Eagles will bring back the kelly green uniforms

thewhodat

I wish they would wear their current uniforms, only replacing the midnight green with the kelly green...

... and the charcole with silver. That would be a near-perfect look.

I'll admit that maybe it's because I've only known this style in the darker colors, but I just don't see kelly green working well on a contemporary uniform (I really couldn't think of an adjective there - they're kinda traditional, but also have modern elements. They're not old or new.)

Actually, now that I think of it, I think it's the shiny material that makes kelly green suck. On flat mesh, it's a great color and a great look, but on the dazzle material, it just looks really cheap to me.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Looks like a practice jersey.

...no different than the uninspired current Giants jerseys.

Giants jerseys are fine, and inspired by one of their greatest eras. Soooo... :P

Stay Tuned Sports Podcast
sB9ijEj.png

Yeah, apparently you need side panelled clown suits with piping to nowhere if you don't want to look "generic."

Why do you always jump to the total extreme? Nobody is saying that. Just have some elements that make the jersey look like something other than "stock green" that you would find in an old sporting goods catalog. A sleeve logo, under-collar wordmark, number trim, collar / cuffs, etc. are all things that could be added without making the jersey look like "clown suits". The current Eagles jersey is anything but generic, but it's hardly a side panelled [sic] clown suit with piping to nowhere.

Now I realize that those things weren't options for them this time due to the year that they are celebrating, but in general, to think that anyone who thinks a design is generic (especially when it clearly is) wants some overdesigned mess like the Bills uniform is just wrong.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Yeah, apparently you need side panelled clown suits with piping to nowhere if you don't want to look "generic."

Why do you always jump to the total extreme? Nobody is saying that. Just have some elements that make the jersey look like something other than "stock green" that you would find in an old sporting goods catalog. A sleeve logo, under-collar wordmark, number trim, collar / cuffs, etc. are all things that could be added without making the jersey look like "clown suits". The current Eagles jersey is anything but generic, but it's hardly a side panelled [sic] clown suit with piping to nowhere.

Now I realize that those things weren't options for them this time due to the year that they are celebrating, but in general, to think that anyone who thinks a design is generic (especially when it clearly is) wants some overdesigned mess like the Bills uniform is just wrong.

Calm down chief. My post wasn't directed at you, it was directed at bohob.

And I'm always jumping to the extreme? Please. I've defended many new looks like the Eagles, Patriots, Rams, Panthers, etc... countless times. My position has always been that I don't dislike modern uniforms, I dislike modern uniforms that look bad like the Bengals and Bills (and for the record I also dislike bad retro looks like Philadelphia's 75th Anniversary set).

I actually like the current Eagles' set, it's a fantastic mix of new and old. The only thing I would change would be the number font. I've never liked it. I would like to see them go with something that more closely matches their wordmark. Other then that though, I think it's a very well designed solid contemporary set.

But to reiterate, my post wasn't directed at you, or your well thought out middle of the road position. It was directed at bohob's post specifically and at the seemingly prevalent "new school" train of thought championed by vmd9 and dennisbegwhatever that do in fact praise the over panelled and over piped clown suites as being "sick" and "new."

So close the war chest will ya? No one was launching any bombs your way.

I wish they would wear their current uniforms, only replacing the midnight green with the kelly green...

... and the charcoal with silver. That would be a near-perfect look.

While we're at it, could we bring back the silver pants? That would be perfect.

Now that McNabb is gone, I think the Black alt is done in Philly too. As far as not wearing the black alt this year because of the 1960 throwbacks, they did wear the blacks in the 75th season IIRC. The 75th and theses new ones are/were one offs and don't count against the league's 3 jersey rule. The Chargers wore a total of 4 uniforms last year. I think the NFL makes exceptions to the rules when a team is celebrating a milestone like the 60 championship, AFL's 50th anniversary and so on. As an Eagles fan, I am loving the Kelly green and classic wing. Now if Lurie would just do us all a favor and bring back either the Jaworski or Cunningham jerseys as the alt, it would be perfect. And to whoever said the number font on the current unis needs to be changed, I agree totally.

93-94canucks.jpg

Now that McNabb is gone, I think the Black alt is done in Philly too. As far as not wearing the black alt this year because of the 1960 throwbacks, they did wear the blacks in the 75th season IIRC. The 75th and theses new ones are/were one offs and don't count against the league's 3 jersey rule. The Chargers wore a total of 4 uniforms last year. I think the NFL makes exceptions to the rules when a team is celebrating a milestone like the 60 championship, AFL's 50th anniversary and so on. As an Eagles fan, I am loving the Kelly green and classic wing. Now if Lurie would just do us all a favor and bring back either the Jaworski or Cunningham jerseys as the alt, it would be perfect. And to whoever said the number font on the current unis needs to be changed, I agree totally.

