The Cornucopia of Possible NBA Logo Changes

Discogod

Question - is the half circle on the top of the paint considered part of the lane? I mean, is it counted for things like 3-second violations? Or are its only purposes to serve as a free-throw shooting boundary and as the jump-ball circle?

I get the impression that the bottom of the circle is "broken" because it's part of the actual lane, so that means that the top part isn't. If it isn't, then IMO it shouldn't be colored.

That's a good question, I was wondering the same thing. Anyone know?

The top half of the circle is not a part of the lane. It's basically to serve as the other half of the circle for half-court jumpballs. Only thing that counts as the paint is the square area. Hope this answers!

Thanks. What about the "college lines" on each edge of the rectangle? Are they just there specifically in case college games are played at the arena, or do they serve a purpose in the NBA game? I've noticed that even at NBA arenas where they either don't play college games or they lay down a college-specific floor, the lines are still there. In this cavs design, the paint is just one large rectangle, sans college lines. Is that how it's actually going to be?

As far as I know, the college lines are more for aesthetics than anything else (note that most teams don't even have the blocks along the college lines anymore). The floor at the All-Star Game this year didn't have any college lines, so apparently the NBA is comfortable going without.

00faa98b6e52c99408d3635714c21bdd-getty-95705409sd002_2010_nba_all_.jpg

I'm going to guess that's the next trend in NBA floors. In the '90s, it was painting the area inside the 3-point line, the '00s brought the two-tone floors. Now, in the '10s, no more college lane lines.

As far as the top half of the circle outside the lane - someone feel free to correct me if I'm wrong here - but I think that, in addition to being part of the jump-ball circle, it's also the boundary for where you can shoot free throws from. Of course, with few exceptions, everybody always stands in the same spot, so it's somewhat a moot point.

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I didn't notice that about the All-Star court only being 1 solid rectangle. I think that is a good thing.

One thing I do like about the Cavs new court is that the 2 recent trends, having the outside rectangle 1 color, then the center rectangle a different color, see: Dallas, Miami, Orlando. Or, having the 2 tone court, with just the outside rectangles colored, then the center rectangle another shade of wood, see: Toronto, Phoenix, Houston.

_CLEVELANDTHATILOVEIndians.jpg

SAINT IGNATIUS WILDCATS | CLEVELAND BROWNS | CLEVELAND CAVALIERS | CLEVELAND INDIANS | THE OHIO STATE BUCKEYES

I like it, but your depiction is a bit off in some parts.

- NOTE: Hockey Ice melted the mountain logo court, so they used the previous years one. I'm surprised they even kept the old note floor.

That must've been another later court, because I have seen footage where the stripes wrap around the baselines too. And yeah, I know the arena name is supposed to be at center court with the main logos, but I took a few liberties.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Not sure if these are going to be the real deal, but I still thought I'd post. I saw someone post these on Twitter. He said it was from an up-coming Video Game, didn't say which game though.

137800045.jpg

137799888.jpg

Nah, it's just a mod for the PC version of NBA 2K10.

Not sure if these are going to be the real deal, but I still thought I'd post. I saw someone post these on Twitter. He said it was from an up-coming Video Game, didn't say which game though.

137800045.jpg

137799888.jpg

The number and letters are correct, but I don't think they are going to have those trim patterns, nor are they going to have side panels. God, I hate that navy jersey, hopefully it goes away forever.

SAINT IGNATIUS WILDCATS | CLEVELAND BROWNS | CLEVELAND CAVALIERS | CLEVELAND INDIANS | THE OHIO STATE BUCKEYES

In the spirit of my Mecca-inspired court, here's a shot at a modernized Salt Palace floor.

utah1copy.jpg

I don't like it.

I like it, but your depiction is a bit off in some parts.

- NOTE: Hockey Ice melted the mountain logo court, so they used the previous years one. I'm surprised they even kept the old note floor.

That's bizarre, i never knew they played games with the mountain identity on the note court, melted hockey ice or not. Maybe it was foreshadowing for the current "fusion" identity. j/k.

WIZARDS ORIOLES CAPITALS RAVENS UNITED

the site took it down, luckily i saved it before they did this so here it is.

court_1011_1200.jpg

Hi, everyone! Been reading this board for quite some time now and finally able to contribute.

