Division 1 College Conference Realignment

dfwabel

... you all are vastly overrating academics in all of this.

Bingo!

How anyone - most especially college presidents, chancellors, athletic directors, trustees, etc. - can say with a straight face that big-time college athletics has anything whatsoever to do with maintaining, let alone improving, academic standards is beyond me. Such claims are nothing more than empty, self-serving, disingenuous prattle. The cart has long since been placed in front of the horse when it comes to the relationship between major college athletics and academics. The dereliction of duty that the aforementioned officials are involved in at the major college level strikes me as being, at the very least, immoral, if not downright criminal. Frankly, I find it disgusting... which is the primary reason that I have no interest in the cesspool of warped priorities that is big-time college sports.

FSU is the latest, greatest example. Their prez tried to stick up for the ACC and academics. Now he is about to be fired for it.

If the SEC had to choose between Vandy or LSU to keep, who would the choose? Pac 12, USC or Stanford?

exactly.

BOLD PREDICTION: Notre Dame ends up somewhere with in a year.

Don't read too much in to it but Austin radio reports that FSU, Clemson, Notre Dame and a partner with ND will be joining. Georgia Tech looks to be that partner. ND will join in olympic sports in 2013 and football in 2016. That is when NBC expires. Notre Dame network will begin. This was also repeated by a few SEC and BIg 12 insiders. Says VT is all but in the SEC and NC State is #1 to follow. We will see.

Possible shakeout based on current rumors

Pac 12

Washington

Wash. St.

Oregon

Oregon St.

Stanford

California

Arizona

Arizona St.

Utah

Colorado

USC

UCLA

Big 16

Texas

Texas Tech

TCU

Baylor

Kansas

Kansas St.

Oklahoma

Ok. State

West Virginia

Iowa State

Florida St.

Clemson

Notre Dame

Georgia Tech

Louisville

PIT or CINCY? (heard little talk on these two, but if they take others they'll likely need one to have an even number)

Big 10

Nebraska

Iowa

Indiana

Purdue

Illinois

Northwestern

Wisconsin

Minnesota

Maryland

Duke

UNC

VA

Ohio St.

Michigan St.

Michigan St.

Penn St.

SEC

Tennessee

Georgia

South Carolina

Florida

Kentucky

Vanderbilt

Va Tech

NC State

Ole Miss

Miss St.

LSU

Auburn

Alabama

TX A&M

Arkansas

Mizzou

Then perhaps the Big East basketball schools break away and add some A10 schools and the football schools merge with the ACC.

ACC

Boston College

Uconn

Temple

Syracuse

Rutgers

Wake Forest

Memphis

Miami

South Fla

Cent Fla

SMU

Houston

PIT or CINCY?

NAVY (FB only)

I gotta think if this happens Boise St. and San Diego St. go back to the Mtn. West.

That ACC conference is still a lot of decent schools to leave out of the national championship picture permanently if this four superconference thing is going to happen. And of course as we've discussed here, the Pac-12's lack of viable expansion teams is an issue.

It amazes me how the Big 12 went from its death bed to major player in a year.

And geography, academics, tradition, etc., are completely out the window at this point. I bet when it's done these new alignments will make the old NFC West of CAR, NO, ATL, STL, SF almost seem logical!

"I did absolutely nothing and it was everything I thought it could be." -Peter Gibbons

RIP Demitra #38

Possible shakeout based on current rumors

Pac 12

Washington

Wash. St.

Oregon

Oregon St.

Stanford

California

Arizona

Arizona St.

Utah

Colorado

USC

UCLA

Big 16

Texas

Texas Tech

TCU

Baylor

Kansas

Kansas St.

Oklahoma

Ok. State

West Virginia

Iowa State

Florida St.

Clemson

Notre Dame

Georgia Tech

Louisville

PIT or CINCY? (heard little talk on these two, but if they take others they'll likely need one to have an even number)

Big 10

Nebraska

Iowa

Indiana

Purdue

Illinois

Northwestern

Wisconsin

Minnesota

Maryland

Duke

UNC

VA

Ohio St.

