Bengals WR Chris Henry in Serious Condition

bosox

Question: are we hailing this guy's "attempt at turning his life around" if he doesn't die doing whatever he was trying to do to his fiancee?

Actually there was a lot of local press about his turn around during preseason when they addressed it on Hard Knocks and again when he went down with his forearm injury. So his death only heightened the coverage nationally, but what else do you want them to write about? When was the last time somebody famous died and people said "man, he was a dick."

You see it at the CCSLC pretty much every time someone famous dies, especially an athlete.

On January 16, 2013 at 3:49 PM, NJTank said:

Btw this is old hat for Notre Dame. Knits Rockne made up George Tip's death bed speech.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Question: are we hailing this guy's "attempt at turning his life around" if he doesn't die doing whatever he was trying to do to his fiancee?

Actually there was a lot of local press about his turn around during preseason when they addressed it on Hard Knocks and again when he went down with his forearm injury. So his death only heightened the coverage nationally, but what else do you want them to write about? When was the last time somebody famous died and people said "man, he was a dick."

You see it at the CCSLC pretty much every time someone famous dies, especially an athlete.

well of course anonymous posters on message boards are going to say things, but I was talking about actual journalists.

PvO6ZWJ.png

If you do, it's a backlash against the CCSLC's larger tradition of Sympathy Olympics.

Chris Henry was by all accounts a bad guy. He lived his life doing bad things, and seems to have died doing bad things. I don't think he deserves a leaguewide moment of silence.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

I mean, if you're a guy with a history of violence, jumping into the back of a truck to pursue a woman who is fleeing you, what are you most likely doing? Delivering freshly baked cookies?

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

If you do, it's a backlash against the CCSLC's larger tradition of Sympathy Olympics.

Chris Henry was by all accounts a bad guy. He lived his life doing bad things, and seems to have died doing bad things. I don't think he deserves a leaguewide moment of silence.

Don't read into what I wrote. I'm not saying Chris Henry was a good guy, did good things, delivered freshly baked cookies, deserves any sympathy, or even a leaguewide moment of silence. I'm just saying that there are people here at the CCSLC that will say something like, "man, he was a dick" pretty much everytime a famous person dies, especially an athlete. I'm not saying I agree or disagree with these statements, just simply telling it like it is, homey.

It is what it is. No need to argue a point that isn't being made.

On January 16, 2013 at 3:49 PM, NJTank said:

Btw this is old hat for Notre Dame. Knits Rockne made up George Tip's death bed speech.

I mean, if you're a guy with a history of violence, jumping into the back of a truck to pursue a woman who is fleeing you, what are you most likely doing? Delivering freshly baked cookies?

I was literally going to post the same thing, but more like this:

I've heard so many people saying, "He was turning his life around!" or "just as things were looking better..." BS. THe guy was trying to stop his wife from leaving his house, and the only way to do this was to JUMP IN THE CAR?!?!? What could he possibly be doing? "Honey, wait! Dont leave! I made cookies!!!!!!"

sigpurp.png

---Owner of the NHA's Philadelphia Quakers, the UBA's Chicago Skyliners, and the CFA's Portland Beavers (2010 CFA2 Champions)---

He had serious issues

Definitely. Threatening to kill yourself over a bitch is way more f'd up than threatening to kill yourself over Omar Minaya.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

He had serious issues

Definitely. Threatening to kill yourself over a bitch is way more f'd up than threatening to kill yourself over Omar Minaya.

This is the stuff I'll never understand from posters. Why the f*** are comments like this necessary? I'm not gonna edit your post--I don't think you broke any rules. But we talk about being a dick, well here you go.

There's a faction here that's overly sympathetic (where I fall), and then there's a faction thats too cool to care. Is it not better to be too nice?

He had serious issues

This is the stuff I'll never understand from posters. Why the f*** are comments like this necessary? I'm not gonna edit your post--I don't think you broke any rules. But we talk about being a dick, well here you go.

There's a faction here that's overly sympathetic (where I fall), and then there's a faction thats too cool to care. Is it not better to be too nice?

You may want to edit your post, so nobody sees it and realizes what an overreacting, over sensitive person your are.

Give me a break. That post was ridiculous.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

He had serious issues

You may want to edit your post, so nobody sees it and realizes what an overreacting, over sensitive person your are.

Sorry, happy with my post. I get tired of seeing people on here try and get some sense of entitlement by ragging on other posters, specifically over an issue like the one you're giving him trouble for. "Haha, you threatened to kill yourself!"

I saw one too many and snapped, but I don't take back what I said.

He had serious issues

Sorry, happy with my post. I get tired of seeing people on here try and get some sense of entitlement by ragging on other posters, specifically over an issue like the one you're giving him trouble for. "Haha, you threatened to kill yourself!"

We are all moderators.

He had serious issues

I'll just reiterate that mocking superfandom is okay in my book. Mocking suicide isn't. For what it's worth, I agree with the sentiment of your post.

I hope I can still be one of the cool kids.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

I was literally going to post the same thing, but more like this:

I've heard so many people saying, "He was turning his life around!" or "just as things were looking better..." BS. THe guy was trying to stop his wife from leaving his house, and the only way to do this was to JUMP IN THE CAR?!?!? What could he possibly be doing? "Honey, wait! Dont leave! I made cookies!!!!!!"

Maybe he couldn't stand to lose her, since she was the person that helped him his life around.

I don't get why nobody gives Chris Henry the benefit of the doubt here. He had problems in the past. He hasn't had any recently (until this unfortunate mishap). Why was everyone so quick to paint Josh Hamilton a hero after he had problems in his past?

He had serious issues

I'll just reiterate that mocking superfandom is okay in my book. Mocking suicide isn't. For what it's worth, I agree with the sentiment of your post.

I hope I can still be one of the cool kids.

I'm still fine with all of you, BBTV included. I don't like it per se, but I can shrug off the mocking that comes my way. I put myself out there to take it, it's intended to be funny, and hey, sometimes it actually is ;). But there's times like this when I think it crosses the line.

Archived