston system?

Child please!

Yet they would allow the University of Houston system?

Child please!

It's more of an instate battle. The UC schools hate the Cal State schools, especially Cal and Stanford. This is why SDSU has not been targeted by the Pac-12.

The more you post, the more you prove that you have little idea on all of this. Even more than with the 2011-12 NCAA season. Using the USNews listing was easy, yet there are more comprehensive collegiate rankings which you failed to look at and or report to us.

Stop being "fire, fire, fire, fire, aim", kiddo

No need to be a Bobcat and stop digging big holes for yourself.

Pretty silly to act like academics matter when this is only about football. I mean, it's not even about basketball, and basketball makes like a billion dollars a year in rights fees!

NCAA runs basetball, they do not run FBS. The schools will sell out to where the money is; for research , development or for sport.

Academics and endowments certainly play a role for some of these conferences. They are more than athletic affiliations to some, the big ten schools (plus Chicago) share research dollars, allow students to take classes at other institutions in conference and access to each others libraries, which collectively have more volumes than the Ivy League. Also they share purchasing and other opportunities. Believe it or not some of the conferences (big ten isn't the only one) still care about higher learning.

This whole idea of crisis-averted is foolish. There is going to be further realignment. It's a given. Texas A&M and probably West Virginia/Virginia/Virginia Tech is going to the SEC. A 14 team Football Conference is just the precursor to a 16 team Football Conference.

If we know one thing, its that the Big Ten love them some money. If they can bring in a solid school in both Football and Basketball with some sort of decent academic reputation (Mizzou, Kansas State), they will probably do it. I think the Big Ten is waiting for Notre Dame, but I think ND is waiting for the Big 10. Notre Dame wants to be the last domino that falls. They don't want to be a +1, they want to be THE 16th member of a the Big Ten Super Conference. I honestly think that is what they want.

Even if the schools don't have that great of a revenue-generating sports teams, but bring a larger foot print with major markets (Maryland, Rutgers), the Big Ten would also have an inclination to make a play for them. Money is the controlling factor, followed by academic respectability, followed by athletic compatibility.

_CLEVELANDTHATILOVEIndians.jpg

SAINT IGNATIUS WILDCATS | CLEVELAND BROWNS | CLEVELAND CAVALIERS | CLEVELAND INDIANS | THE OHIO STATE BUCKEYES

This whole idea of crisis-averted is foolish. There is going to be further realignment. It's a given. Texas A&M and probably West Virginia/Virginia/Virginia Tech is going to the SEC. A 14 team Football Conference is just the precursor to a 16 team Football Conference.

If we know one thing, its that the Big Ten love them some money. If they can bring in a solid school in both Football and Basketball with some sort of decent academic reputation (Mizzou, Kansas State), they will probably do it. I think the Big Ten is waiting for Notre Dame, but I think ND is waiting for the Big 10. Notre Dame wants to be the last domino that falls. They don't want to be a +1, they want to be THE 16th member of a the Big Ten Super Conference. I honestly think that is what they want.

Even if the schools don't have that great of a revenue-generating sports teams, but bring a larger foot print with major markets (Maryland, Rutgers), the Big Ten would also have an inclination to make a play for them. Money is the controlling factor, followed by academic respectability, followed by athletic compatibility.

Do you ever read up on anything before you post? West Virginia has been denied by both the SEC and ACC. They're pretty much stuck in the Big East. Mizzou and the SEC seem to have an informal agreement.

Do you ever read up on anything before you post? West Virginia has been denied by both the SEC and ACC. They're pretty much stuck in the Big East. Mizzou and the SEC seem to have an informal agreement.

Just because they have been denied now, doesn't mean they will be denied in the future. As for Mizzou... Mizzou was begging for the Big 10 to bring them in. I think Mizzou knows they are a better fit with Nebraska in the Big 10 rather than in the SEC. So they may have a back door agreement, but I think that's the extent of it... a back door agreement.

_CLEVELANDTHATILOVEIndians.jpg

SAINT IGNATIUS WILDCATS | CLEVELAND BROWNS | CLEVELAND CAVALIERS | CLEVELAND INDIANS | THE OHIO STATE BUCKEYES

Just because they have been denied now, doesn't mean they will be denied in the future. As for Mizzou... Mizzou was begging for the Big 10 to bring them in. I think Mizzou knows they are a better fit with Nebraska in the Big 10 rather than in the SEC. So they may have a back door agreement, but I think that's the extent of it... a back door agreement.

Mizzou was begging, but there's a reason why the Big 10 didn't take them and I assume that reason will still stand. From my understanding, the Big 10 isn't looking to expand west anymore, but rather they're looking towards the east. That can all change when everything starts falling, but they want the bigger markets out in the east.

How exactly is Mizzou a better fit with Nebraska? Because you have to drive through Missouri to get into the southeast corner of Nebraska? And how does that give them a backdoor agreement to get into the Big 10?