2009-10 NHL Season Part 2

NEW.ERA

Ovechkin has reached the 50 goal plateau -- for the fourth time in five seasons.

And he got it before a certian Mr. Who Know Who.

It was funny how the Capitals fans were chanting "Crosby sucks!" after Ovechkin scored goal #50....

I didnt see this, but I heard about it. It was moronic. Seriously. Its like all these fans were the ones who post CAPZ RUL!!1!!1111 on the facebook page.

duscarf2013.pngg6uheq4mgvrndguzuzak1pcte.gif
"I don't understand where you got this idea so deeply ingrained in your head (that this world) is something that you must impress, cause I couldn't care less"

http://keepdcunited.org

• Replies 694
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ovechkin has reached the 50 goal plateau -- for the fourth time in five seasons.

It was funny how the Capitals fans were chanting "Crosby sucks!" after Ovechkin scored goal #50....

"I cant really hear what Caps fan says because Ive got my Stanley Cup ring plugged in my ear."

Doesn't really work when you only have one ring. For all of Patrick Roy's dumbassery and broken english at least he had two.

I really hate the Detroit Red Wings. The Blue Jackets had an opportunity to keep them from 100 points on the season and they lost 1-0 in the shootout. Couldn't put in 1 measly goal Blue Jackets, huh, for me?

At least this season is over, but geez, what a disappointment.

Even if it's the Wings, I'd rather have seen the Jackets lose last night. Had they lost they'd be no worse than the 4th pick pre-lottery. Now they can end up as high as 6th, which is a huge difference.

I'm not a believer in tanking. The draft is so unpredictable that a player taken at no. 7 could turn out to be the next great superstar while the number 1 could be a total bust.

PvO6ZWJ.png

"I cant really hear what Caps fan says because Ive got my Stanley Cup ring plugged in my ear."

Doesn't really work when you only have one ring. For all of Patrick Roy's dumbassery and broken english at least he had two.

I really hate the Detroit Red Wings. The Blue Jackets had an opportunity to keep them from 100 points on the season and they lost 1-0 in the shootout. Couldn't put in 1 measly goal Blue Jackets, huh, for me?

At least this season is over, but geez, what a disappointment.

Even if it's the Wings, I'd rather have seen the Jackets lose last night. Had they lost they'd be no worse than the 4th pick pre-lottery. Now they can end up as high as 6th, which is a huge difference.

I'm not a believer in tanking. The draft is so unpredictable that a player taken at no. 7 could turn out to be the next great superstar while the number 1 could be a total bust.

Oh yeah agreed, I've loved seeing the team win lately but it's one of those - why didn't they play like this 3 months ago kind of things. It's frustrating when you have a lost season and then start playing well.

6fQjS3M.png

Even for the crapshooty NHL draft, #1s have fared pretty well in recent years. Tavares, Stamkos, Kane, Erik Johnson*, Crosby, Ovechkin, Fleury, Nash, Kovalchuk, DiPietro*, Patrick Stefan*, Lecavalier, Thornton, not even gonna talk about the '96 draft because holy crap everyone except Danny Briere kinda sucks. Of the last thirteen firsts, you have one all-time bust in Stefan, a goalie who's been hurt a lot, and Erik Johnson is just sort of an "incomplete" at this point. Everyone else is very for real. But even in those drafts with questionable firsts, you didn't have to look far to find the goods: the next two picks after Stefan were the Sedin sisters, Rick DiPietro was immediately followed by Dany Heatley, and the third pick following Erik Johnson was Jonathan Toews. The NHL is coming close to attaining the NBA ideal of a #1 overall pick that you just know is gonna kick serious ass out of the gate. Unfortunately, the NBA has abandoned this ideal.

I think NHL scouting must've turned a big corner in the mid '90s, because in retrospect, those drafts from 1996 on back have a real pulled-from-ass feel to them. Chris Phillips, Ed Jovanovski, Bryan Berard, Alexander Daigle, Roman Hamrlik? Yikes.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Am I the only Coyote fan who thinks the recent SO wins will hurt the Coyotes in the Stanley Cup Playoffs?

I think the current Western Conference playoff seeding is going to hurt the Coyotes far more than anything else. Treasure those first two home playoff games, because they're very likely to also be the last two.

Oh, but before that, could your team please kick the living snot out of the Sharks tonight? I'd really enjoy a Blackhawks-Avalanche 1st-round matchup after what I saw last night. Much oblige.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

I don't think shootout wins in and of themselves hurt the Coyotes, but they do make you wonder how they'd fare without shootouts. Interesting contrast with the Red Wings, who have survived largely on the welfare of the overtime loss. If they had 7ish instead of 14 like most teams, they'd be 8th or out.

EDIT: Yeah, the other seven playoff teams average 7.29 OTLs through today. Detroit has 14. What a bunch of cockroaches.

I was going to add the gold medal but I thought it would ruin the quote.

Rangers control their own destiny still after a 4-3 win...win & in...doesn't matter if it's in regulation or not anymore...

Habs vs Leafs tonight with the final playoff spot on the line for the Habs. Wow, shades of 3 years ago!! The Habs are more than good enough to win tonight. It only depends on whether they want it enough.

The Rangers and the Flyers absolutely need to win their respective games though.

On another note, it would suck to see Henrik Sedin lose the Art Ross due to Ovechkin surpassing him by a point at the very last second.

On another another note, think about where he'd be at this stage if Daniel hadn't been out for 17 games.

On yet another another note, think about where Ovechkin'd be if he hadn't gotten injured and a ton of suspensions.

Welcome to DrunjFlix

On yet another another note, think about where Ovechkin'd be if he hadn't gotten injured and a ton of suspensions.

Ovechkin plays an average of 2 minutes more per game than Sedin does, the injuries and suspensions aren't really as big a factor as you might think.

1zgyd8w.jpg

They're games he'd have played if he weren't such a turd. How many games did he miss this year due to suspension? Four? That's a lot of wasted minutes.

I won't hold injuries against him; those are largely unavoidable, at least relative to the ejections and suspensions that suppressed his scoring potential. He's too good to be a dumbass.

Rangers control their own destiny still after a 4-3 win...win & in...doesn't matter if it's in regulation or not anymore...

Habs vs Leafs tonight with the final playoff spot on the line for the Habs. Wow, shades of 3 years ago!! The Habs are more than good enough to win tonight. It only depends on whether they want it enough.

The Rangers and the Flyers absolutely need to win their respective games though.

You do know they play each other tomorrow - probably a showdown for the #8 seed.

LvZYtbZ.png

Tonight could be Mike Modano's last NHL game.

-Dan

He is undecided, and his mother would like him to play another season (in Dallas) but Stars management aka Joe Niewendyk is not trying to be dragged into a game of chicken by the media. This is also the last game for Turco and Jere Lehtinen in a Stars uniform. The way that their last home game on Thursday panned out it should be the way for Mike and Jere to leave the game.

Archived