Division 1 College Conference Realignment

dfwabel

If I was Boise State, Colorado State, Fresno State, and San Diego State right now, I'd be backpedling my way back into the Mountain West, leaving Oregon State and Washington State no other option but to join the Mountain West. I mean it wouldn't be the first time Boise and San Diego announced departures and then changed their minds. Remember they almost joined the Big East about 15 years ago.

• Like 1
  • LOL 3

Signature intentionally left blank

C'mon now, don't hate on Utah State!  Though they got some ups and downs, even in their down years they always seem to make it to a bowl game and to the Big Dance.  In every conference they've been in, the Aggies have been contenders (remember, they had a Derek Carr-led Fresno State on the ropes in the very first Mountain West title game, and they won it over San Diego State in 2021, costing the Aztecs an NY6 bowl berth.)  So I think they can remain a threat even on this higher level.

Furthermore, it frees up more space for the Mountain West to add some teams...possibly those FCS stalwarts who've been ready for FBS for a LOOONG time.  Maybe even Southern Utah can get an invite to the MW (I admit, it feels wrong for the conference to have NO Utah teams whatsoever, which I believe is why they added USU in the first place after UU and BYU left)

EDIT: This just in...it appears that UNLV hasn't fully committed to the Mountain West after all. 

Of course, the more important question is...if UNLV joins the Pac, does that mean they have to change their name to Vegas State?

v40P3lq.png

We already knew Utah State accepted and that Gonzaga's talking to the Pac, but UConn is new. I don't really get taking them over Hawaii (who is confirmed to have not signed any commitment to the MWC) if they're looking for football-only members, but I guess they're not really in a position to be picking and choosing right now after so everyone but USU turned them down today.

ExJworW.png

1 hour ago, PrimalCookie said:

We already knew Utah State accepted and that Gonzaga's talking to the Pac, but UConn is new. I don't really get taking them over Hawaii (who is confirmed to have not signed any commitment to the MWC) if they're looking for football-only members, but I guess they're not really in a position to be picking and choosing right now after so everyone but USU turned them down today.

Again, Hawaii's not going to be an attractive option until they play in something better than a couple sets of temporary bleachers.

• Like 2

VmWIn6B.png

Clearly the PAC-X needs to rename itself to the STATE Athletic Conference

• Boise State

• Colorado State

• Fresno State

• Oregon State

• San Diego State

• Utah State

• Washington State

It’s becoming clear this conference must add Texas State from the Sun Belt and North Dakota State, South Dakota State, and Montana State from the FCS ranks to retain credibility.

”Welcome to the State Athletic Conference. Be ready to get SAC’d

• Like 1

15 hours ago, McCall said:

So UConn would be in both the BIG EAST and PACIFIC-12 at the same time... 😐

This feels like the perfect depiction of the current state of collegiate sports. 

• Like 2

"I always wanted to be somebody, but now I realize I should have been more specific." Lily Tomlin

13 hours ago, LMU said:

Again, Hawaii's not going to be an attractive option until they play in something better than a couple sets of temporary bleachers.

Also pretty sure Hawai'i subsidizes travel currently in the Big West, which is a lot cheaper across the board in an all-California conference than the new Pac-12 (both in getting schools to the island + being able to play multiple conference games with one round-trip flight).

6fQjS3M.png

With Utah State potentially being next in line to join the remodified Pac-12, who would be the possible #8? And will they stay at 8 (unfortunately) or will it eventually expand back to 12?

14 minutes ago, crashcarson15 said:

Also pretty sure Hawai'i subsidizes travel currently in the Big West, which is a lot cheaper across the board in an all-California conference than the new Pac-12 (both in getting schools to the island + being able to play multiple conference games with one round-trip flight).

That's currently realistic. However, what if at some point in the future (hypothetically) that these other sports don't wanna play for the Big West and want to play in a suitable regional conference that is FBS material?

Florida State Seminoles fan for life (mostly on football, basketball and baseball)! 2011-12 ACC men's basketball conference tournament champions; 2012, 2013 & 2014 ACC football Atlantic Division champions; 2012, 2013 & 2014 ACC football regular season champions; 2012, 2013 & 2014 ACC football conference bowl tournament champions; 2014 NCAA D-I FBS BCS national champions!

2 hours ago, DCarp1231 said:

I’m wish these two would quit bickering and marry each other already 

Seriously.  At this point let Air Force run off to the AAC with its Military brethren and you have your 12 full members.  Hawaii's even been contemplating dropping football in the past so no sense in bringing them in as an albatross, plus Hawaii can probably successfully manage to go independent with the continental US rule bringing teams in for that 13th game.  And sure, go ahead and sweet talk Gonzaga and Saint Mary's in for basketball for the hell of it.  Might be the only way my alma mater ever gets within shouting distance of a bracket.

VmWIn6B.png

@B-Rich Due to said commitment, that potentially and literally killed the effort for the Pac-12 to be more stable from a member school expansion standpoint (i.e.: getting back to 12 members, which is a half more of amount to pass the 8-team minimum)

Florida State Seminoles fan for life (mostly on football, basketball and baseball)! 2011-12 ACC men's basketball conference tournament champions; 2012, 2013 & 2014 ACC football Atlantic Division champions; 2012, 2013 & 2014 ACC football regular season champions; 2012, 2013 & 2014 ACC football conference bowl tournament champions; 2014 NCAA D-I FBS BCS national champions!