Division 1 College Conference Realignment

dfwabel

Big East could take a look at Umass.

They came this close to joining the Big East back in the late 90's-early 2000's. Had their basketball program not had violations I think they would have.

They've been a pretty good 1AA football school, basketball team has been fair to good the last few seasons, (they were in the NIT championship game back in '08) its a very large school, may not be a bad choice.

I guarantee that if the Big East proposes the current football schools subsidize both Villanova and UMass' elevation to BCS AQ competitiveness, especially at the expense of Temple or some other slightly more established program, there will be a breakaway. The idea of subsidizing Villanova alone was a major bone of contention from Syracuse and Pitt.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

With the Tennessee AD saying that the SEC will not stop at 13 (Missouri), Texas may be relenting on adding TCU, and others. Personally, I still do not give this conference much time.

From Dallas Morning News' Chuck Carlton:

(Interim Commissioner Chuck)Neinas indicated a resistance to additional members from Texas during a Saturday appearance on ESPN?s College GameDay. Asked about those his comments Wednesday, Neinas responded: "I?d say that has changed."

Two sources familiar with the realignment process suggested TCU could be involved in a four-team move if Missouri exited.

If the Big 12 decided to get back to 12 teams, the conference could add the Horned Frogs in the South Division and Louisville, West Virginia and Cincinnati in the North. One side effect would be a major wound to the Big East with the loss of four football members.

In the process, the Big 12 would have achieved stability. TCU could conceivably join the conference as early as 2012, partially solving a football scheduling problem. If Missouri leaves, the Big 12 could face scheduling as many as five nonconference games.

Not sure if that's a rhetorical question, so I'm going to answer it. I think it is worth it to those schools. For Texas A&M, they move from being a second-tier team in the Big XII to getting out of the shadow of UT and becoming a second-tier team in the SEC. Only two other conferences make more revenue based on tv contracts than the SEC and that's the Pac-12 and the Big Ten and the SEC has yet to renegotiate their new TV contract. If WVU were to join the SEC, they are a top tier team in the east depending on Florida and Georgia. Missouri is like A&M, if they come over to the west, they'll never beat out the likes of Alabama or LSU consistenly, but they have the opportunity to be in the top 5.

In the end, I think it's all worth it for these teams. To me, Texas A&M has the most to benefit from and they realized it, hence why they jumped. Teams like Missouri aren't really sure. They're asking themselves the same question you're asking right now and that's why they haven't jumped yet.

Got any updates for us? ^_^

_CLEVELANDTHATILOVEIndians.jpg

SAINT IGNATIUS WILDCATS | CLEVELAND BROWNS | CLEVELAND CAVALIERS | CLEVELAND INDIANS | THE OHIO STATE BUCKEYES

Not sure if that's a rhetorical question, so I'm going to answer it. I think it is worth it to those schools. For Texas A&M, they move from being a second-tier team in the Big XII to getting out of the shadow of UT and becoming a second-tier team in the SEC. Only two other conferences make more revenue based on tv contracts than the SEC and that's the Pac-12 and the Big Ten and the SEC has yet to renegotiate their new TV contract. If WVU were to join the SEC, they are a top tier team in the east depending on Florida and Georgia. Missouri is like A&M, if they come over to the west, they'll never beat out the likes of Alabama or LSU consistenly, but they have the opportunity to be in the top 5.

In the end, I think it's all worth it for these teams. To me, Texas A&M has the most to benefit from and they realized it, hence why they jumped. Teams like Missouri aren't really sure. They're asking themselves the same question you're asking right now and that's why they haven't jumped yet.

I'll find out what I can tomorrow.

For now, this is all I got courtesy of Yahoo Sports.

Big East CEOs OK commish to pursue expansion

?

You realize that they talked about teams at the media days in Newport, RI in August, right? His "anchor" schools lied to him.

?

You realize that they talked about teams at the media days in Newport, RI in August, right? His "anchor" schools lied to him.

Glad I'm not the only one that sees right past BayouJim and his "sources".

His "source" said the SEC would definitely be inviting Louisville "soon". How'd that go?

?

Glad I'm not the only one that sees right past BayouJim and his "sources".

His "source" said the SEC would definitely be inviting Louisville "soon". How'd that go?

Never said they were for sure inviting Louisville, I said they were looking into it and if anything they were more likely to go with Louisville because Kentucky doesn't have as big of a problem as say Florida would with Florida State and South Carolina with Clemson. The Louisville hasn't happenned, oh well, I hope you're not losing sleep over it.

NEVER have I said what I've been told is fact, in fact in my first post I said take it with a grain of salt. That goes any time I tell you guys, but I tell you what I hear because I want to keep you informed and contribute, that's all.

Sounded pretty definitive a month ago.

My source tells me you have no source.

Well, Louisville could still jump ship. It's not like they've ruled out the SEC entirely.

b0b5d4f702adf623d75285ca50ee7632.jpg
Why you make fun of me? I make concept for Auburn champions and you make fun of me. I cry tears.
Chopping off the dicks of Filipino boys and embracing causes that promote bigotry =/= strong moral character.

Sounded pretty definitive a month ago.

My source tells me you have no source.

Yet, you choose not to acknowledge the fact I gave the exact date A&M was leaving the Big XII and jumping to the SEC. But, I'm not going to argue with you because you're right the Louisville thing was wrong but as everything has been proven in this whole realignment mess, nothing is definitive. I lose credibility over the fact I was told Louisville was coming aboard, that's fine, I deserve that. But, I'm not going to lose sleep over it either. I'm going to keep telling you guys what I hear, if you don't want to listen to it, then don't listen to it.

SEC should really go after Clemson as the 14th member. South Carolina would hate it but so what.

That 20 million buy out fee would suck big time for the Tigers though.

South Carolina would balk. It wouldn't just be a minor inconvenience, it would be a huge issue for the Gamecocks. And the way the SEC operates, dissention of any sort in any capacity is strictly frowned upon. Everything has to be unanimous, even if the bylaws say there only needs to be a 9/12 majority.

And $20 mil is chump change compared to whatever slice of the pie the (other OTHER) Tigers would get from that big deal the SEC has with ESPN and CBS.

To be honest I don't really see anything great about the Louisville program. Football sucks. Basketball program is legendary but hasn't won jack in years. Nice new arena. That's about it.

8 trips to the dance in the past 9 years is more than any team in the SEC not named Kentucky can say.