Division 1 College Conference Realignment

dfwabel

Another reason why BYU doesn't get BCS-conference consideration:

And maybe former BYU football coach LaVell Edwards offered the best perspective on the the lifestyle and attitudes of his school's followers when he said: "We used to go to the Holiday Bowl and our fans would bring a $50 dollar bill and the Ten Commandments, and break neither."

From http://content.usatoday.com/communities/gameon/post/2011/03/brandon-davies-girlfriend-byu-jim-mcmahon-/1

No, the meme is go to Vegas with a Coke and a $20 and break neither.

Granted the Bowls themselves don't really care since they are getting theirs with ticket guarantees anyway.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

More Big East ineptitude: Conference not targeting schools in states that already have a Big East representative. Rules out Temple, UCF, Army, and Houston (if TCU stays).

But they're going to invite the other two service academies! :rolleyes:

You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

More Big East ineptitude: Conference not targeting schools in states that already have a Big East representative. Rules out Temple, UCF, Army, and Houston (if TCU stays).

I don't really see how that is ineptitude. I believe the Big 10's expansion follow the same guidelines because of the way the Big 10 Network and other TV deals have worked out. Just because a school is in the same state, doesn't mean they need to be in the same conference. I guess there is the idea of natural rivalry and what not, but if they had a rivalry BEFORE the merging of conferences, I'm sure they will have a rivalry AFTER the merging of conferences. If they didn't have a rivalry before then really its going to become something that is just forced. Its not like Cincinnati joining the Big 10 would make a huge marquee match up/future legendary rivalry just because they are in the same conference.

Personally, I like it better when schools in the same State are in difference conferences. For the most part, those schools within the same State have some sort of rivalry already... so with them being in difference conferences, it provides more cross over for comparing conferences and competition.

But back to the expansion... the Big 10 gets something like 70% of the TV profit from viewers inside a State that contains a Big 10 school. Likewise, they only get 30% profit from viewers in state where there is NOT a Big 10 school. I'm guessing the ACC has, or is pushing to have, this same stipulation in its next TV/Network contract. It makes sense. They are anticipating accessing markets that they don't already have access to.

_CLEVELANDTHATILOVEIndians.jpg

SAINT IGNATIUS WILDCATS | CLEVELAND BROWNS | CLEVELAND CAVALIERS | CLEVELAND INDIANS | THE OHIO STATE BUCKEYES

I don't really see how that is ineptitude. I believe the Big 10's expansion follow the same guidelines because of the way the Big 10 Network and other TV deals have worked out. Just because a school is in the same state, doesn't mean they need to be in the same conference. I guess there is the idea of natural rivalry and what not, but if they had a rivalry BEFORE the merging of conferences, I'm sure they will have a rivalry AFTER the merging of conferences. If they didn't have a rivalry before then really its going to become something that is just forced. Its not like Cincinnati joining the Big 10 would make a huge marquee match up/future legendary rivalry just because they are in the same conference.

The problem is that if the Big East wants to retain AQ status past 2014, they're already kind of hurting for programs to add. All this does is cut them off from some of the better geographically coherent teams. It might also piss off some of your remaining football schools enough that they pull the plug on staying in.

Today, we are all otaku.

The problem is that if the Big East wants to retain AQ status past 2014, they're already kind of hurting for programs to add. All this does is cut them off from some of the better geographically coherent teams. It might also piss off some of your remaining football schools enough that they pull the plug on staying in.

They will have to drop below 10 teams to lose there AQ status, I think. Even then, I don't think the NCAA will be quick to make that decision. I think the NCAA is along for the ride just as much as the fan bases and the non-big name schools.

I think that both the schools and the conferences are scared of going to 4 super conferences. I think they are scared of breaking from the status quo as far as Bowl Games go, as far as sharing profits goes, as far as how the BCS runs things, etc. I think on the surface, expanding is a great idea... hit new markets, drive up the cost of TV deals, tickets prices increase, etc. But when they delve in deeper, I think there is something holding all these schools and conferences back. There is a reason why only 4 schools have changed conferences, despite new rumors every other day.

