Division 1 College Conference Realignment

dfwabel

Basketball isn't COMPLETELY irrelevant... and neither is Academics to a couple of the conferences. But they are about as close to completely irrelevant as something could possibly be.

Not true on either point in certain cases. While football controls the discussion in college athletics, men's basketball and academics both are a decent part of it for certain conferences (ACC for both, Big Ten for academics only, etc).

Academics, pfft. You know, as much crap as SEC fans rightfully get for that S-E-C-S-E-C "I hope our rivals win because somehow it makes us better" chanting, the Big Ten is the most masturbatory conference in college sports. At least all that South-will-rise-again stuff terminates at the end of football season; Big Ten circle-jerking permeates every aspect of everything.

F*** football, when's the next womens game in that sport?

Arizona gymnastics meets begin on January 6th......

Will Monica Bisordi be making an appearance?

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

Basketball isn't COMPLETELY irrelevant... and neither is Academics to a couple of the conferences. But they are about as close to completely irrelevant as something could possibly be.

Not true on either point in certain cases. While football controls the discussion in college athletics, men's basketball and academics both are a decent part of it for certain conferences (ACC for both, Big Ten for academics only, etc).

Academics, pfft. You know, as much crap as SEC fans rightfully get for that S-E-C-S-E-C "I hope our rivals win because somehow it makes us better" chanting, the Big Ten is the most masturbatory conference in college sports. At least all that South-will-rise-again stuff terminates at the end of football season; Big Ten circle-jerking permeates every aspect of everything.

Yeah, she'll be coming.

Yeah, she'll be coming.

AAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAAHAAHAHAHAHAAHAHHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dear God I couldn't stop laughing at that!

b0b5d4f702adf623d75285ca50ee7632.jpg
Why you make fun of me? I make concept for Auburn champions and you make fun of me. I cry tears.
Chopping off the dicks of Filipino boys and embracing causes that promote bigotry =/= strong moral character.

In seperate news conferences yesterday, Oklahoma committed to the Big 12. Mizzou left everything wide open by saying they'll do what's best for MU and when asked about leaving the conference, Deaton basically said it's an option. Glad they finally figured this out. And evidently there are tons of e-mails pouring in supporting a move to the SEC and they're noticing.

The way the tea leaves are reading now, it appears that we'll be left with an 8-school Big XII and a 14-school SEC (as well as the Pac-12 and B1G Ten staying with what they've got).

The possible C*USA-Big East merger is an interesting possibility, but IMO not all the schools in C*USA will stay there, especially if they have a chance to jump to a Big XII Conference that almost certainly will be actively seeking members. Imagine the following:

Big XII Conference

North Division

Iowa State

Kansas

Kansas State

Memphis

Oklahoma

Oklahoma State

South Division

Baylor

Houston

SMU

Southern Miss

Texas

Texas Tech

Championship Game: Cowboys Stadium - Arlington, TX

Big USA Conference

North Division

Cincinnati

Connecticut

East Carolina

Louisville

Marshall

Rutgers

West Virginia

South Division

Central Florida

Rice

South Florida

Tulane

Tulsa

UAB

UTEP

Championship Game: EverBank Field - Jacksonville, FL

A C-USA title game will never be played in JAX. Nobody wants to go there and they could never sell it out. When they palyed the title game in a more desirable city to visit (Orlando), they could only get 52,000 there and that was when UCF was in the game. It would look worse then when ACC title games there. It will be on-campus.

The way the tea leaves are reading now, it appears that we'll be left with an 8-school Big XII and a 14-school SEC (as well as the Pac-12 and B1G Ten staying with what they've got).

The possible C*USA-Big East merger is an interesting possibility, but IMO not all the schools in C*USA will stay there, especially if they have a chance to jump to a Big XII Conference that almost certainly will be actively seeking members. Imagine the following:

Big XII Conference

North Division

Iowa State

Kansas

Kansas State

Memphis

Oklahoma

Oklahoma State

South Division

Baylor

Houston

SMU

Southern Miss

Texas

Texas Tech

Championship Game: Cowboys Stadium - Arlington, TX

Big USA Conference

North Division

Cincinnati

Connecticut

East Carolina

Louisville

Marshall

Rutgers

West Virginia

South Division

Central Florida

Rice

South Florida

Tulane

Tulsa

UAB

UTEP

Championship Game: EverBank Field - Jacksonville, FL

Where's TCU in all of this?

A C-USA title game will never be played in JAX. Nobody wants to go there and they could never sell it out. When they palyed the title game in a more desirable city to visit (Orlando), they could only get 52,000 there and that was when UCF was in the game. It would look worse then when ACC title games there. It will be on-campus.

Good points overall. You're probably right, it'd probably continue to be a campus affair.

Yeah, she'll be coming.

Can she still throw 100 MPH (but only for three or so pitches?)

LvZYtbZ.png

Good point. Maybe TCU would stay in the new Big USA, but I suspect they'd jump to the Big XII and either Memphis or Southern Miss would stay in B*USA. No idea how you could set up divisions that would make sense that way, though.

Big XII would take TCU over SMU or Southern Miss.

Yeah, she'll be coming.

What?

Yeah, she'll be coming.

What?

He's talking about the other Bisordi on the boards.

Good point. Maybe TCU would stay in the new Big USA, but I suspect they'd jump to the Big XII and either Memphis or Southern Miss would stay in B*USA. No idea how you could set up divisions that would make sense that way, though.

Big XII would take TCU over SMU or Southern Miss.

Why do I keep seeing Southern Miss' name being thrown around. They're staying where they are. I can tell everyone pretty confidently that's the case and I don't even need a source to tell me it. It's common sense.

Yeah, she'll be coming.

What?

He's talking about the other Bisordi on the boards.

Oh. Right.

*queue Boy George's "The Crying Game"*

Why SHOULD C-USA benefit from all this? They are a few steps below the MWC!

When has CUSA busted a bcs bowl?

Their good teams are ranked in the lower rungs of the top 20 at best and they never climb upwards.

When was the last really meaningful non-conference win for CUSA?

utahpioneerssig_by_verasthebrujah-dbt6623.png.47ea1d18a023dde3cc5da14a646e53fb.png

CUSA would benefit from a football merger with the MWC because, due to strength in numbers, a federation between both conferences would be a lock for AQ status if the Big East or Big 12 were to fold. After all, the BCS has already come out and said that it needs six power conferences in order to function and survive. And, thanks to the screwed-up system we have in college football, regardless of academics or school size, it's far more beneficial for smaller schools to not be in a mid-major conference.

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12