2009-10 NFL off season thread

Saintsfan

• Replies 782
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As soon as a Alex Barron (STL) signs his tender, it looks that he will be traded to DAL for Bobby Carpenter. Barron's tender is for $2.73 million and Carpenter's base for 2010 is $1.19 million, with $1.895 million of incentives.

Rams fans, Barron is not in the team's plans as they drafted Jason Smith last year and Saffold this past draft, what is wrong with him? He has started at both LT and RT in his career and seems to be very durable (he has started every game in the last four seasons).

Carpenter could not get on the field outside of special teams.

As soon as a Alex Barron (STL) signs his tender, it looks that he will be traded to DAL for Bobby Carpenter. Barron's tender is for $2.73 million and Carpenter's base for 2010 is $1.19 million, with $1.895 million of incentives.

Rams fans, Barron is not in the team's plans as they drafted Jason Smith last year and Saffold this past draft, what is wrong with him? He has started at both LT and RT in his career and seems to be very durable (he has started every game in the last four seasons).

Barron's biggest issues are that he's kind of lazy (takes plays off...to poor effect for his quarterbacks), is easily distr....oooh shiny!, does not appear to take time learning about his playbook, and he's one of the NFL's leaders in false start and other penalty yardage pretty much every season he's played.

Honestly, his durability is pretty much the only reason the Rams haven't kicked him to the curb. I've mentally theorized that Barron is actually aware of this factor, and perhaps his inability to play hard consistently is a function of this.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Barron's biggest issues are that he's kind of lazy (takes plays off...to poor effect for his quarterbacks), is easily distr....oooh shiny!, does not appear to take time learning about his playbook, and he's one of the NFL's leaders in false start and other penalty yardage pretty much every season he's played.

Honestly, his durability is pretty much the only reason the Rams haven't kicked him to the curb. I've mentally theorized that Barron is actually aware of this factor, and perhaps his inability to play hard consistently is a function of this.

Thanks.

He is an underachiever...like Leonard Davis was considered before he signed with DAL in 2007 and moved to RT. I did find out, in the last four seasons, Barron had more false start penalties (34) than even Adams (29). I guess the issue will be is he going to start at LT over Doug Free; Davis should stay at RT.

Feel a little dumb now?

[uPDATE: As it turns out, the Patriots weren't at fault for disappointing any students. The New England Dairy Council, which also sponsored the event, is taking the full blame for the miscommunication. Gary Wheelock, the group's CEO, has apologized for the error, saying that they never meant to imply that actual players would show up. The videotape was the plan all along, but that got lost somewhere along the way.

Wheelock also said that the group will try to make amends to the kids, who took the whole thing in stride, as noted in the original post below. Wheelock also apologized to the Patriots for subjecting them to negative press.

That certainly includes this blog post, so I owe an apology, too, to the Patriots and their fans. I am very sorry.

Feel a little dumb now?

[uPDATE: As it turns out, the Patriots weren't at fault for disappointing any students. The New England Dairy Council, which also sponsored the event, is taking the full blame for the miscommunication. Gary Wheelock, the group's CEO, has apologized for the error, saying that they never meant to imply that actual players would show up. The videotape was the plan all along, but that got lost somewhere along the way.

Wheelock also said that the group will try to make amends to the kids, who took the whole thing in stride, as noted in the original post below. Wheelock also apologized to the Patriots for subjecting them to negative press.

That certainly includes this blog post, so I owe an apology, too, to the Patriots and their fans. I am very sorry.

I am in no way responsible for the content of that link. ^_^

Seriously though, good thing that Wheelock took responsibility for that PR disaster.

And yes I apologize to the Patriots. :P

qvxym9f.png
Many thanks to Discrimihater for making the sig.

Aside from those pirate-style numbers TB used on their practice jerseys, do any other teams use a different number font? Here's Saints draftee Sean Canfield and as you can see, they use 'San Diego'numbers.

rookiecamp-4-72dpi-25894--nfl_medium_540_360.jpg

...but only on the QB jerseys. The other guys have the same font as the game jerseys. Looks odd to see somebody other than Deuce wearing 26:

rookiecamp-72-dpi-26236--nfl_medium_540_360.jpg

92512B20-6264-4E6C-AAF2-7A1D44E9958B-481-00000047E259721F.jpeg

Aside from those pirate-style numbers TB used on their practice jerseys, do any other teams use a different number font? Here's Saints draftee Sean Canfield and as you can see, they use 'San Diego'numbers.

