2009-10 NFL off season thread

Saintsfan

Aside from those pirate-style numbers TB used on their practice jerseys, do any other teams use a different number font? Here's Saints draftee Sean Canfield and as you can see, they use 'San Diego'numbers.

rookiecamp-4-72dpi-25894--nfl_medium_540_360.jpg

...but only on the QB jerseys. The other guys have the same font as the game jerseys. Looks odd to see somebody other than Deuce wearing 26:

rookiecamp-72-dpi-26236--nfl_medium_540_360.jpg

Just out of curiosity, does anyone think the statement I bolded applies to anyone outside of New Orleans? I don't.

Since I live in metro Atlanta, apparently it does. B) Forgive me for not being more clear. Let me try again. Looks odd to me and to other Saints fans I'm sure to see somebody other than Deuce wearing 26.

Better?

Not better, but not worse. I knew Deuce McAllister was a good running back, but I never thought he was good enough to where his number would become just as big as his name.

No, that's better. There's plenty of players who aren't HOFers but were with their team for several years, were well liked and respected by the fan base, and became nearly "institutions" for lack of a better word. I wouldn't bat an eyelash to see some rookie wearing 26 for the saints, but I get what he's saying. Duce Staley was slightly above average at best, but worked really hard and was a class act. I still find it odd to see a lazy wuss like Asante Samuel wearing his number. I feel the same way about Hugh Douglas and Jeremiah Trotter. Certanly not going to the HOF or getting their numbers retired, but to me, they "own" their numbers in those jerseys (funny - I'm pretty sure Trotter was the one who fell down vs. Deuce in that playoff game. He was supposedly so embarrassed by his performance that he had his head down and didn't speak at all on the way back to Phila., admitted that he had lost a step, and was released before the end of the next training camp.)

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

• Replies 782
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Aside from those pirate-style numbers TB used on their practice jerseys, do any other teams use a different number font? Here's Saints draftee Sean Canfield and as you can see, they use 'San Diego'numbers.

rookiecamp-4-72dpi-25894--nfl_medium_540_360.jpg

...but only on the QB jerseys. The other guys have the same font as the game jerseys. Looks odd to see somebody other than Deuce wearing 26:

rookiecamp-72-dpi-26236--nfl_medium_540_360.jpg

Just out of curiosity, does anyone think the statement I bolded applies to anyone outside of New Orleans? I don't.

Since I live in metro Atlanta, apparently it does. B) Forgive me for not being more clear. Let me try again. Looks odd to me and to other Saints fans I'm sure to see somebody other than Deuce wearing 26.

Better?

Not better, but not worse. I knew Deuce McAllister was a good running back, but I never thought he was good enough to where his number would become just as big as his name.

No, that's better. There's plenty of players who aren't HOFers but were with their team for several years, were well liked and respected by the fan base, and became nearly "institutions" for lack of a better word. I wouldn't bat an eyelash to see some rookie wearing 26 for the saints, but I get what he's saying. Duce Staley was slightly above average at best, but worked really hard and was a class act. I still find it odd to see a lazy wuss like Asante Samuel wearing his number. I feel the same way about Hugh Douglas and Jeremiah Trotter. Certanly not going to the HOF or getting their numbers retired, but to me, they "own" their numbers in those jerseys (funny - I'm pretty sure Trotter was the one who fell down vs. Deuce in that playoff game. He was supposedly so embarrassed by his performance that he had his head down and didn't speak at all on the way back to Phila., admitted that he had lost a step, and was released before the end of the next training camp.)

Hey, somebody gets it! :D

And yeah, Trotter didn't have a good game in that '06 playoff. Aside from getting dragged across the goal line, Deuce also juked him out of his shoes on a short TD pass. It's at 6:31 of the previously linked video.

92512B20-6264-4E6C-AAF2-7A1D44E9958B-481-00000047E259721F.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...

Total scum. The Skins are idiots for shelling out that kind of dough for a guy who had only made the Pro Bowl twice in seven seasons, and to me, is best known for cleating a Dallas player in the face. When will Snyder ever learn?

Danny Boy will never learn, which is why I am extremely happy that he hired actual football people (Bruce Allen/Mike Shanahan) to run the football operations, instead of keeping a marionette general manager and a head coach who was never even an NFL coordinator around.

Haynesworth cost a TON of money, but it's an uncapped year, so just cut him. Just give him away and let him be someone else's problem.

On January 16, 2013 at 3:49 PM, NJTank said:

Btw this is old hat for Notre Dame. Knits Rockne made up George Tip's death bed speech.

Total scum. The Skins are idiots for shelling out that kind of dough for a guy who had only made the Pro Bowl twice in seven seasons, and to me, is best known for cleating a Dallas player in the face. When will Snyder ever learn?

Danny Boy will never learn, which is why I am extremely happy that he hired actual football people (Bruce Allen/Mike Shanahan) to run the football operations, instead of keeping a marionette general manager and a head coach who was never even an NFL coordinator around.

Haynesworth cost a TON of money, but it's an uncapped year, so just cut him. Just give him away and let him be someone else's problem.

Its really too bad they inherited that problem. Allen should tie Danny up, shove the checkbook and pen in his hand, have enough room to write the check, shove him in a closet, and only let him see the light of day except to write said checks.

duscarf2013.pngg6uheq4mgvrndguzuzak1pcte.gif
"I don't understand where you got this idea so deeply ingrained in your head (that this world) is something that you must impress, cause I couldn't care less"

http://keepdcunited.org

Panthers' WR Steve Smith injured during a pick-up game of football ..... FLAG football.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=5311067

He's lucky that this happened in June (since he should have enough time to get back into playing shape) or he doesn't have a bad record on him...because 1)the media would be killing him right now & 2) this is just bizarre. Even after reading and understanding how it happened, still bizarre to hear that he broke his arm playing flag football.

I don't think he's gonna miss any regular season games...but that arm isn't going to be 100%.

Well hes a football player a Wide Receiver I dont see any problem with him playing flag football. It is a way of working out for the season since he needs to catch the ball .

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

Well hes a football player a Wide Receiver I dont see any problem with him playing flag football. It is a way of working out for the season since he needs to catch the ball .

Kinda like how Brettfavre plays catch with high schoolers while he holds his team hostage each and every summer.

6uXNWAo.png

Kinda like how Brettfavre plays catch with high schoolers while he holds his team hostage each and every summer.

Exactly, but in Steve Smith's case he is not being a douche bag about it.

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

Exactly, but in Steve Smith's case he is not being a douche bag about it.

Except when he goes on Sirius NFL Radio and says if people would just think "outside their shallow boxes" they'd understand that the game holds a lot more for him than money and that's why he was playing flag football in a YMCA league. :wacko:

Speaking of Fav-ruh (and his d-bag routine), he denies having decided to play while stating he'd sure like to "go beat the Saints" in the season opener. :rolleyes:

92512B20-6264-4E6C-AAF2-7A1D44E9958B-481-00000047E259721F.jpeg

Speaking of Fav-ruh (and his d-bag routine), he denies having decided to play while stating he'd sure like to "go beat the Saints" in the season opener. :rolleyes:

Sounds about right for Brett. The guy is a chronic liar. How he has such a loyal following of fans is beyond me. I'm sorry, but athletes who lie through their teeth (i.e. Barry Bonds), I have little ZERO respect for.

6uXNWAo.png

Archived