The Green or Blue Bay Packers

PackerBadger

These are actually better looking than I thought. The only flaw: I know that the players back then used leather helmets and different material pants than today (are they leather?), but you could atleast make the helmet the same color as the pants to give it some unity, you know? Preferrably the pants color.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The colors are OK. I hate the numbers within the yellow dot. Frankly, I really am done with throwbacks. I don't understand why the league doesn't use the 3rd as a test for new designs. And no, I'm not saying the new look has to consist of piping and modern striping and whatnot. In fact, there is nothing stopping teams from designing a new look inspired by traditional stylings. I just find the throwback path as a "been there, done that" path that that has been overdone. Especially for the Packers, who already is a traditional looking team.

shysters_sm.jpg

"One of my concerns is shysters show up and take advantage of people's good will and generosity".

I don't understand why the league doesn't use the 3rd as a test for new designs.

That was what the NHL used to do (and is kinda doing again) and it was (and again is) really obnoxious, because they always like the third so much that it goes

1) wearing it so much you forget which team you're watching

2) replaces one of the full-time uniforms so now they don't match

3) grows a matching partner after enough time has gone by

4) new third is introduced to start process over

and I'd really prefer that didn't happen with the NFL. In fact, I'd prefer that nobody ever wore third jerseys ever, but I guess a one-off every several years is okay.

I'd be interested to see how far the Packers take their throwback day. Remember when the Cubs had 1948 Day with the clunky black-and-white telecast for a couple of innings and the '40-style vendors and even got lots of people to wear suits and dresses to the game? Now, of course the NFL's broadcast partners are not going to air the game in black and white, but maybe they could, I dunno, not play a dopey Todd Rundgren song like ten times a game? Maybe borrow UW-GB's marching band for a day instead? Encourage spectator attire a notch or four up from "novelty foam cheese hat/painted bare chest/camouflage pants" if they can? If they're going to do this, they gotta go all out.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

But alternates aren't a "been there done that" type of deal?

I see nothing wrong with the Packers honoring a team that deserves to be honored... the first of their 12 Championship teams. Especially when half of those teams wore uniforms that are drastically different from what they have now.

I love that they got everything as accurate as humanly possible... the Packers are now two for two in that area (the 1967 throwbacks they wore for Thanksgiving 2003 were on point as well). I'll have to see them in person before I decide whether or not to buy one, but I can see these growing on me. If not, there's probably gonna be plenty of nice sideline merchandise that'll come from these.

Alternates are a "been there, done that" situation, because all that is usually done is swap color use. And as for diluting identity, if you use the same rules limiting its use it isn't a problem. I would love it if the league didn't have 3rds at all. Throwbacks/alts, as it is, are nothing special because too many teams use them each year. And yes, it is fine to celebrate a championship team. All I ask is for a team using an older style uniform, why can't they become a bit more creative instead of going the retread route?

shysters_sm.jpg

"One of my concerns is shysters show up and take advantage of people's good will and generosity".

I don't understand why the league doesn't use the 3rd as a test for new designs.

That was what the NHL used to do (and is kinda doing again) and it was (and again is) really obnoxious, because they always like the third so much that it goes

1) wearing it so much you forget which team you're watching

2) replaces one of the full-time uniforms so now they don't match

3) grows a matching partner after enough time has gone by

4) new third is introduced to start process over

and I'd really prefer that didn't happen with the NFL. In fact, I'd prefer that nobody ever wore third jerseys ever, but I guess a one-off every several years is okay.

I'd be interested to see how far the Packers take their throwback day. Remember when the Cubs had 1948 Day with the clunky black-and-white telecast for a couple of innings and the '40-style vendors and even got lots of people to wear suits and dresses to the game? Now, of course the NFL's broadcast partners are not going to air the game in black and white, but maybe they could, I dunno, not play a dopey Todd Rundgren song like ten times a game? Maybe borrow UW-GB's marching band for a day instead? Encourage spectator attire a notch or four up from "novelty foam cheese hat/painted bare chest/camouflage pants" if they can? If they're going to do this, they gotta go all out.

