Arizona Diamondbacks

Lights Out

I believe you misunderstood me... the termination points of the coils were actually right on, it's the curve of the coil itself. I'll try to demonstrate:

.............---------....---------..............

......-------.........----.........-------.......

------....................................-------

It'd look like that (double-arch-like) if viewed from the side.

CHL-2011ECchamps-HAM.pngHamilton Eagles- 2012 and 2013 Continental Hockey League Champions! CHL-2011ECchamps-HAM.png

2011, 2012, 2013, 2014 & 2015 CHL East Division Champions!

Niagara Dragoons- 2012 United League and CCSLC World Series Champions!
2012, 2013, 2014 and 2015 UL Robinson Division Champions!

dbacks6.png

dbacks8.png

Absolute final version. The snake actually ends on this one - its rattler is now visible on the front. The NOB has been moved above the number and both have been centered. Also, I wanted to match the cap logo, which doesn't continue the diamond pattern along the entire snake's body. Therefore, I didn't continue the diamond pattern.

Thanks everybody for your very nice comments. I think I've come a long way from those disastrous Ravens re-colors, haven't I?

Beautiful, especially the home jersey. My one recommendation from the original design was for a rattler tail. Mission accomplished.

87Redskins.png

I suppose the idea is all right, and I suppose you can't completely dismiss originality, but I don't see why baseball (or any other sport) needs visual originality to this degree. I'd much rather see every team in a uniform that does its job while looking how a baseball uniform has looked for the better part of a century. To me, this goes above and beyond what a baseball uniform is supposed to do, to the point where it's just excess. I'd never want to see it on a Major League Baseball field, because it's distracting. It's unprofessional in that it doesn't look like the type of uniform a professional baseball player wears; it doesn't adequately represent the history of the game for me.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

I suppose the idea is all right, and I suppose you can't completely dismiss originality, but I don't see why baseball (or any other sport) needs visual originality to this degree. I'd much rather see every team in a uniform that does its job while looking how a baseball uniform has looked for the better part of a century. To me, this goes above and beyond what a baseball uniform is supposed to do, to the point where it's just excess. I'd never want to see it on a Major League Baseball field, because it's distracting. It's unprofessional in that it doesn't look like the type of uniform a professional baseball player wears; it doesn't adequately represent the history of the game for me.

I agree, it all just seems too much. But, I think the wrap-around snake could be used on the sleeves.

Baseball has become very boring and staid as of late, in my opinion. Everything from the complete lack of a salary cap in order to protect teams like the Yankees, Phillies, and Red Sox, to the transparent attempt to make us all forget the steroid scandal by recalling the "glory days" when cocaine was the drug of choice, to the forced and inaccurate "traditional" style of uniforms and ballparks (even for expansion teams that weren't around in the '20s, but dress like they were) just comes across as forced blandness instituted because the excitement of the '90s was tainted by steroid use. In the new boring era of baseball, is an exciting uniform too much to ask for? I'm sorry that my concepts don't fit into the purists' attitude that baseball uniforms should all be white and grey with the team name in one-color block letters. I guess that would match the image that baseball has taken on these days.

The Yankees, Tigers, Dodgers, Reds, Giants, Red Sox, Cubs, and White Sox are the only teams that should even be attempting to look back to baseball's past, IMO. Teams that joined later, like the Astros, Rockies, Twins, Diamondbacks, etc. should not even attempt to do that. They weren't around in Babe Ruth's time, why should they have to look the part?

As for not adequately representing the history of the game, the Diamondbacks have been around since 1998. Why should they give a crap about the history of the game? They should be making their own history, and original uniforms like the ones I've suggested would be a great start.

Sorry for the epic rant here, but I'm quickly getting tired of many members of this forum's stance on baseball uniforms. Where would the fun be in talking about baseball uniforms here if they all look the same?

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

Baseball has become very boring and staid as of late, in my opinion. Everything from the complete lack of a salary cap in order to protect teams like the Yankees, Phillies, and Red Sox, to the transparent attempt to make us all forget the steroid scandal by recalling the "glory days" when cocaine was the drug of choice, to the forced and inaccurate "traditional" style of uniforms and ballparks (even for expansion teams that weren't around in the '20s, but dress like they were) just comes across as forced blandness instituted because the excitement of the '90s was tainted by steroid use. In the new boring era of baseball, is an exciting uniform too much to ask for? I'm sorry that my concepts don't fit into the purists' attitude that baseball uniforms should all be white and grey with the team name in one-color block letters. I guess that would match the image that baseball has taken on these days.

The Yankees, Tigers, Dodgers, Reds, Giants, Red Sox, Cubs, and White Sox are the only teams that should even be attempting to look back to baseball's past, IMO. Teams that joined later, like the Astros, Rockies, Twins, Diamondbacks, etc. should not even attempt to do that. They weren't around in Babe Ruth's time, why should they have to look the part?

As for not adequately representing the history of the game, the Diamondbacks have been around since 1998. Why should they give a crap about the history of the game? They should be making their own history, and original uniforms like the ones I've suggested would be a great start.

Sorry for the epic rant here, but I'm quickly getting tired of many members of this forum's stance on baseball uniforms. Where would the fun be in talking about baseball uniforms here if they all look the same?