Not sure how McNabb's presence (or lack thereof) has anything to do with the black jersey.

Also, I'm pretty sure that they did not wear black during the 2007 season (the 75th year with the yellow-blue alt.) I wouldn't bet money on it, but I generally remember when they bust out the blacks.

And I'm always jumping to the extreme? Please. I've defended many new looks like the Eagles, Patriots, Rams, Panthers, etc... countless times. My position has always been that I don't dislike modern uniforms, I dislike modern uniforms that look bad like the Bengals and Bills (and for the record I also dislike bad retro looks like Philadelphia's 75th Anniversary set).

I actually like the current Eagles' set, it's a fantastic mix of new and old. The only thing I would change would be the number font. I've never liked it. I would like to see them go with something that more closely matches their wordmark. Other then that though, I think it's a very well designed solid contemporary set.

But to reiterate, my post wasn't directed at you, or your well thought out middle of the road position. It was directed at bohob's post specifically and at the seemingly prevalent "new school" train of thought championed by vmd9 and dennisbegwhatever that do in fact praise the over panelled and over piped clown suites as being "sick" and "new."

It doesn't matter who your post was directed at. "not generic" != "clown suits with piping to nowhere", yet you implied that if someone has the opinion that these are generic, they automatically want clown suits. I guess for some strange reason I'm sticking up for bohob and everyone else who said they were generic or looked like a practice jersey. It's like saying that anyone in the US who doesn't favor national healthcare is a gun-toting bible-carrying minority-hating right-wing kook. Well, actually, that's not too far off, tongue.gif but my point still stands.

It doesn't matter who your post was directed at. "not generic" != "clown suits with piping to nowhere", yet you implied that if someone has the opinion that these are generic, they automatically want clown suits. I guess for some strange reason I'm sticking up for bohob and everyone else who said they were generic or looked like a practice jersey. It's like saying that anyone in the US who doesn't favor national healthcare is a gun-toting bible-carrying minority-hating right-wing kook. Well, actually, that's not too far off, tongue.gif but my point still stands.

Well joking aside, your comparison would have worked without the turn-around. I know a few Americans who don't want national healthcare who aren't minority hating Jesus freak rednecks. I disagree with them, but they're not this group of reactionary idiots the Obamamanics think they are. This is probably the wrong place for a rant like that, but hey, you brought it up.

Anyway to your point. Here's how it works. I like modern uniforms that are designed nicely. Like what the Rams and Patriots have, for example. I even like what the Broncos use. So I think I'm fairly moderate on things like this. I don't automatically love every retro uniform, and I don't hate every contemporary look. I've stated that opinion of mine so much I kind of feel like a broken record posting it every time some "old school vs new school" uniform debate comes up. So really, I always jump to extremes? Yeah, no.

In the case of these Eagles throwbacks, well lets look at them shall we? Are they overly plain, even for an older design? Yes they are. Does that mean they look bad? Not necessarily. There's something to be said for the simplicity of a (near) two-colour scheme. I wouldn't want it full time, because I think the current contemporary look is better, but still on their own they don't look that bad.

And yes, "not generic" =/= "clown suites." Again, I was directing my post to the people on here who do trumpet the Bills and Bengals sets as "new" and "exciting."

So you're right, but it also works in reverse.

"Simplistic and retro" =/= "bad and boring."

Current Eagles' dark jersey, re-colored with traditional Kelly Green body, and Silver (instead of Charcoal) trim:

PhiladelphiaEagles_PropJR1_SOL.png

I''ve sat and looked at this for about ten minutes, and I think I'm almost ready to trick myself into something I didn't think I'd say:

Midnight > kelly

Maybe it's just that particular shade of green. Maybe if it had just s twinge more blue to it? (Akin to Michigan State's [former] green, maybe?)

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

It's a throwback, not a new alternate. It's supposed to look plain as hell. With that being said, I wish they would use the old numbers though.

On January 16, 2013 at 3:49 PM, NJTank said:

Btw this is old hat for Notre Dame. Knits Rockne made up George Tip's death bed speech.

Buc, I think it's because of the black collar and cuffs. Kelly really doesn't work well with that much black. The early '90s set only had black on the number trim and sleeve logo, so it was OK. Also, a color like kelly that is so "traditional" usually looks better with simple numbers - either one color or one outline. Look at the Celtics for example (though I guess the old North Stars might be an exception, as their yellow and black outlines looked really good IMO.) Also, like I said earlier, the dazzle material looks bad with Kelly, but good with a "modern" color like midnight green.

For the record, I also think that the late '80s Jets set with the black sucked, because it was dazzle and had too much black (black facemasks really suck with kelly helmets.)

Archived