Oilers moving their AHL team

kiwi_canadian

Just saw on the Sportsnet ticker this morning that the Oilers are moving their AHL team to Oklahoma City for next season. This isn't the Springfield Falcons, it's actually the dormant "Roadrunners" team that the Oilers own. They used to play out of Richo Coliseum in Toronto before the Leafs put up a stink about having a rival club's AHL affiliate playing down the street. During the lockout, the Roadrunners moved to Edmonton so the Oilers could bring in some money at Rexall Place. After the strike the team went dormant but the Oilers kept ownership of it. There were rumors going around that it would be OKC but now it is confirmed. Dows this mean a higher playing level for the Blazers? Anyone seen any logos for it? It may be a bit too early yet.

Just saw on the Sportsnet ticker this morning that the Oilers are moving their AHL team to Oklahoma City for next season. This isn't the Springfield Falcons, it's actually the dormant "Roadrunners" team that the Oilers own. They used to play out of Richo Coliseum in Toronto before the Leafs put up a stink about having a rival club's AHL affiliate playing down the street. During the lockout, the Roadrunners moved to Edmonton so the Oilers could bring in some money at Rexall Place. After the strike the team went dormant but the Oilers kept ownership of it. There were rumors going around that it would be OKC but now it is confirmed. Dows this mean a higher playing level for the Blazers? Anyone seen any logos for it? It may be a bit too early yet.

Say what you will, but it's kinda eerie to see the Oilers' logo in the ice in Oklahoma.

Oklahoma Oilers sounds good and is pretty fitting for the area. I like it.

I think the Tulsa Oilers would have something to say about the name. But I have a feeling we'll see the return of the OKC Blazers in the AHL.

Think the name Blazers will be used for sure for the AHL Oklahoma City team... but a new one would be something else... should be interested.. also where will OKC be placed in the AHL division? the North Division or other?

Ice Hockey International Winnipeg Braves (Bobby Hull Division 18-3-0 1st place as of March 14, 2011)

2010-11 O'Brien Trophy for Bobby Hull Division championship & Jack Riley Cup for top team in league regular season

Think the name Blazers will be used for sure for the AHL Oklahoma City team... but a new one would be something else... should be interested.. also where will OKC be placed in the AHL division? the North Division or other?

Well Springfield is in the Atlantic right now the only division with 8 Teams all the other divisions have 7. I'm sure they could throw an 8th in the West Division to even everything out as Each Conference will have one division with 8 teams.

But with Albany becoming the Charlotte Checkers next year things could be just right for a full on realignment something the AHL needs.

JETS|PACK|JAYS|NUFC|BAMA|BOMBERS|RAPS|ORANJE|

Any idea if the Ducks take up the Springfield franchise since they're splitting with Phoenix in San Antonio?

Oh, that would be hi-LARious. Sees as they bailed on Portland since they were tired with having a farm team in New England.

Well Springfield is in the Atlantic right now the only division with 8 Teams all the other divisions have 7. I'm sure they could throw an 8th in the West Division to even everything out as Each Conference will have one division with 8 teams.

But with Albany becoming the Charlotte Checkers next year things could be just right for a full on realignment something the AHL needs.

The AHL realigns every year. I'm not quite sure where the need for this full-on re do comes from. Especially since its impossible to geographically align and balance the divisions. Shoot, the schedule matrices only pay lip service to alignment anyway.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Any idea if the Ducks take up the Springfield franchise since they're splitting with Phoenix in San Antonio?

Yeah that's the general idea. Plus hell, at this point the Ducks are splitting time in San Antonio, Manitoba, and Toronto in the AHL. Ridiculous.

Rams80,

Yeah it's pretty funny to think about, but that's their only option. If they ever want to get this "AHL-affiliate-out- west" thing off the ground, they'll have to buy up a franchise at some point. But for now they are stuck with whatever opens. This whole splitting time thing is nonsense.