Michigan St.

Michigan St.

Penn St.

SEC

Tennessee

Georgia

South Carolina

Florida

Kentucky

Vanderbilt

Va Tech

NC State

Ole Miss

Miss St.

LSU

Auburn

Alabama

TX A&M

Arkansas

Mizzou

Then perhaps the Big East basketball schools break away and add some A10 schools and the football schools merge with the ACC.

ACC

Boston College

Uconn

Temple

Syracuse

Rutgers

Wake Forest

Memphis

Miami

South Fla

Cent Fla

SMU

Houston

PIT or CINCY?

NAVY (FB only)

I gotta think if this happens Boise St. and San Diego St. go back to the Mtn. West.

That ACC conference is still a lot of decent schools to leave out of the national championship picture permanently if this four superconference thing is going to happen. And of course as we've discussed here, the Pac-12's lack of viable expansion teams is an issue.

It amazes me how the Big 12 went from its death bed to major player in a year.

And geography, academics, tradition, etc., are completely out the window at this point. I bet when it's done these new alignments will make the old NFC West of CAR, NO, ATL, STL, SF almost seem logical!

This was almost my exact breakdown that I did on paper the other day.

I think the Pac-12 will be severely limited in their expansion options. Part of the problem is a lack of quality teams, but the other side of the coin is their insistence on academic standards. For example, the "Little Californias" (Fresno, SDSU, San Jose) would all get stumped by the Big Four (Cal, USC, UCLA, Stanford). They've made no bones about being "THE ONLY" California universities.

Same would go for rivalry add-ons like Colorado State or Utah State.

The only "real" options for them might be Boise State, BYU, Hawaii and/or Nevada. And those are all REAL big stretches.

UyDgMWP.jpg

5th in NAT. TITLES  |  2nd in CONF. TITLES  |  5th in HEISMAN |  7th in DRAFTS |  8th in ALL-AMER  |  7th in WINS  |  4th in BOWLS |  1st in SELLOUTS  |  1st GAMEDAY SIGN

They will find someone. Remember, The Pac 12 may always be the last horse to cross the finish line but it always crosses. The SEC went to 14 to get to 16. They will get there and this is the perfect time to do so. If so, the Big 10 will follow. May take longer than the others but the Pac 12 will adopt a pod system soon enough. One or two who don't really belong may just get in by default. Like PK is saying, who???? But it will happen one day.

Then perhaps the Big East basketball schools break away and add some A10 schools.

The 7 Division I basketball only Big East Schools could add Dayton, Xavier & St. Louis from the A-10.

Then you have perfect symmetry

5 East Coast schools: Georgetown, Providence, Seton Hall, St. John's, Villanova

5 Midwest Schools: Dayton, DePaul, Marquette, St. Louis, Xavier

A couple of sources are saying that GT and the Big 10 are talking with a few other ACC teams.

I hope they like Ro-Tel down in SEC-Land

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

A couple of sources are saying that GT and the Big 10 are talking with a few other ACC teams.

Never heard of anything Ro-Tel until today. No lie, I am eating Ro-Tel Velveta Shells & Cheese as I type. LOL, It is a sign of things to come.

Never heard of anything Ro-Tel until today. No lie, I am eating Ro-Tel Velveta Shells & Cheese as I type. LOL, It is a sign of things to come.

Clever segue. ;)

Actually I think Wake Forest's response would be to call Florida State cowards for running away from them.

You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Actually I think Wake Forest's response would be to call Florida State cowards for running away from them.

And just like in football no one will take them seriously.

And that's why FSU has lost 4 of their last 6 games with Wake.

Today, we are all otaku.

And just like in football no one will take them seriously.

And that's why FSU has lost 4 of their last 6 games with Wake.

It happens. But don't be clueless for the sake of trolling. Grow up and stick to the topic. I have been an adult, why cant you?