Abbotsford bankrupting itself to keep AHL Heat

Sodboy13

a city of 85,000 (5th or 6th largest in BC) builds a 7,000 seat arena to house almost-major-league hockey, forgetting that its nearest "rival" is in Winnipeg (a 3 hour flight), and that it's going to have to subsidize its opponents to travel out here.

The Bruins sure aren't hurting after this, and the Canucks don't even consider them competition.

Abbotsford built this arena with one goal in mind: To stick it to Chilliwack. Apparently Abbotsford considers "the Wack" to be the Shelbyville to their Springfield, and any time they can put the screws to them, they will. Abby's been jealous of the Prospera Centre in Chilliwack for over four years, and as soon as they got a little bit of Federal Incentive money, they've been looking for a way to one-up Chilliwack and kill the Bruins.

And, just like Springfield, they :censored:ed it up royally. The only way this could be better is if Abbotsford had also built a genuine bona-fide electrified six-car monorail to take the 3500-reported fans to and from the games, but then that would mean that they'd have had to name the team something that made sense or sounded good, like the Possums.

If it weren't for the fact that they have the only Costco with a gas station on this side of the border, and I liked to make the odd trip out to Summerland, I'd never even stop in that town. And don't even get me started on Hope, which is the most ironically-named city in BC.

Welcome to DrunjFlix

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The only way this could be better is if Abbotsford had also built a genuine bona-fide electrified six-car monorail to take the 3500-reported fans to and from the games, but then that would mean that they'd have had to name the team something that made sense or sounded good, like the Possums.

1981.jpg

I call the big one Bitey.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Wow... Now that I think of it, seeing this makes me want to laugh my ass off at the Flames orginization for giving up on Omaha for the Quad Cities and then giving up the Quad Cities for some no name town in British Columbia who seems to be suffering from the dreaded 'Little Brother Syndrome' when compared to Chilliwack.

In reading the article, it would seem the town's leadership screwed up by building a new arena to begin with, and now are just throwing money down a well in hopes of keeping their chief tenant. Bad move followed by worse one if you ask me.

But what really caught my attention was that they anticipate the team's operating costs for the season to be $5.7 million CDN. That's a helluva lot of money for minor league hockey, no? I mean, even though it is the AHL?

nav-logo.png

When you have to pay to fly all of your opponents into and out of town, and when your shortest road trip is 1,800 miles, costs go up a bit.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

I understand that there's some merit to having your AAA club close to home, but the reality of the AHL is that if you're not back east (or the Hawks/Blues), you're not going to have that luxury. And even then, Abbotsford is only close to Calgary in the sense that it's not, I dunno, Albany or something. And still furthermore, the Flames don't seem to be a team that emphasizes AHL development, so why would they need a quick shuttle from league to league anyway? This was so dumb.

I understand that there's some merit to having your AAA club close to home, but the reality of the AHL is that if you're not back east (or the Hawks/Blues), you're not going to have that luxury. And even then, Abbotsford is only close to Calgary in the sense that it's not, I dunno, Albany or something. And still furthermore, the Flames don't seem to be a team that emphasizes AHL development, so why would they need a quick shuttle from league to league anyway? This was so dumb.

Hey man, $129 flights from Abby International to Calgary, and only one or two stops in between!

Welcome to DrunjFlix

Hey man, $129 flights from Abby International to Calgary, and only one or two stops in between!

I can get 100 dollar non-stop flights to Abbotsford from Toronto for $99. Maybe it would be more cost effective to change the Marlies affiliation :P

1zqy8ok.gif

• 2 weeks later...

That was a terrible call and I didn't know Playfair had that fire in him. Wish he showed it here in Calgary.

Playfair get's probably a game to sit and calm down.

JETS|PACK|JAYS|NUFC|BAMA|BOMBERS|RAPS|ORANJE|

You know what's going to be the most hilariously ironic thing about this franchise? If the Coyotes move to Winnipeg, and the Moose franchise is forced out (probably is sold to Texas at a loss), I think the closest teams to Abbotsford become Rockford, Oklahoma City, Peoria. All of which are about 800 miles further away than Winnipeg.

Travel costs FTL!

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

You know what would be hilarious?

The 'Yotes moving to Winnipeg and the Moose moving to Tempe.

Don't you mean Glendale?

Nope. I'm sure there's a smaller venue somewhere in Tempe that the AHL can move into and not get stuck with a silly lease.

Welcome to DrunjFlix

You know what would be hilarious?

The 'Yotes moving to Winnipeg and the Moose moving to Tempe.

Don't you mean Glendale?

Nope. I'm sure there's a smaller venue somewhere in Tempe that the AHL can move into and not get stuck with a silly lease.

The only arena in Tempe is Wells Fargo Arena on the ASU campus, and that's a basketball-size arena.

AHL hockey is probably more realistic for a market where it's never going to be more than a very small niche. Let greater Phoenix and the (snort, chuckle) Jobing.com Arena prove themselves on a smaller scale and maybe they can get an NHL team back down the road.

AHL hockey is probably more realistic for a market where it's never going to be more than a very small niche. Let greater Phoenix and the (snort, chuckle) Jobing.com Arena prove themselves on a smaller scale and maybe they can get an NHL team back down the road.

:cursing: Jobing.com Arena wasn't built to house an AHL franchise.

Archived