I don't think too many Packers fans do that anymore... or at least not many under the age of 40. In fact, Mark Murphy and Ted Thompson seem to be doing all they can to distance the franchise from the hokey, redneck douchebaggery that came from the Favre regime and I like to think that trotting out these throwbacks from the 20s is a not-so-subtle way of showing that the Packers had a lengthy history (and a damn good one at that) before Saint Brett arrived. I know a lot of "fans" hate TT and MM for this, but they've earned a tip from my hat for doing it.

Alternates are a "been there, done that" situation, because all that is usually done is swap color use. And as for diluting identity, if you use the same rules limiting its use it isn't a problem. I would love it if the league didn't have 3rds at all. Throwbacks/alts, as it is, are nothing special because too many teams use them each year. And yes, it is fine to celebrate a championship team. All I ask is for a team using an older style uniform, why can't they become a bit more creative instead of going the retread route?

I think there's a lot of creativity inherent in updating looks from the leather helmet era to modern standards. When it comes to the Packers specifically, I think wearing blue, if anything, adds to their identity as it ties their entire history together much in the way Notre Dame does with their green alts... and anyone who knows anything about the Packers history can tell you the connections between them and the Golden Domers are anything but a coincidence.

I think there's a lot of creativity inherent in updating looks from the leather helmet era to modern standards. When it comes to the Packers specifically, I think wearing blue, if anything, adds to their identity as it ties their entire history together much in the way Notre Dame does with their green alts... and anyone who knows anything about the Packers history can tell you the connections between them and the Golden Domers are anything but a coincidence.

For sure. Anyway, isn't every throwback a 'been there, done that' because it's a uniform that was previously worn by the team? Likewise, isn't every alternate a 'been there, done that' because it's really just a different colored version of the team's home jersey? I hate alts and wish they would go away, but I think one week of each season (Thanksgiving) should be throwback week, where every team participates and can change their throwback from year to year. I like seeing the old designs on the modern players.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

I wonder if Maple Leaf Productions had an indirect hand in this one? As I walked past my Packer History plaque yeaterday, I noticed that this is one of the uniforms featured on the plaque. Coincidence? Could be, but you can buy the plaques at the Packer Pro Shop.

http://www.modells.com/largeImage/index.jsp?LargeImageURL=http%3A//MOD.imageg.net/graphics/product_images/p3314846dt.jpg

It's where I sit.

I wonder if Maple Leaf Productions had an indirect hand in this one? As I walked past my Packer History plaque yeaterday, I noticed that this is one of the uniforms featured on the plaque. Coincidence? Could be, but you can buy the plaques at the Packer Pro Shop.

http://www.modells.com/largeImage/index.jsp?LargeImageURL=http%3A//MOD.imageg.net/graphics/product_images/p3314846dt.jpg

That seems dubious at best. Those plaques have been out for at least five years now. And it's not like those uniforms were previously unknown.

I don't think we need to look for any conspracies here. The '29 Packers won the club's first World Championship. Hence the choice.

i really like this a lot. the NFL is all about making money of of these throwback gimmicks, but at the same time it does honor a deep and rich history. i also like seeing the old designs on modern uniforms/players and wish we could get more throwback teams each year. im not a Packer fan, but i would love to have a sweatshirt or hoodie that looks like these jerseys

GRAPHIC ARTIST

BEHANCE  /  MEDIUM  /  DRIBBBLE

I'm going to say a couple things. First of all, if they wanted to go with the leather helmet look, then someone make up decals that would give them the shading so they look like leather helmets. Secondly, these to me are in the class of the Denver Bronco brown and gold and should be burned.

That seems dubious at best. Those plaques have been out for at least five years now. And it's not like those uniforms were previously unknown.

I don't think we need to look for any conspracies here. The '29 Packers won the club's first World Championship. Hence the choice.

Didn't mean for it to sound like a conspiracy, just thought it an interesting coincidence.

It's where I sit.

Here is a pic of the whole uniform

packers.jpg

Pretty gross.

I don't know, considering the fact they used leather helmets back in the day, these look pretty decent to me. The early 20's meets 21st century makes the look more authentic.

Archived