The Big East has to pray that more schools don't bolt. They need to convince school that being a power house in a crap football conferences is better than being a mediocre team in a football power conference.

SAINT IGNATIUS WILDCATS | CLEVELAND BROWNS | CLEVELAND CAVALIERS | CLEVELAND INDIANS | THE OHIO STATE BUCKEYES

Army? With Cuse leaving, this shouldn't matter.

St. John's anyone?

Where would they play football, if they decided to reinstate the sport?

Do what their lacrosse team does, play on top of a parking garage :P

ffMc5dZ.png

Twitter: @RyanMcD29

To be honest... I'm not sure the major football conferences have the upper hand in all this realignment. As I was saying with the Big East and ACC expansion, it may be hard to convince the "solid" football programs to leave the ACC, Big East, or Big 12 and join the more dominant football conferences like the Pac 12, Big 10 and SEC. Schools have to weigh the option of being a power house school in a mediocre conference, or a mediocre school in a power house conference.

When it comes to Nebraska, I think they saw that they can be a power house school in a power house conference (I'm not saying the Big 10 is the best football conference, but they are certainty top 3 of the 6 major conferences). When it comes to Texas A&M, Mizzou, and West Virginia joining the SEC, they know they won't run with the big dogs, they will be the second tier of good/solid teams in the SEC. Now, is that benefit and revenue sharing worth it?

Not sure if that's a rhetorical question, so I'm going to answer it. I think it is worth it to those schools. For Texas A&M, they move from being a second-tier team in the Big XII to getting out of the shadow of UT and becoming a second-tier team in the SEC. Only two other conferences make more revenue based on tv contracts than the SEC and that's the Pac-12 and the Big Ten and the SEC has yet to renegotiate their new TV contract. If WVU were to join the SEC, they are a top tier team in the east depending on Florida and Georgia. Missouri is like A&M, if they come over to the west, they'll never beat out the likes of Alabama or LSU consistenly, but they have the opportunity to be in the top 5.

In the end, I think it's all worth it for these teams. To me, Texas A&M has the most to benefit from and they realized it, hence why they jumped. Teams like Missouri aren't really sure. They're asking themselves the same question you're asking right now and that's why they haven't jumped yet.

Army? With Cuse leaving, this shouldn't matter.

St. John's anyone?

Fair enough, but if they're talking football, Army should be a possibility if interested.

Big East could take a look at Umass.

They came this close to joining the Big East back in the late 90's-early 2000's. Had their basketball program not had violations I think they would have.

They've been a pretty good 1AA football school, basketball team has been fair to good the last few seasons, (they were in the NIT championship game back in '08) its a very large school, may not be a bad choice.

They came this close to joining the Big East back in the late 90's-early 2000's. Had their basketball program not had violations I think they would have.

They've been a pretty good 1AA football school, basketball team has been fair to good the last few seasons, (they were in the NIT championship game back in '08) its a very large school, may not be a bad choice.

Is UMass still moving to the MAC for 2012?

Should be, as far as I know.

As far as I know, UMass is still going to the MAC for football only in 2012. Any move to the Big East could mean moving all of their programs from the Atlantic 10 to the Big East and I don't think they want to make that move.

As far as I know, UMass is still going to the MAC for football only in 2012. Any move to the Big East could mean moving all of their programs from the Atlantic 10 to the Big East and I don't think they want to make that move.

They are just for football, but I doubt they want to say there for long. They'll have to play there at least one year, but beyond that I think they are available so long as the Big East wants them.

I'm hard pressed to see why they wouldn't. As it is now I think they could keep up with the Big East in any sport and they're budget will increase if they move to the Big East. They already looked into it once before and I think it was the Big East and not them that pulled the plug on that. The circumstances around why though I feel have changed. I don't see why not. The only thing I see preventing Umass from going to the Big East is whether or not the Big East wants them.

I still think the Big 12 is far from rock steady. It's safe for at least the 2012 season.

Missouri to the SEC and how about Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, Kansas, Kansas State to the Pac-12.

Basically everyone tells Texas to goes "F" themselves.

I like this plan.

"I did absolutely nothing and it was everything I thought it could be." -Peter Gibbons

RIP Demitra #38