This new Cavs court is just a thing of beauty, as close to graphic design perfection as it gets, IMO. And I'm glad it's my Cavs who pulled it off this time. From atrocious to the best in the league. (If this is what comes with the departure of LeBron, maybe it wasn't such a bad thing after all. :rolleyes: )

Hi, everyone! Been reading this board for quite some time now and finally able to collaborate.

This new Cavs court is just a thing of beauty, as close to graphic design perfection as it gets, IMO. And I'm glad it's my Cavs who pulled it off this time. From atrocious to the best in the league. (If this is what comes with the departure of LeBron, maybe it wasn't such a bad thing after all. :rolleyes: )

What's the chances the redesign wouldn't have happened if LeBron stayed put in Cleveland?

Hi, everyone! Been reading this board for quite some time now and finally able to collaborate.

What's the chances the redesign wouldn't have happened if LeBron stayed put in Cleveland?

Well, I obviously said it with a taste of humour.

Oh, I noticed the humor you intended, and I'm just asking a question based on what I truly believe. I'm pretty sure if LeBron would have stayed in Cleveland, the Cavs wouldn't suddenly need to change their already good identity.

Oh, I noticed the humor you intended, and I'm just asking a question based on what I truly believe. I'm pretty sure if LeBron would have stayed in Cleveland, the Cavs wouldn't suddenly need to change their already good identity.

You're right there. Although the court could have used the renovation, IMO. At first, I was upset too about the change of the gold to current yellow, and the unis, but now that I look at it, I think the new colors - and the identity - are even better than the previous ones (without having seen the jerseys).

I don't understand what the Cavs are doing. They said they wanted to release the uniforms before the end of last season. The only logos they released are the ones that are just recolored. The new wordmark was released on the Draft Hats, but then pulled. Now they release the design of the court, and it gets pulled.

It's almost like they are trying to get some quick feed back and making changes after hearing what people are saying. I hope it is such a delay because they are actually trying to make it a great franchise rebrand and cover all the bases.

The previous Cavs set was near-perfect. People say that a change is needed to distance the team from the James era, but I don't really see why. The James-led Cavs never won a NBA Championship, and they wore every throwback in team history. They even made some up. So it's not like the previous wine and old gold scheme was identifiable with James.

The new colour scheme seems like a step down. The logo still has a fair amount of blue in it, yet the uniforms will be mostly red and yellow. The uniforms are also getting new wordmarks, but the change in wordmark won't be reflected in the recoloured logo. The whole thing's an unnecessary mess.

Just wear the 2003-2010 look the way it was meant to be worn (white at home, wine on the road, navy sparingly) with little to no use of throwback uniforms.

Logo / uniform mods have to be approved nearly a full year in advance (if not at least a full year) so this was happening regardless of what LeBron did, just like the switch to wine and gold was happening regardless of whether the league decided to rig the lottery for them or not that year.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

137800045.jpg

137799888.jpg

At least they got the number of fans going to see a Cavs game right.

hollywoodp.jpg

The previous Cavs set was near-perfect. People say that a change is needed to distance the team from the James era, but I don't really see why. The James-led Cavs never won a NBA Championship, and they wore every throwback in team history. They even made some up. So it's not like the previous wine and old gold scheme was identifiable with James.

Agreed. It really was. This uniform:

4ednbbjjasnibh2o18dfdjhtg.gif

was top tier in the NBA, IMO, and it's a damned shame that it's gone now. The entire set was just clean, classy, & sharp. The new uniforms better be something else, because they've got a hell of a precedent to top.

Also, I've never been a fan of the whole "Franchise player is gone? OH HELL NAW CHANGE THE UNIFORMS!!111!1!1!1%!" thing. If you're gonna change uniforms, do it because you need an upgrade or an update. Not because of something like that, that's silly. That's like saying "EMMITT SMITH WENT TO THE COWBOYS!!?!?!? CHANGE THE ENTIRE IDENTITY! BAH GAWD, IT REMINDS ME TOO MUCH OF THE MEMORIES!!!" Stop that.

Archived