The Evolution of Baseball Video Games

rmackman

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Isn't that the game where you used to be able to bunt for a home run?

I played it twice, ran up the score to something like 40-0 after 1/3 of an inning, and put it away.

Welcome to DrunjFlix

Nope. There was a Genesis game ( Larussa 3? Lasorda?) where I regularly bunted the ball out of the park.

That also happened occasionally on the old Bases Loaded for Nintendo. You'd go to lay down a bunt, make contact, and the ball would fly out of the park. It was pretty funny to watch.

BB52Big.jpg

I am in agreement with the MVP 2005 love. It is far and away the best baseball game ever. Five years later and I still get cravings for it as soon as spring training starts. Over the years, I also enjoyed Ken Griffey Jr. baseball on N64 and Frank Thomas Big Hurt baseball on Super Nintendo (I think that is what it was) among others. However, no love for the All-Star baseball series? It was a bit rigid, but the graphics were pretty good and enjoyable, imo.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Dr. Kelso: My son is a big baseball fan. Not so much playing it, but more the designing and sewing of uniforms.

Tyler: That's neat.

Dr. Kelso: No, it's not.

I'll throw Major League Baseball Presents Ken Griffey, Jr. for Super Nintendo in as the best baseball game ever. I don't know if I'm the only person, but I actually went through and entered all of the MLB players' names into the game.

I'm in that game! Next time anyone plays as the Florida Marlins, I'm Charlie Hough. rolleyes.gif

Jaleco's Bases Loaded (first NES game where you could charge the mound) and SNK's Baseball Stars (NES) were great for their time. I remember playing the crap out of Real Sports Baseball for Atari 2600 when I was a kid.

cv2TCLZ.png

"I secretly hope people like that hydroplane into a wall." - Dennis "Big Sexy" Ittner

POTD - 7/3/14

Ken Griffey Jr.'s Slugfest for N64 consumed my life at one point. It took me two years to complete one 162 game season on there...and once I did it & won the World Series with the Pirates, damned if that wasn't the most satisfactory feeling in the world.

I still play it from time to time. I'm nowhere near as good as when I was back then, but it's still fun to break it out whenever some friends are around.

I spent so many hours on Earl Weaver Baseball on my Tandy computer as a small child. I'd get a baseball guide and make teams with their proper colors...and add EVERY MLB PLAYER AND THEIR STATS. It was fun adding the expansion Marlins and Rockies one year.

I was modding baseball games before it was cool (and the internet).

I still have the floppy disks with rosters, not that I can run it on my PC.

I should give it a try in MS-DOS mode. :D

87Redskins.png

I happen to have MVP Baseball 2005 and MLB 2K6 for the PS2. Which one do I play more often?

MVP Baseball 2005.

Hell, I even liked the NCAA Baseball series when they had it on the PS2 as well.

I am in agreement with the MVP 2005 love. It is far and away the best baseball game ever.

Until this season I was in the "MVP 2005 is the best ever" camp myself. Then I picked up MLB 10 The Show. The more I play it, the impressed I am by how good it is. It is the best video game I've ever played.

BB52Big.jpg

So I am relatively new to the world of PSP gaming, and have been looking at getting a baseball game, any suggestions?

I want something where beginner can compete (getting creamed every time is not fun - that's the reason I gave up on Baseball on PC a while ago), while maintaining some sort of realism in graphics and AI.

One more wish , that one may be tougher: I'd love to be able to play my beloved EXPOS. :flagcanada:

Since teh PSP began in 2004, and we all know when they folded, can I find them as a team in any game, or at least the players in an "all-time"/Franchise type of settings?

Sorry for hijacking this thread, but I can see that you guys know your baseball games and I got excited by this discussion.

Thanks!

@Frenchie_TO
Owner of the Rochester Americans of the MLH

Owner of the Toronto Frenchies of the GCFHL6

So I am relatively new to the world of PSP gaming, and have been looking at getting a baseball game, any suggestions?

I want something where beginner can compete (getting creamed every time is not fun - that's the reason I gave up on Baseball on PC a while ago), while maintaining some sort of realism in graphics and AI.

One more wish , that one may be tougher: I'd love to be able to play my beloved EXPOS. :flagcanada:

Since teh PSP began in 2004, and we all know when they folded, can I find them as a team in any game, or at least the players in an "all-time"/Franchise type of settings?

Sorry for hijacking this thread, but I can see that you guys know your baseball games and I got excited by this discussion.

Thanks!

Most games have adjustable sliders that allow you to set the skill level to your liking so you should be able to compete on any of them. I'm with you on being able to play as The Expos but to my knowledge it's not possible in any of the current games.

BB52Big.jpg

I'm pretty sure I own every single baseball game ever made for the N64, except All-Star Baseball '99. (And is there '98? I have 2000 and 2001.) It's 75% crap, such as Bottom of the 9th and Mike Piazza's Strike Zone. I just bought that crap in like 2005 because I wanted to fill in my collection. Anyway, for N64 I have to concur with Flame and go with Griffey's Slugfest. I played it only a few months ago and did horribly, but I still love it. Second-best has to be ASB 2001. I love that game still.

I only owned one baseball game for Game Boy Color, Triple Play 2000. For Game Boy, I think that game was as good as it gets.

But overall, there is no question in my mind that the best baseball game ever is MVP Baseball 2005. I've probably put 300+ hours into that game in my life, and I have never played it Live. Just one-player and Owner Mode. I have an update to just last year, but now that I finally got a 360 and the game isn't backwards compatible, I have no idea what I am going to do. Buy 2K10? Unlikely. That series sucks. I would love to try The Show because I always hear it's great, but I cannot see a baseball game being superior to MVP '05.

Archived