Division 1 College Conference Realignment

dfwabel

According to @ChadScott, ACC could lose up to 8 members by August. Duke, MD, VA, and UNC to Big 10.

Other rumors have VA Tech and NC State to SEC.

Still others have GA Tech and Clemson (Clemson more a certainty, Ga Tech "just talking") to Big 12.

I wonder if the remnants of the Big East FB schools and ACC form a conference and the Big East non-football schools merge with some of the A10 schools to make a powerhouse basketball-only conference. Of course the leftover schools become basically irrelevant.

And I would think Notre Dame is going to have to make a move to a conference if they want to stay relevant at all.

Superconferences here we come.

If Big 10, SEC, and Big 12 all go to 16 teams, who could the Pac-12 realistically take if they wanted to match the other three of the "big four"?

"I did absolutely nothing and it was everything I thought it could be." -Peter Gibbons

RIP Demitra #38

According to @ChadScott, ACC could lose up to 8 members by August. Duke, MD, VA, and UNC to Big 10.

Still others have GA Tech and Clemson (Clemson more a certainty, Ga Tech "just talking") to Big 12.

I wonder if the remnants of the Big East FB schools and ACC form a conference and the Big East non-football schools merge with some of the A10 schools to make a powerhouse basketball-only conference.

And I would think Notre Dame is going to have to make a move to a conference if they want to stay relevant at all.

If Big 10, SEC, and Big 12 all go to 16 teams, who could the Pac-12 realistically take if they wanted to match the other three of the "big four"?

1. The Big Ten said REPEATEDLY after they got Nebraska was that 12 teams was how they'd stay for now. Wonder if the landscape's changed enough where they really would go for more now?

2. Virginia Tech I could see, but NC State's just not elite enough to make that jump IMHO.

3. So the Big 12's going to Georgia and South Carolina? Geographical relevancy is officially DEAD now...

4. I would like to see a Big East-Atlantic 10 elite basketball-only conference...if only to see Marquette FINALLY win another conference title (they're the best of all these non-football schools in basketball right now)

bYhYmxh.png

I wonder if the remnants of the Big East FB schools and ACC form a conference and the Big East non-football schools merge with some of the A10 schools to make a powerhouse basketball-only conference.

1. The Big Ten said REPEATEDLY after they got Nebraska was that 12 teams was how they'd stay for now. Wonder if the landscape's changed enough where they really would go for more now?

2. Virginia Tech I could see, but NC State's just not elite enough to make that jump IMHO.

3. So the Big 12's going to Georgia and South Carolina? Geographical relevancy is officially DEAD now...

4. I would like to see a Big East-Atlantic 10 elite basketball-only conference...if only to see Marquette FINALLY win another conference title (they're the best of all these non-football schools in basketball right now)

I think the landscape is going to force the Big 10 to make a move.

NC State I think has been mentioned purely for expanding the footprint.

As a Dayton alum, I would love to see Dayton, Marquette, DePaul, St. John's, St. Joe's, Georgetown, Duquense, Xavier, and SLU together.

I'm from Missouri, and with Mizzou in the SEC now and the A10 only getting stronger, I look forward to sitting back and watching the show.

"I did absolutely nothing and it was everything I thought it could be." -Peter Gibbons

RIP Demitra #38

I wonder if the remnants of the Big East FB schools and ACC form a conference and the Big East non-football schools merge with some of the A10 schools to make a powerhouse basketball-only conference. Of course the leftover schools become basically irrelevant.

So theoretically, a Big East/ACC football merger could be:

North

Boston College

Pitt

Syracuse

Rutgers

Uconn

Temple

Cincinnati

Louisville

South

Miami

Wake Forest

Georgia Tech

South Fla

Cent Fla

SMU

Houston

Memphis

If this were the case, I see Boise and SDSU retracting to Mount West again.

As a long time ACC fan, I hate this news. Money rules the world I suppose.

I know what you mean. Although, I don't know about VA Tech going to the SEC, I remember years ago how they were trying hard to get in the ACC but like I said that was years ago. I would like to see the ACC stay afloat but it just seems like once you turn around, another school is going.

Sadly, I think FSU is first domino of the ACC :(

baltimoreravens.png

As a long time ACC fan, I hate this news. Money rules the world I suppose.

Sadly, I think FSU is first domino of the ACC :(

They are and they tried to tell Swofford that. He didn't listen so now the ACC is dead. Way to go, Swofford.

To the "why is the SEC going after NC State? They aren't a power". It isn't about power. It is about markets. I mean, Mizzou and A&M aren't better programs than NC State. They really haven't mattered in CFB in a long time. It is the Markets they wanted. The SEC is strong enough to focus on markets rather than super powers. Who would you get rather than Nc State?

Who would you get rather than NC State?

The SEC could go after either Duke or North Carolina and still get the same market (Raleigh-Durham-Chapel Hill) as if they went for North Carolina State.

The SEC's name is so strong that it's not about being able to compete (ask Missouri and Texas A&M), it's about being able to expand the SEC's television footprint. It now reaches St. Louis, Kansas City and Houston. Imagine what the Carolina Triangle could bring it in terms of TV?

Now as someone who lives in Big 12 country (close enough to Ames to make it count), I am very skeptical about the idea of adding anyone else who isn't in the Midwestern footprint, like Florida State or Clemson. Bad enough that they added West Virginia for this upcoming season, but what do I know?

Big XII should go after Pittsburgh to renew the Backyard Brawl rivalry with WV. I don't know what Clemson adds other than another program that's just kinda sorta okay at football.

