Division 1 College Conference Realignment

dfwabel

Colorado is a short-run loser in this. By jumping the gun (they thought Texas was on its way) they will have to give up Big 12 TV money for two or three years which their athletic department can hardly afford in light of the fact that the school couldn't raise $3 million to buy out Hawkins' contract.

But saying the Pac-12 got its champagne is a stretch at best. CU has a faltering football program, a weak-as-water basketball program and zero baseball. Fan support is casual in Boulder and the Denver market is more NFL-oriented. To say getting CU was good enough just isn't so.

They are not looking at it short term, they are looking long term. That may mean a new coach but also more interest in that the team is in the Pac-10 and a season with Pac-1- money. Football is driving the revenue, so baseball is not an issue since Oregon went without baseball for 26 years. The fact that they will play games in their same time zone or later will impact local ratings.

Since Utah is leaving the MWC, what does that really bode for The Mtn. Network? Most programs seemed slanted to BYU or Utah regardless. Plus, their production value and on-screen talent is 50% better than cable access.

Colorado is a short-run loser in this. By jumping the gun (they thought Texas was on its way) they will have to give up Big 12 TV money for two or three years which their athletic department can hardly afford in light of the fact that the school couldn't raise $3 million to buy out Hawkins' contract.

How can they not raise the money? IT'S DIVISION ONE FOOTBALL

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

2-On expansion, Dan Beebe said the following: "At this point in time, and based upon all the feedback from our membership, it's dead on both levels. The first level is there's no interest in looking at expansion. The second level is ? that in the remote chance we would consider expansion and that would be a few years in the future ? there seems to be no interest and really no motivation to look at expansion with institutions that are already within the five-state region."

"Anyway, expansion is pointless because Texas will be pulling the rug out from under this Conference in 2-3 years anyway." Beebe continued.

Here is why this thing is so done.

Obstacles in starting the Longhorn Network

Credit: Austin American-Statesman

The timetable is uncertain, startup costs are significant, and only one other school in the nation has launched a similar enterprise with any degree of success. The business model under consideration suggests that UT could find an investor or investors, line up media partners and offset some of the startup costs by converting existing space inside Royal-Memorial Stadium, rather than creating production facilities from scratch.

UT athletics has a small footprint in cable now. Time Warner Cable carries BEVOD ? a video-on-demand service dedicated to Longhorn sports ? for $3.99 a month. The service, available to Time Warner customers in Dallas, San Antonio, Waco and Austin, has roughly 6,000 subscribers, Plonsky said.

The cost of starting a Longhorn network with original programming and live sporting events could run between $15 million and $30 million. The university would need a studio with a set or sets, floor cameras and stage lighting, editing equipment, an audio board and computers.

The larger expense is personnel. To run a basic studio-based system, UT would need a production staff, engineers, producers, on-air talent and a sales team.

• 1 month later...
On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

No surprises here. Soldier Field is a piece of crap and the media fears all things Detroit, so it was basically between Cleveland and Indy with the latter having more hotel space and being the established home of the mens hoops tourney.

I'd love to see the game being held at Lambeau, but some sort of high speed rail from Downtown Milwaukee to Lombardi Avenue would probably have to be built to make that feasible.

Makes sense as the Big Ten has there basketball tournament in Indy only fitting Football would be there. Though I would love to have see the Big Ten take the Conference Championship outside be it Columbus, Green Bay, Ann Arbor, whatever.

JETS|PACK|JAYS|NUFC|BAMA|BOMBERS|RAPS|ORANJE|

No surprises here. Soldier Field is a piece of crap and the media fears all things Detroit, so it was basically between Cleveland and Indy with the latter having more hotel space and being the established home of the mens hoops tourney.

I'd love to see the game being held at Lambeau, but some sort of high speed rail from Downtown Milwaukee to Lombardi Avenue would probably have to be built to make that feasible.

