Division 1 College Conference Realignment

dfwabel

Actually I think Wake Forest's response would be to call Florida State cowards for running away from them.

And just like in football no one will take them seriously.

And that's why FSU has lost 4 of their last 6 games with Wake.

It happens. But don't be clueless for the sake of trolling. Grow up and stick to the topic. I have been an adult, why cant you?

Ehh...Florida State and Clemson are slightly miffed at the new TV contract. So logically based on things I saw on the internet 4 16 team super-conferences are imminent-despite half of those conferences not being willing to go that far and a 3rd Conference not being thrilled at that prospect.

I'm not quite sure how much adult reasoning went into that thought process.

Besides, FSU fans are going to need to grow thicker skins if they join the Big XII. What with being the local third or even fourth banana and all that...well I hope you like frequent road trips to San Diego and San Antonio in January.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

So apparently BYU might finally be coming to their senses and joining the Big East.

Eh...

A 2015 commitment should be treated as no commitment. They, Air Force, and Navy could still easily renege if everything explodes.

You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

<br />Clemson is currently having an emergency meeting for undisclosed reasons. Hmmmm.....<br />
<br /><br /><br />

Hopefully, their Board of Trustees will officially vote to stop over-evaluating themselves. This has gone on since 1983 and has lead to very little but national embarrassment.

More importantly, the Big XII does not meet until next week and Bowlsby does not start until June 15.

<br />Clemson is currently having an emergency meeting for undisclosed reasons. Hmmmm.....<br />
<br /><br /><br />

More importantly, the Big XII does not meet until next week and Bowlsby does not start until June 15.

I think that is when the denials stop happening. I remember Mizzou's higher ups were denying everything for the longest time. But who knows? Like I said a few pages back. Speculation but fun. I am still a believer in where there is smoke there is fire.

Clemson's meeting is over. As expected they said they will highly consider other options.

Assuming they surface.

Today, we are all otaku.

Clemson's meeting is over. As expected they said they will highly consider other options.

Assuming they surface.

If FSU goes, Clemson goes. FSU is going. Besides, this wouldn't go this far if there weren't chats going on. This is 2012. "Meetings" dont have to happen for people to get things in order. "Meetings" are where the formalities are done. They are in. Both were just waiting and see what kind of deal Swofford was going to hatch. The deal was bogus so now they bolt. They have been talking with the Big 12 intensely since January. You may not see the writing, but I do.

Assuming they surface.

If FSU goes, Clemson goes. FSU is going. Besides, this wouldn't go this far if there weren't chats going on. This is 2012. "Meetings" dont have to happen for people to get things in order. "Meetings" are where the formalities are done. They are in. Both were just waiting and see what kind of deal Swofford was going to hatch. The deal was bogus so now they bolt. They have been talking with the Big 12 intensely since January. You may not see the writing, but I do.

The writing is "what does Clemson bring to the table for any other conference?" Crazy fanbase? They have those. Football team in semi-rural or small market state that is divided in loyalties? Got that. Delusions of grandeur? Check. Inexplicable losses that vex all associated with them? Crap, the Big XII just got rid of Aggie, why get one back? All Clemson does is get you to 12 teams and well shoot, there are a lot of other schools that can do that.

If Florida State was smart and serious about this, they'd be working on pressuring Notre Dame to partner with them, not Clemson. I still think enough other parties in college football don't want to see this fall apart so that it's not going to go the way you think it will go.

And of course, I doubt this is going to work out long term on the field for FSU. Yeah, they may have secured a theoretical shot at the college football playoff, but its theoretical in the same way Valencia could theoretically win La Liga. And that's what Florida State would be...the Valencia to Texas and Oklahoma's Real Madrid and Barca. Especially since you just gave an entire conference a new Floridian recruiting foothold.

Today, we are all otaku.

Assuming they surface.

The writing is "what does Clemson bring to the table for any other conference?" Crazy fanbase? They have those. Football team in semi-rural or small market state that is divided in loyalties? Got that. Delusions of grandeur? Check. Inexplicable losses that vex all associated with them? Crap, the Big XII just got rid of Aggie, why get one back? All Clemson does is get you to 12 teams and well shoot, there are a lot of other schools that can do that.

If Florida State was smart and serious about this, they'd be working on pressuring Notre Dame to partner with them, not Clemson. I still think enough other parties in college football don't want to see this fall apart so that it's not going to go the way you think it will go.

And of course, I doubt this is going to work out long term on the field for FSU. Yeah, they may have secured a theoretical shot at the college football playoff, but its theoretical in the same way Valencia could theoretically win La Liga. And that's what Florida State would be...the Valencia to Texas and Oklahoma's Real Madrid and Barca. Especially since you just gave an entire conference a new Floridian recruiting foothold.

D@mn right but historically, Clemson is not even Valencia, they are more like Athletico Madrid, Real Betis, or Sevilla,

If the Big XII takes Clemson, it is all on them. Clemson won their only national title in the 1981-82 season and has used that more than Texas and Michigan did with their last titles until they won them more recently. In fact, Clemson has went 20 years from winning the ACC. That's a generation of disappointment, but places players in the NFL. I've been there and to the ESSO Club and also TD's, but they cannot perform at the Big XII level. They are the new "Tigers" in replacing Mizzou.

I get that "The Solid Verbal" and other podcasts have made Clemson a gerund or even a verb recently, but they deserve it. VT is a better choice if I was in the Big XII room to decide.

Apparently Utah wants to end it's rivalry series with BYU.

Football Realignment: Death of Rivalries and Tradition

Utah is certainly in a tough spot when it comes to scheduling the local rivals going forward...and something's going to have to give.

Things were easy when there were 3 OOC games and BYU was a conference matchup.

A lot of the Holy War's meaning was lost the instant the Utes and Cougs found themselves separated. The PAC12 probably wont allow the game to be Utah's final game of the season. Moreover there will never be standing/title implications. Now with the looming addition of a BIG10 game to the 9 game conference slate...Utah has had to choose between it's fiercest rival or it's oldest rival (USU). Likely it will ditch both or go to a staggered schedule swapping them year-to-year.

Certainly a loss, but I'm not sure anyone would fault Utah for making the choices it's made so far.

jazzsig4

I HATE THIS TIMELINE

Don't get me wrong. I think Clemson is in if only two thing happen.

1. VT turns down the Big 12 for the SEC.

2. FSU says they come with us.

Personally, I think VT is too much for the SEC to turn down and FSU needs a SE partner to cut down on travel. A partner that is invested in football. Clemson may have been the paper tigers but they invest. That big, full stadium helps, too. Miami is about to get the hammer and they already announced budget cuts to the AD. They may be "dead".

West Virginia is "southeast".

Today, we are all otaku.

West Virginia is "southeast".

So?

As stated earlier. FSU would have been better off trying to talk Notre Dame into joining with them. Or BYU.

Today, we are all otaku.