Cheering For Someone You Hate

the_cynic

With the Jazz racing for the 8th and final spot in the NBA playoffs I'll find myself rooting for the Rockets, Kings, & Spurs when they go up against the Nuggets? Have you ever cheered for someone who you've hated in the past?

utah_jazz_signature_s.jpgdenver_nuggets.gif

Utah Jazz Retired Number's

#1 - Frank Layden - #7 Pete Maravich - #12 John Stockton - #14 Jeff Hornacek - #35 Darrell Griffith - #53 Mark Eaton

Retired Number's To Come

#00 The Bear (Best Mascot In NBA) - #4 Adrian Dantley - #32 Karl "The Mailman" Malone

As an Avalanche fan... I will find myself cheering for the Detroit Red Wings if they ever meet Vancouver and/or New Jersey in the playoffs. I have done it in the past... cheer for an evil to beat a greater evil. lol. Yankees/D-Backs comes to mind. Packers/Raiders. I cheered for the Yankees and Packers in those particular matchups.

Oh, and the Lakers against the Trail Blazers.

IUe6Hvh.png

Another great example.........I've always hated the Lakers until Karl Malone went there. With him being my all-time favorite player since I was a kid, how could I not cheer for the Lakers?

utah_jazz_signature_s.jpgdenver_nuggets.gif

Utah Jazz Retired Number's

#1 - Frank Layden - #7 Pete Maravich - #12 John Stockton - #14 Jeff Hornacek - #35 Darrell Griffith - #53 Mark Eaton

Retired Number's To Come

#00 The Bear (Best Mascot In NBA) - #4 Adrian Dantley - #32 Karl "The Mailman" Malone

You're not really cheering for the team you hate - you're rooting for your team to make it. If the season comes down to a team you hate playing against a team you don't follow and having to beat them for your team to make the playoffs, they better deliver - otherwise you have more reason to hate them.

Love and hate for a team runs deeper than one game.

facebook.png twitter.pngblogger.pngflickr-1.jpg

I cheer for the Vikings and whoever is playing the Packers. Just as an example.

But I think for the sake of this thread, the question would be:

Would you cheer for the Packers to beat, let's say the Saints, if it meant that either the Vikings or Saints were going to make the playoffs.

...I don't know if I want to admit this or not...but last year and the year before oncce the playoffs rolled around...i cheered for the Maple Leafs...as a Habs fan, I dunno why I do, but I cheered for them, and against teh Sens this year, I'm cheering for them again

Never. in 1994, when the Rangers were playing the Canucks, i rooted for the Canucks, a team from Canada, over the Rangers. I normally would never root for a canadian team, but... rooting for the Rangers? It can not be done...

Stay Tuned Sports Podcast
sB9ijEj.png

As a Ranger fan, it's my duty to hate everyone in the Atlantic division, and also hate the Buffalo Sabres, 'cause they're from upstate New York and that's no good either. But at the end of the regular season this year, the Sabres were fast approaching the Islanders for the eighth and final playoffs spot in the East. So what'd I do? I whooped it up for the the Sabres, because I simply HATE the Isles.

sticksstones4.png

The world's foremost practitioners of professional tag-team wrestling.

I'm a blazer fan, and it's hard not to hate everyone else. Right now with the whole 4 teams 2 spots thing in the 7th and 8th seed I am always rooting for teams I hate that are facing Utah, Denver and Houston because I want my jail blazers to make it in. I am cheering for teams I hate a lot more this season because blazers usually arent this close in playoff contention and I want us to have the longest playoff streak ever, which we are 1 away from tieing.

As a Ranger fan, it's my duty to hate everyone in the Atlantic division, and also hate the Buffalo Sabres, 'cause they're from upstate New York and that's no good either. But at the end of the regular season this year, the Sabres were fast approaching the Islanders for the eighth and final playoffs spot in the East. So what'd I do? I whooped it up for the the Sabres, because I simply HATE the Isles.

I wish you would have whooped a bit harder... my team's out on the golf course already. :(

pros, can't remember the last time. maybe it was a blues game or something.

several years ago, however, i was at a playoff game between Horlick and Oak Creek, two teams that had beaten us in the 99 season. Hate em both, Oak Creek cus they're evil creatine babies (as we liked to say, and the current team probably says the same thing) and Horlick is one of our arch rivals. Easy choice, however-we didn't have to hear about OC's star QB every damn week. However, I'd decided to piss off the Horlick side by sitting there and heckling their players :D Heck, they tried to kick me out before halftime :hockeysmiley:

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bull🤬

The only conditions under which I would root for the Red Sox is if they were playing Al Qaeda.

... no you wouldn't. I'd see you wearing a black face mask, red bandana, flashing an M-16 and shouting "Allah Ahkbar!" before I see you wearing a cap with a bright red B on it.

(Maybe a change in member name? From "United Waffles" to "The Popular Front for the Liberation of Waffles" or the ever popular "HezboWaffles"... nah.)

As for me, I don't call it cheering for another team. Cheering implies supporting... I don't cheer/support other teams... but I hope for wins from some of them to only better my team. I would never cheer for/support the Pacers, Heat, Bulls, Lakers and so forth... unless of course a win by them would help the Knicks in some fashion. When things come down to 2 teams that I don't care for, like last years World Series, I don't cheer for anyone... I just kick back and enjoy the game(s).

"The true New Yorker secretly believes that anyone living anywhere else has got to be, in some sense, kidding."

The only conditions under which I would root for the Red Sox is if they were playing Al Qaeda.

... no you wouldn't. I'd see you wearing a black face mask, red bandana, flashing an M-16 and shouting "Allah Ahkbar!" before I see you wearing a cap with a bright red B on it.

(Maybe a change in member name? From "United Waffles" to "The Popular Front for the Liberation of Waffles" or the ever popular "HezboWaffles"... nah.)

You know me better than I know myself sometimes...

Archived