...but only on the QB jerseys. The other guys have the same font as the game jerseys. Looks odd to see somebody other than Deuce wearing 26:

The Bengals do

89544673.jpg?v=1&c=IWSAsset&k=2&d=77BFBA49EF878921CC759DF4EBAC47D041D74EE5716404E6CA5AB06595157821A161DF9100919094E30A760B0D811297

PvO6ZWJ.png

Just out of curiosity, does anyone think the statement I bolded applies to anyone outside of New Orleans? I don't.

Thanks.

He is an underachiever...like Leonard Davis was considered before he signed with DAL in 2007 and moved to RT. I did find out, in the last four seasons, Barron had more false start penalties (34) than even Adams (29). I guess the issue will be is he going to start at LT over Doug Free; Davis should stay at RT.

As a first round pick, Barron was a disappointment. But because of that, Rams fans undervalue him as a lineman, I believe. I'm less convinced he takes plays off, although he certainly has mental lapses (as referenced by the large number of false starts). He's a serviceable lineman. If you can use him as a depth lineman, you're in good shape (which is one reason I'm a little worried about this trade--Rams could use the line depth). If you're using him as a starter, you're by no means in bad shape.

He wasn't worth a first, but he's a legit lineman.

Just out of curiosity, does anyone think the statement I bolded applies to anyone outside of New Orleans? I don't.

Since I live in metro Atlanta, apparently it does. B) Forgive me for not being more clear. Let me try again. Looks odd to me and to other Saints fans I'm sure to see somebody other than Deuce wearing 26.

Better?

Thanks.

As a first round pick, Barron was a disappointment. But because of that, Rams fans undervalue him as a lineman, I believe. I'm less convinced he takes plays off, although he certainly has mental lapses (as referenced by the large number of false starts). He's a serviceable lineman. If you can use him as a depth lineman, you're in good shape (which is one reason I'm a little worried about this trade--Rams could use the line depth). If you're using him as a starter, you're by no means in bad shape.

He wasn't worth a first, but he's a legit lineman.

Marc Bulger went off on Barron several times. Bulger rarely goes off. That says a lot right there.

Personally, if the injury situation had ever permitted the Rams to "experimentally" bench Barron, I think the line would play just as well, if not better.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Perhaps. The line was actually pretty good last year, though. S-Jax ran wild, and sacks were down (even if plentiful). I don't mean to stand up for Barron too much, though. He was what he was. I just think he sometimes gets undervalued by Rams fans simply because he didn't live up to the first round pick that was used on him.

I'm not upset to be losing him (although I liked the idea that of line-depth).

Since I live in metro Atlanta, apparently it does. B) Forgive me for not being more clear. Let me try again. Looks odd to me and to other Saints fans I'm sure to see somebody other than Deuce wearing 26.

Better?

Not better, but not worse. I knew Deuce McAllister was a good running back, but I never thought he was good enough to where his number would become just as big as his name.

Better?

Not better, but not worse. I knew Deuce McAllister was a good running back, but I never thought he was good enough to where his number would become just as big as his name.

Not around the country I suppose, but he was a warrior, a class act, and one of the most beloved Saints players ever. I didn't mean to imply that Joe NFL Fan would see it that way but any Saints fan sure would. Not every great RB play is a Chris Johnson-style run; Deuce picked up blitzes and could literally move the pile - I'll always remember the Philly LB literally sliding across the turf in the '06 playoffs - and he got more yards than you thought he possibly could on any given play. The run at 1:15 of

is my personal favorite. Not his best ever perhaps but it shows the speed, elusiveness, power, and "get off of me!" mentality that made him such a great player.

BTW, the run vs the Eagles is at 5:57 of the video. It's Jeremiah Trotter, #54, at the bottom of the pile being literally dragged over the goal line. Deuuuuuuuuuuce!

its basically a trade of two players headed to the FE'd list in the very near future. I don't expect barron to much in dallas, but carpenter didn't do anything either so its a swap of non-impact borderline depth players.

if i'm not mistaken that was one of those BP picks that dallas fans on the boards pretty much shat on. not that they didn't :censored: on anything and everything parcells did anyway. but yeah.

islandersscroll.gif

Spoilers!

• 3 weeks later...

Archived