The Green or Blue Bay Packers

PackerBadger

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We'll see them tomorrow, but all reports are that they're based on this uniform from 1929-30:

uniform-735591.jpg

Personally, I like it. The NFL has this bizarre myopia where the pre-Super Bowl era is concerned, and too much of the Packers' history is often ignored. "Est. 1921"? Please.

Well don't you think that all of the NFL's team histories pre Super Bowl is blatantly ignored because they don't recognize the Championships that teams won prior to the Super Bowl?

MLB counts World Series titles all the way back to the damn early 1900's but the NFL continues to pretend that football didn't exist prior to 1967. If MLB used that same formula for their WS Champs then the New York Spankees would only be credited with 7 World Series Titles...but yet thats not the case. I realize that the merger between the NFL and AFL changed things but not so much so that you can ignore the championships that teams won in years past. Easily my biggest gripe ever in sports history.

If they are wearing throwbacks they could wear them at one of the "Milwaukee" games since the blue and gold kind of reflect the Brewers. Also the Packers won the 1939 NFL championship at Wisconsin State Fair Park in West Allis near Milwaukee. In fact it was the first ever NFL championship shut out as the Packers beat the New York Giants 27-0.

I'll buy one as well. I'll also buy the blue and tan sideline gear. All of which apparently won't be on sale until some time around training camp.

Personally, I'm really hoping that they'll wear them against either the Bears or Giants, the two teams on next year's schedule that the Blues also played in 1929.

I wonder how big the League will make the front numbers - the Steelers and Bears got away with smallish numbers in 1994.

292354.jpg

474476565_993ce0a524.jpg

As long as the Numbers are full on the Back I wouldn't see a problem in having smaller numbers be it in the center or on the shoulder.

But I don't know how Reebok and the NFL would rule on such an issue nowadays.

JETS|PACK|JAYS|NUFC|BAMA|BOMBERS|RAPS|ORANJE|

Those particular styles originally did not have a number on the front according to some illustrations. I think the small numbers gave rise to the CFL USA teams and the World League teams sporting that style of having the logo large and in front of the jersey. Interesting to see tho. It may look like the Golden State Warriors "city" jerseys.

Don't know about the World League, but you're right - the small numbers were added to bring the original number-less Steeler and Bear jerseys in line with the NFL's uniform code.

My question is whether that number size would satisfy the code today, because I think we could have uniforms which looked substantially like the original 1929-30 jerseys.

In a circle, it might look something like these 1968-73 Marquette basketball numbers:

4425895488_9367c68c4f_o.jpg

Bigger than the original 5-inch circle, but keeping the basic spirit.

One of the first things I thought of when I heard they'd be based on the 1929 unis was those "Grand Prix" MU jerseys.

I'll probably end up buying a jersey either way (the first time I've done that in years), but I still think the "Classic Lambeau" jerseys would've been a better way to go.

Can't wait to see 'em tomorrow.

Best thing about this: The brown helmets. Other than the required logos, they got it down.

I don't think it looks good IMO, but I'll always applaud accuracy when it comes to throwbacks & this is pretty damn accurate.

Archived