Word. Baseball definitely needs some creative uniform designs and colors from some of it's newer teams, like the D-Backs. Let the Yanks and Sox and so on have their tradition, let the expansion era clubs make some tradition of their own.

As for the concept I like the final tweaks, but the number/NOB need to be moved up some. I'm thinking so the numbers are centered within the snake coils and the NOB is above them entirely. Once again great job overall!

I love it. That was always one of the best TATC designs. However, and I really didn't want to have to be the one to point this out, but as it stands now, the rattler of the snake would be tucked into the pants, and it's in a rather unfortunate spot. Basically, it would look like the snake is coming out of the player's crotch. :oops:

3834694136_f375c335e2_o.jpg3833900697_df7864756a_o.jpg

Word. Baseball definitely needs some creative uniform designs and colors from some of it's newer teams, like the D-Backs. Let the Yanks and Sox and so on have their tradition, let the expansion era clubs make some tradition of their own.

As for the concept I like the final tweaks, but the number/NOB need to be moved up some. I'm thinking so the numbers are centered within the snake coils and the NOB is above them entirely. Once again great job overall!

Couldn't agree more. And what's a bit sad is that teams like Arizona and Tampa Bay did, for a time, have their own unique identities. Arizona won a World Series in its pinstripped purple and teal uniforms. Tampa Bay was the Devil Rays in purple and green. Were they the prettiest uniforms? No, but at least they were unique. And now both teams have dropped those identities for the same boring old red and blue everyone else wears. When I see Arizona on TV now, I'm not sure if it's really the Red Sox, Reds, or Phillies. When I see Tampa Bay on TV, they could pass for the Blue Jays, Royals or the Mariners. It used to be I could never mistake Arizona for any other team in baseball, and I think that was a good thing.

Baseball just doesn't have enough originality in it. Tradition is fine, but it's also perfectly fine NOT to be traditional, and I wish more teams in baseball also understood this.

word.

its best you not try to argue with baseball purists. i like what you are doing here and i would love to see more expansion teams do something like this. the TATC uniforms were my personal favorite uniforms ever. i always like the tricked out tatc designs.

islandersscroll.gif

Spoilers!

word.

its best you not try to argue with baseball purists. i like what you are doing here and i would love to see more expansion teams do something like this. the TATC uniforms were my personal favorite uniforms ever. i always like the tricked out tatc designs.

Was that because or in spite of them moving the Mets to Mercury? :P

In all honesty, the lack of colours now shown by the recent expansion teams is sad and disturbing. Sure, we all love a retro jersey or a retro feel to a uniform, but these teams aren't from the 1930's, they're just a team that is pretending they have a place in baseball history when they should be trying to create their own place for the future.

CHL-2011ECchamps-HAM.pngHamilton Eagles- 2012 and 2013 Continental Hockey League Champions! CHL-2011ECchamps-HAM.png

2011, 2012, 2013, 2014 & 2015 CHL East Division Champions!

Niagara Dragoons- 2012 United League and CCSLC World Series Champions!
2012, 2013, 2014 and 2015 UL Robinson Division Champions!

I guess we'll have to agree to disagree, then. Why should the Diamondbacks care about the history of baseball? Because they're a professional baseball team. There wouldn't be an Arizona Diamondbacks without the history that has preceded them. I think the excitement should come from the game and the experience itself, not the uniforms. The uniform has two jobs: clearly identify the team and the player. A uniform like this simply distracts from that purpose in my opinion. Say what you will, but 'traditional' is not synonymous with 'boring,' as far as I'm concerned. I don't think baseball needs trendy design elements. It needs variety and uniqueness, just like you said. I just prefer that those unique design elements come from the history of the game rather than a trend catalog.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

I understand that there wouldn't be an Arizona Diamondbacks if not for the more tenured teams' successes, but that doesn't mean they have to look exactly like the more tenured teams.

This uniform does identify the team and player, IMO. I think the giant rattlesnake on the front of the uniform would indicate even to people that know almost nothing about baseball that they are watching the Diamondbacks, not the Red Sox or Phillies. And the player's name is on the back just like a normal uniform.

By the way, some of the design elements "from the history of the game" were once fresh out of the "trend catalog" of their era. Just a thought.

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

On topic: I have a new favorite concept :)

Off topic: Baseball is a game of traditions, but it should be a game of evolving traditions. I'm one of the biggest proponents you'll find of home whites and road greys, and yet I adore the Padres tan roads, mostly because it honors tradition by evolving it. I'm a fan of the alternate jerseys (not just because my team has three :P ) and I feel that without them, the baseball world would become rather bland. Sure, we'd have our tradition, but at the cost of originality and, possibly, fan interest.

This concept is rather revolutionary, yes, and if I were a D'Backs fan I'd hate to see them on the field every day (but that's mostly because I adore the current Arizona set). But as an alternate uniform, this is an excellent concept and one I wouldn't mind seeing on a baseball diamond.

2011 Colorado Rockies | Season from Hell

sig_11.png

great idea. (but it looks as if the rattler will be tucked into the pants if the jerseys were actually worn.) it would also be very interesting if you took the wrapping snake idea and implemented it into their normal every day uniforms. maybe a shadow or pinstripes (something subtle) to show the snake wrap still.

Miami.png

Archived