Division 1 College Conference Realignment

dfwabel

I have a sneaking suspicion that the Big 10 is going to get bit in the ass once the dust settles (how's that for cramming cliches?). Initially, reports were that the Big 10 were being proactive and really spear heading and leading the charge for expansion to super conferences, but it seems either the cockiness or the lack of planning is coming back to haunt the Big 10. Most of their targets seem to be going else where.

_CLEVELANDTHATILOVEIndians.jpg

SAINT IGNATIUS WILDCATS | CLEVELAND BROWNS | CLEVELAND CAVALIERS | CLEVELAND INDIANS | THE OHIO STATE BUCKEYES

I have a sneaking suspicion that the Big 10 is going to get bit in the ass once the dust settles (how's that for cramming cliches?). Initially, reports were that the Big 10 were being proactive and really spear heading and leading the charge for expansion to super conferences, but it seems either the cockiness or the lack of planning is coming back to haunt the Big 10. Most of their targets seem to be going else where.

But does the Big Ten really need more than 12 teams? Of course I'd be in favor of adding Notre Dame and another team (preferably Missouri), but I'd rather we stick at 12 teams than go pick up a team that isn't a great fit.

Wordmark_zpsaxgeaoqy.jpg

OU: We will stay in the Big XII if presidents/chancellors agree to fire Dan Beebe (and LHN undergoes changes).

Dammit, please stay Beebe. Please stay!

b0b5d4f702adf623d75285ca50ee7632.jpg
Why you make fun of me? I make concept for Auburn champions and you make fun of me. I cry tears.
Chopping off the dicks of Filipino boys and embracing causes that promote bigotry =/= strong moral character.

I still have no idea what Rutgers provides the ACC other than a warm body in the 16th slot. If WVU (ranked 164th in the country) isn't good enough for the ACC, how is Rutgers (ranked 143rd in the country) any better, especially with lousy football and men's basketball programs?

Rutgers is ranked 68th, not 143rd.

At this point I'd bet in favor of that happening.

I still have no idea what Rutgers provides the ACC other than a warm body in the 16th slot. If WVU (ranked 164th in the country) isn't good enough for the ACC, how is Rutgers (ranked 143rd in the country) any better, especially with lousy football and men's basketball programs?

If Notre Dame is interested, they would seem to be the best option for the ACC at this point. I would even consider going to 15 schools by taking UConn and leaving the 16th slot open until something better comes along over taking Rutgers.

I would take Rutgers over UConn for a 16th team. I would say Rutgers and UConn are about similar programs football wise. Rutgers has more upside and less down size than UConn in my opinion. If Rutgers can build into a consistent good program then you have a good program in a populated state. If they are what they currently are (or even what they have been in the past) well you still have a presence (i.e. the other ACC teams going into NJ) in a populated state that is good to have for recruiting. Connecticut isn't as populated, thus if they are bad the is no benefit to even having them.

Reading today's Daily Orange was unbearable. If I read one more quote about someone pissed that we're losing Villanova as a rival, which nobody gave a crap about before College Gameday showed up in 2010, I swear...

It's ok. Villanova applied to the ACC too.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

At this point I'd bet in favor of that happening.

If Notre Dame is interested, they would seem to be the best option for the ACC at this point. I would even consider going to 15 schools by taking UConn and leaving the 16th slot open until something better comes along over taking Rutgers.

I would take Rutgers over UConn for a 16th team. I would say Rutgers and UConn are about similar programs football wise. Rutgers has more upside and less down size than UConn in my opinion. If Rutgers can build into a consistent good program then you have a good program in a populated state. If they are what they currently are (or even what they have been in the past) well you still have a presence (i.e. the other ACC teams going into NJ) in a populated state that is good to have for recruiting. Connecticut isn't as populated, thus if they are bad the is no benefit to even having them.

New Jersey is a Jets state, not a Rutgers state. Plus, Uconn surpasses Rutgers athletically in every way. It would make no sense to take Rutgers over Uconn.

Why you make fun of me? I make concept for Auburn champions and you make fun of me. I cry tears.
Chopping off the dicks of Filipino boys and embracing causes that promote bigotry =/= strong moral character.

Or they're waiting for everything to fly apart in 5 years.

Option B is Jim Delaney is going to swoop in on Mizzou at the very last second in an attempt to actually get one up on the SEC for a change. It won't work but I can't rule it out.

You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

From the same person who kept me informed on Texas A&M situation.

Missouri is expected to go to the SEC West with Auburn moving to the east.

I'm sure Tennessee is going to LOVE losing 3rd Saturday in October.

Today, we are all otaku.

From the same person who kept me informed on Texas A&M situation.

Missouri is expected to go to the SEC West with Auburn moving to the east.

Potential Auburn- Alabama SECCG? I love realignment.

It's a shame Syracuse and Pitt had to leave the Big East.

They could have had Navy as a conference foe.

Today, we are all otaku.

SEC is more likely to take Missouri as it's 14th member than West Virginia

Evidently national championships are no longer enough for the SEC; now they're also trying to corner the market on teams named the Tigers.

Meanwhile, here's a great piece by Ray Ratto, in which he calls college sports a "ravenous hell-whore". That alone makes it worth the read.

CCSLC signature.png

I think the bigger news is, the Big East was targeting AIR FORCE? I thought TCU was a sketch but JESUS, that's almost Pac-12 territory! Might as well change their name just The Big, if you're going to go that far west.

I think the bigger news is, the Big East was targeting AIR FORCE? I thought TCU was a sketch but JESUS, that's almost Pac-12 territory! Might as well change their name just The Big, if you're going to go that far west.

New Jersey Tech plays in a conference called the Great West. Nothing is sacred.

In other news, I'd finally be able to watch my beloved Falcons play on TV. I hate The Mtn. with a fiery passion.

Navy is better in football than half the teams in the ACC. I'm sure 'Cuse and Pitt will enjoy playing against such football powerhouses as Duke, Wake Forest, and Boston College week after week.

BC was decent until they fired their coach for daring to schedule an interview with the Jets.

Today, we are all otaku.

How the hell is Air Force getting serious consideration for AQ status? Their market is smaller than Boise State's, considering that Colorado is Buffs country. They've also done jack :censored: compared to Boise State, TCU, or even Nevada lately. They're usually a tough team to beat but they also don't really have any signature wins.

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

How the hell is Air Force getting serious consideration for AQ status? Their market is smaller than Boise State's, considering that Colorado is Buffs country. They've also done jack :censored: compared to Boise State, TCU, or even Nevada lately. They're usually a tough team to beat but they also don't really have any signature wins.

Air Force has national appeal. But yes, I agree with you. While it would nice to get that national follwing, not only would it come at the cost of better candidates, but Air Force might also decline, considering they're very happy were they are.