Legitimate question:

Why not let the big schools in football have power conferences FOR FOOTBALL, whilst maintaining regional & historic rivalries for olympic sports? Because it can't be advantageous for, well anyone, to have to send, say, the womens water polo team halfway across the country just to play a conference game.

1 hour ago, BringBackTheVet said:

sorry sweetie, but I don't suck minor-league d

CCSLC Post of the day September 3rd 2012

Legitimate question:

Why not let the big schools in football have power conferences FOR FOOTBALL, whilst maintaining regional & historic rivalries for olympic sports? Because it can't be advantageous for, well anyone, to have to send, say, the womens water polo team halfway across the country just to play a conference game.

It's harder to negotiate how (or if) to split football revenue among non-football members of a given conference.

So theoretically, a Big East/ACC football merger could be:

North

Boston College

Pitt

Syracuse

Rutgers

Uconn

Temple

Cincinnati

Louisville

South

Miami

Wake Forest

Georgia Tech

South Fla

Cent Fla

SMU

Houston

Memphis

If this were the case, I see Boise and SDSU retracting to Mount West again.

Yes, but I bet a few of these teams would get invited to the Big 12 to get it up to 16 (perhaps Miami, Ga. Tech, Louisville, Pitt, or maybe Cincinnati)...I still think if these superconferences come about ND is going to have to get into one. I

RIP Demitra #38

Who would you get rather than Nc State?

Notre Dame.

Since geography isn't as much of a restriction it seems (although Indiana does share a border with Kentucky), why not go after the richest school that's available? The SEC would pull in the Indianapolis and Chicago markets immediately, and due to their "prestige".....a nationwide TV following as well. Any TV network would just give the SEC a blank check to give themselves should they get Notre Dame.

Notre Dame isn't going anywhere until the FBS postseason gets finalized. They've no reason to go find a conference right away due to their sweetheart of a deal with the BCS.

The SEC could go after either Duke or North Carolina and still get the same market (Raleigh-Durham-Chapel Hill) as if they went for North Carolina State.

The SEC's name is so strong that it's not about being able to compete (ask Missouri and Texas A&M), it's about being able to expand the SEC's television footprint. It now reaches St. Louis, Kansas City and Houston. Imagine what the Carolina Triangle could bring it in terms of TV?

Now as someone who lives in Big 12 country (close enough to Ames to make it count), I am very skeptical about the idea of adding anyone else who isn't in the Midwestern footprint, like Florida State or Clemson. Bad enough that they added West Virginia for this upcoming season, but what do I know?

Duke and UNC are pretty much tied together. You aren't getting one without the other. These two schools wouldn't mind a smaller-sized conference, anyway.

NC State is very similar to Texas A&M in that they're viewed as the "little brother" to North Carolina, and they're getting tired of it. They're pretty much begging the SEC or Big XII or Big Ten to extend them an invite.

Conspiracy theory:

All of this (ACC exploding, 4 super conferences forming) is one giant internet-fueled bluff in order to drive Notre Dame to join the Big Ten. Think about it. Pac-12 isn't going to grab a school in Indiana, and they want to maintain good ties with the Big Ten so they won't go poaching in the Big Ten's "turf". Despite what Texas wants, the rest of the Big XII won't sign off on a Big East style parking arrangement. South Bend would burn down if the school went SEC. No...the popular option floated over the last year was that if Notre Dame surrendered its independence, it would be to join the ACC before joining the Big Ten. And if the ACC escape route might die while independence ceases to be viable, well then what have we here.

Furthermore, this could be a bit of a quid pro quo arrangement the Big Ten set up. In exchange for not having on campus national semis, the rest of the big boys work to finally land the Big Ten the school they always wanted.

-----------------------------

That said, there's a problem with this round of "SuperConferences are happening!" that leads me to be skeptical. Who will be Pac-12 teams 13-16? Every school not in one of the 4 that is west of the Mississippi River is seriously unattractive for one reason or another.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Conspiracy theory:

All of this (ACC exploding, 4 super conferences forming) is one giant internet-fueled bluff in order to drive Notre Dame to join the Big Ten. Think about it. Pac-12 isn't going to grab a school in Indiana, and they want to maintain good ties with the Big Ten so they won't go poaching in the Big Ten's "turf". Despite what Texas wants, the rest of the Big XII won't sign off on a Big East style parking arrangement. South Bend would burn down if the school went SEC. No...the popular option floated over the last year was that if Notre Dame surrendered its independence, it would be to join the ACC before joining the Big Ten. And if the ACC escape route might die while independence ceases to be viable, well then what have we here.

Furthermore, this could be a bit of a quid pro quo arrangement the Big Ten set up. In exchange for not having on campus national semis, the rest of the big boys work to finally land the Big Ten the school they always wanted.

That said, there's a problem with this round of "SuperConferences are happening!" that leads me to be skeptical. Who will be Pac-12 teams 13-16? Every school not in one of the 4 that is west of the Mississippi River is seriously unattractive for one reason or another.

I think they will stay put for awhile for geo reasons. I'm not sure if the SEC will bite or not. It is the best time with the ACC about to be cherry picked by the Big 12 and possibly the B10. Didn't B10 already express interest in expanding if it presents itself? I don't remember. I can see VT fit in very nicely with the SEC so you might as well grab a 16th. That is why I think NCState. They don't think of basketball like the other two NC schools. Might as well get the NC market with them to bring yourself to 16.

That's the problem I see in all of this. If you look at TV market size, I guess they could add Boise St., New Mexico, UNLV, and UTEP, but I don't think the Pac-12 would want any of those schools. Maybe they'd add Hawaii as a recruiting perk. Again, like the Big 10, they may be forced to do something.

RIP Demitra #38