Division 1 College Conference Realignment

dfwabel

So in addition to a Big Ten with 12 teams and a Big XII with 10 teams, we have two schools with teams in the Big East and Big West.

You can thank the BCS and the ridiculous poll system for this crap - everyone's trying to climb up the ladder now hoping for one of the limited spots in the favored superconferences, in order to ever have a chance at a national title or at least a decent bowl invite. It sucks, but this crap is going to keep happening until it all gets figured out.

No.

You can thank ESPN and CBS and conference-specific networks and the bigger money involved with TV (remember, it's the conferences wanting to expand to new markets....not schools begging to be accepted) that led to expansion. Does it not ring any bells to you why Boise State wasn't wanted by the Pac-12, Big Ten, or even a then-desperate Big XII? If it were strictly about football, a better conference than the Big East would have taken BSU long ago. It's about money and TV viewership, and Boise State simply doesn't generate in either category.

Do you actually think before you post? You're starting to become a lot like Tnak, typing in absolutes....

I hated how things went for them when they dropped down. I'd like to see them back in the Sun Belt, but the only way they're getting back in is if the SBC loses some more teams. As of now, 10 football + 2 non-football is a pretty good setup.

How things went? You make it sound like unfortunate things happened to them. They were in the driver's seat the whole time.

Athletic Director: KTU Blue Grassers Football

I hated how things went for them when they dropped down. I'd like to see them back in the Sun Belt, but the only way they're getting back in is if the SBC loses some more teams. As of now, 10 football + 2 non-football is a pretty good setup.

How things went? You make it sound like unfortunate things happened to them. They were in the driver's seat the whole time.

They drove Katrina? Dicks.

They drove Katrina? Dicks.

Read you own post: "when they dropped down." Katrina was 7 years ago. They decided to drop down 2 years ago and actually did it last year. They botched the handling of the process in my opinion and Katrina had nothing to do with it.

Athletic Director: KTU Blue Grassers Football

Loyola, who just came off winning their first national championship in May, is heading to the Patriot League next year

Sad to see them leave the MAAC :(

I wonder if they will go with 9 teams or find a replacement team to stay at 10?

I say find a replacement team to go back to 10. My choice?

NJIT.

So out of the current FBS schools, I believe only Idaho and New Mexico State don't have homes for next year. Will these teams be able to make it as independents or where do you guys think they'll end up?

I think everyone else in the WAC has a home for next year, UTSA and LA Tech to Conference USA, Utah St and SJ State to Mountain West, and Texas St to Sun Belt.

Also the Big East will be getting SMU, UCF, Memphis, Houston, Boise St, and San Diego St next year, and Navy in 2015.

Any other confirmed changes for next year/season? :wacko:

So out of the current FBS schools, I believe only Idaho and New Mexico State don't have homes for next year. Will these teams be able to make it as independents or where do you guys think they'll end up?

I think everyone else in the WAC has a home for next year, UTSA and LA Tech to Conference USA, Utah St and SJ State to Mountain West, and Texas St to Sun Belt.

Also the Big East will be getting SMU, UCF, Memphis, Houston, Boise St, and San Diego St next year, and Navy in 2015.

OK, follow along:

-Pittsburgh and Syracuse to the ACC from the Big East

-North Texas and FIU to C-USA from the Sun Belt (Charlotte and ODU also joins C-USA, but won't play football until 2015 though)

-Georgia State to the Sun Belt from the CAA

As for Idaho and NMSU: I don't know if they sustain being an independent for very long because it's not easy to do unless you're Notre Dame.

OK, follow along:

-North Texas and FIU to C-USA from the Sun Belt (Charlotte and ODU also joins C-USA, but won't play football until 2015 though)

As for Idaho and NMSU: I don't know if they sustain being an independent for very long because it's not easy to do unless you're Notre Dame.

D'oh! I knew those two were leaving the Big East. Didn't catch the others, thanks. Georgia St playing FBS ball next year?

I tend to agree on the outlook for the prospective new independents. Maybe they can work out their own TV deal like BYU? ^_^

OK, follow along:

D'oh! I knew those two were leaving the Big East. Didn't catch the others, thanks. Georgia St playing FBS ball next year?

I tend to agree on the outlook for the prospective new independents. Maybe they can work out their own TV deal like BYU? ^_^

Both NMSU and Idaho have been given state approval to go independent. Their biggest issue will have to be in getting four FBS opponents at home. They can schedule one FCS team to make five home games, and then take the cash to play seven games on the road.

Remember that BYU had the benefit of their own TV network which was available in over 60 million homes on cable/DISH/DirecTV. As a result, ESPN did not have to factor in production costs which they had to for Longhorn Network. there are vastly more LDSers across the USA than alumni of Idaho and NMSU.

• 2 weeks later...

Per ESPN.. Notre Dame is joining the ACC in all sports but football and hockey. However they will play five games a year in football against ACC teams.

The move will happen as soon as they can.

http://m.espn.go.com/extra/ncaa/story?storyId=8369070

Everyone else to the ACC: AHAHAHAHAHAHA YOU SIMPLE FOOLS!

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Good move for Notre Dame football... Keeps the schedule full without having to resort playing lesser conferences or FCS schools, and still allows enough space for their traditional matchups. PLUS, gives them a foothold in the southern recruiting market.

Overall, this is the best option for ND.

Stay Tuned Sports Podcast
sB9ijEj.png

Never saw this coming. But, there is one sport that will definatly benefit from having Notre Dame in: Lacrosse.

Syracuse joins Duke, Maryland, North Carolina and Virginia next season. Say they add Notre Dame in 2014. In about 3 or 4 years, you'll see the ACC have an automatic bid to the NCAA Tournament.

Never saw this coming. But, there is one sport that will definatly benefit from having Notre Dame in: Lacrosse.

Syracuse joins Duke, Maryland, North Carolina and Virginia next season. Say they add Notre Dame in 2014. In about 3 or 4 years, you'll see the ACC have an automatic bid to the NCAA Tournament.

It's not like they needed one.

Just wondering about what the Big 12 will do. Expansion to 12 is on their agenda but who?

Louisville? BYU?

Actually, the Big 12 reiterated last week that expansion is off the table at the moment, because only Notre Dame moves the needle enough to be viable, and well look at what just happened.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Per ESPN.. Notre Dame is joining the ACC in all sports but football and hockey. However they will play five games a year in football against ACC teams.

The move will happen as soon as they can.

http://m.espn.go.com/extra/ncaa/story?storyId=8369070

I felt that ESPN and Digger Phelps helped moved ND to the ACC.

Orlando%20Magic_zpsjn8kx3lf.png