New bug for ESPN's MLB coverage

Top Shelf

It's MNF-style, but in the bottom right corner with different color dots for balls, strikes and outs in a thin line across the top. Score, inning and bases in a rectangle below. Speed shows up in place of the bases after the pitch. It's not bad. Was it necessary? Not sure... the position will take some getting used to.

One note is that it is cut off on the TV I'm watching right now, so the most outs I can see is one.

It's MNF-style, but in the bottom right corner with different color dots for balls, strikes and outs in a thin line across the top. Score, inning and bases in a rectangle below. Speed shows up in place of the bases after the pitch. It's not bad. Was it necessary? Not sure... the position will take some getting used to.

One note is that it is cut off on the TV I'm watching right now, so the most outs I can see is one.

The position isn't odd. That is where the score information has been put in the past (notably NBC and FSN), I don't know if I like the dots for the balls and strike. It is kind of like Fox's dots for football that didn't last long.

The position isn't odd. That is where the score information has been put in the past (notably NBC and FSN), I don't know if I like the dots for the balls and strike. It is kind of like Fox's dots for football that didn't last long.

NBC? When? The Baseball Network era? Not fresh in my mind. :) I don't get FSN anymore in Chicago, so maybe that's why, but mainly I meant ESPN switching from one corner to the other and also the whole "it's cut off" thing (although I realize I can blame the old, small TV I'm using right now).

I don't. The lights/circles/dots for balls and strikes are too much of an affectation for me. I know ESPN loves it some Boston Red Sox, but you don't need to bring the *magic* of the Fenway Park scoreboard to your score bug. (It's bad enough they use Fenway scoreboard imagery for all their Sun/Mon/Weds Night Baseball promos.) "x-y z OUT" is much simpler, more intuitive, and more in line with what we're used to on baseball bugs. You don't need to have "lit" top and bottom arrows flanking the inning number when you can simply render it as "^2" or "v4" (bear with me on the characters). Color-coding the abbreviations isn't necessary; you should be able to deduce who's who through various context clues, and besides practically everyone's blue and/or red anyway. Upper-left seems less obtrusive to me than lower-right. This can all be really really simple, guys.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

No, the Wrigley board indicates the count numerically, the Fenway board uses dots. If you mean the game promos, I'd have to look at them again, but they always looked more like Fenway to me.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

NBC? When? The Baseball Network era? Not fresh in my mind. :) I don't get FSN anymore in Chicago, so maybe that's why, but mainly I meant ESPN switching from one corner to the other and also the whole "it's cut off" thing (although I realize I can blame the old, small TV I'm using right now).

The last NBC era where they just had playoffs and All-Star rights, they had their bug in that lower corner. And if I remember right Fox Sports Net had it their in the early days as well.

I love the new ESPN graphics package, but theyre really screwing it up with the score bugs. It doesn't really match what I see in Sportscenters presentation. I really want all sports to reflect the new style they got going there, it could be good.

It's only a matter of time before that big blue info bar gets replaced by the one they use on Sportscenter now.

bSLCtu2.png

imag0005.jpg

I like the design, but why put it THERE? It could end up blocking the pitcher or even plate with certain camera angles.

seconded. great design, but terrible placing. move it up to either corner (the left probably works the best) and that's a winner.

sig2024.png

imag0005.jpg

I like the design, but why put it THERE? It could end up blocking the pitcher or even plate with certain camera angles.

You realize this picture is zoomed in and not a shot of the whole screen, right? It's not even close to blocking anything important.

One thing I thought of, as I wasn't watching yesterday when this game aired: When they display the player info bar at the bottom of the screen, wouldn't it interfere with the scoring bug? At least with the one they've been using, it stays up at the top of the screen when the info bar is on screen at the bottom. I would assume the new bug disappears with the bar.

3834694136_f375c335e2_o.jpg3833900697_df7864756a_o.jpg

Archived