If you've actually been inside Soldier Field its not a piece of crap at all. At least it feels like a football stadium instead of a Mall (like Lucas Oil)

but still good choice

If you've actually been inside Soldier Field its not a piece of crap at all. At least it feels like a football stadium instead of a Mall (like Lucas Oil)

but still good choice

I was referring to the notoriously terrible playing surface... I can't imagine the Big Ten being thrilled at the idea of holding its December championship game on a field that usually has to be re-sodded by November. Although I can honestly say I've never heard anything negative about the fan experience there.

Having been inside Soldier Field, I beg to differ. The plebian seats on the west side of the stadium are absurdly steep, and the concourse has all the charm and coziness of the Metrodome. But hey, it's got toilets, so, upgrade, I guess.

Never mind that the exterior is an architectural embarrassment unfit for any sort of national television showcase, and that they still can't figure out how to grow grass there, but can't install FieldTurf, because that would enrage the obese lunkheads.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

There's also nowhere to park, at least reasonably and affordably.

FieldTurf is no panacea for Soldier Field's ills. If the Park District installed FieldTurf, they'd still manage to half-ass that too. Watch, they'd forget to install a drainage system so that there are inches of standing water that nobody would know how to get rid of. If the Redskins can ask for another new stadium because 91,000 seats with ample parking doesn't cut it, the Bears should be able to play the same card with 61,000 seats and no parking. I don't care if that means they play in Itasca or something. What a dump.

There's also nowhere to park, at least reasonably and affordably.

FieldTurf is no panacea for Soldier Field's ills. If the Park District installed FieldTurf, they'd still manage to half-ass that too. Watch, they'd forget to install a drainage system so that there are inches of standing water that nobody would know how to get rid of. If the Redskins can ask for another new stadium because 91,000 seats with ample parking doesn't cut it, the Bears should be able to play the same card with 61,000 seats and no parking. I don't care if that means they play in Itasca or something. What a dump.

Why does the NFL's second largest market, with a slavishly devoted fanbase, have its smallest stadium by capacity?

You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Because Da Bears have gotta play in Soljuhrs Field, cuz dat's da tradition. (Tradition meaning "from Coach Ditka onward".) The Soldier Field revamp has been a fiasco from about 15 years before its start (The Bears are moving to Hoffman Estates! The Bears are moving to Gary! The Bears are moving to Thornton Quarry!) to the present day. Given the renovations at Memorial Stadium, part of me thinks they might have been better off staying in Champaign.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

Why does the NFL's second largest market, with a slavishly devoted fanbase, have its smallest stadium by capacity?

Failure to fully grasp NFL supply and demand. They figured they could charge a premium for seats if there were fewer of them, forgetting that demand for NFL games is virtually inelastic in cities that aren't Jacksonville, and as such could've charged just as much for 75,000 seats as they could for 61,000. (Also, there's a good chance that anything bigger would sink through the landfill and into the lake.) I suppose they make enough money on luxury suites that the rest of the gate doesn't matter, but it's still pretty lame to have such a small stadium for, you know, the Chicago Bears. But hey, we'll never have a blackout!

Where the Bears play isn't terribly important to me, within reason. It's not crucial that they play on the lakefront, since if you think about it, it never really made a lot of sense to have a football field amidst a bunch of world-class museums, even when Soldier Field wasn't an eyesore. I mean, I don't want them in Gary, for Christ's sake, but I'm sure there were better options than this.

Ford Field already hosts the MAC Championship game. Why give a field 2 conference championships?

If they're determined to host it in a neutral NFL stadium, how many other geographical FieldTurf choices are there? Cincinnati, Minneapolis, Indy or Detroit? How many BigTen teams play on grass? Penn State is one, maybe Purdue? Iowa? At most, three out of eleven. Makes sense to keep it on turf, especially if they want to use an NFL field. Otherwise, put the game in Pittsburgh or Cleveland.

Back-to-Back Fatal Forty Champion 2015 & 2016

If and when the superconference era comes, they had better scrap the BCS with it. The superconferences would suck all the fun out of the BCS.

The BCS sucks all the fun out of itself.

Today, we are all otaku.