Plus if they want to move west, not only will they have to buy a team of their own, they are going to have to convince a few more teams to come with them or subsidize the travel costs. The travel costs things is the real sticking point with the AHL BoG when the Ducks asked about trying to buy Iowa and move them.

I really don't know what the big problem is anyway with having the affiliate so far away. All the other west teams (minus Calgary, Vancouver, Phoenix, and Dallas) have to deal with the cross-country affiliations and travel and don't seem to mind all that much. They can deal.

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULBUSMNT | USWNTLAFC | OCSCMAN UTD |

Guess Anahiem doesn't have much of a choice except to take Springfield under their wing as their AHL team.

Even with OKC and Charlotte joining next year, that still makes it 29 teams, right? There are 30 NHL teams and you'd think the one loner without it's own team would be happy with Iowa once they're reinstated.

Guess Anahiem doesn't have much of a choice except to take Springfield under their wing as their AHL team.

Even with OKC and Charlotte joining next year, that still makes it 29 teams, right? There are 30 NHL teams and you'd think the one loner without it's own team would be happy with Iowa once they're reinstated.

Somebody needs to buy the franchise first. And then pay the operating costs. That tends to scare teams off.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Here's what I see happening:

1. Lowell Devils move to Albany, take on River Rats identity, the rat is back to wearing the black shoulder sides on his jersey.

2. AHL terminates Iowa Chops franchise (nobody will buy them), then as a reward for the excellent job in their inaugural season, gives Texas Stars a completely new franchise.

3. Springfield Falcons will stay put, but get new affiliate.

4. As soon as they can, the Milwaukee Admirals and Houston Aeros will do an affiliate-swap (Leipold is from my hometown of Racine, he used to own the Preds, now he owns the Wild-I would LOVE to see my favorite NHL team and my favorite AHL team working together!)

bYhYmxh.png

4. As soon as they can, the Milwaukee Admirals and Houston Aeros will do an affiliate-swap (Leipold is from my hometown of Racine, he used to own the Preds, now he owns the Wild-I would LOVE to see my favorite NHL team and my favorite AHL team working together!)

I don't see that happening in the unseen future. Leipold owns both the Aeros and the Wild and it would be stupid to do a swap when both teams benefit

I don't see that happening in the unseen future. Leipold owns both the Aeros and the Wild and it would be stupid to do a swap when both teams benefit

I'm probably off a bit on that one...But do you see my other three predictions happening?

bYhYmxh.png

I've heard somewhere that the Ducks' want to move their affiliate, or something to that extent. I've also heard somewhere (sorry, no links yet) that the AHL could be coming out west. Is there any truth to this?

I've heard somewhere that the Ducks' want to move their affiliate, or something to that extent. I've also heard somewhere (sorry, no links yet) that the AHL could be coming out west. Is there any truth to this?

The Ducks have wanted to move their affiliate out west for about 4 years now. That's why they got out of Portland, moved to Iowa, and are now splitting with three different teams.

The problem is, the Ducks don't own a team to move. They'd either have to convince an entire AHL franchise to move out west, or buy their own. The other problem is the costs of it. The western AHL teams have to help subsidize the travel costs. Like Calgary/Abbotsford, Vancouver/Manitoba, Phoenix/San Antonio, Dallas/Texas, and Minnesota/Houston (and maybe to some extent the midwestern teams) they have to help pay for the travel costs for all the northeastern/Atlantic teaks to have their franchise out there.

The AHL hasn't really been too keen on this either. They don't like that aspect and would probably like these teams to shrink in closer.

The only way that this will ever really work is if there can be a group of teams that pick up their teams and move them west to make it all evenly spread or have a western grouping and an eastern grouping. And even then it's not easy. The AHL can support itself in its compact space in the northeast and the occasional SA/TEX/HOU or MAN/ABB road trip, but they don't know if they can support a widespread league of travel.

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULBUSMNT | USWNTLAFC | OCSCMAN UTD |

Archived