Eagles will bring back the kelly green uniforms

thewhodat

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, ALMOST a good decision. They're only throwbacks. They need to bring back the color full-time.

They look too generic though, not even accurate. I always remembered the flying eagle logo on the sleeves, unless this ultra-plain version is really before my time. They could have executed it better.

87Redskins.png

Now that McNabb is gone, I think the Black alt is done in Philly too. As far as not wearing the black alt this year because of the 1960 throwbacks, they did wear the blacks in the 75th season IIRC. The 75th and theses new ones are/were one offs and don't count against the league's 3 jersey rule. The Chargers wore a total of 4 uniforms last year. I think the NFL makes exceptions to the rules when a team is celebrating a milestone like the 60 championship, AFL's 50th anniversary and so on. As an Eagles fan, I am loving the Kelly green and classic wing. Now if Lurie would just do us all a favor and bring back either the Jaworski or Cunningham jerseys as the alt, it would be perfect. And to whoever said the number font on the current unis needs to be changed, I agree totally.

If anything, they'll need something like a black jersey to boost the jersey sales they'll lose from letting McNabb go. I highly doubt the fans will get excited enough over Kolb to buy his jersey.

They've just lost their 3 fan-favorite players:

Dawkins

McNabb

Westbrook

They only real marketable player they have left is DeSean Jackson.

87Redskins.png

Now that McNabb is gone, I think the Black alt is done in Philly too. As far as not wearing the black alt this year because of the 1960 throwbacks, they did wear the blacks in the 75th season IIRC. The 75th and theses new ones are/were one offs and don't count against the league's 3 jersey rule. The Chargers wore a total of 4 uniforms last year. I think the NFL makes exceptions to the rules when a team is celebrating a milestone like the 60 championship, AFL's 50th anniversary and so on. As an Eagles fan, I am loving the Kelly green and classic wing. Now if Lurie would just do us all a favor and bring back either the Jaworski or Cunningham jerseys as the alt, it would be perfect. And to whoever said the number font on the current unis needs to be changed, I agree totally.

If anything, they'll need something like a black jersey to boost the jersey sales they'll lose from letting McNabb go. I highly doubt the fans will get excited enough over Kolb to buy his jersey.

Dawkins

McNabb

Westbrook

McNabb = fan favorite? LOL x 100.

Lots of kids and maybe girls have his jersey, but adults mostly have Dawkins, Westbrook, Sheldon Brown (also gone), Trotter, Stewart Bradley, Trent Cole, and even John Runyan (gone.)

People are plenty excited about Kolb. You will see plenty of his jersey this year. Not as much as those other guys (especially Dawkins), but more than you think. Most people are very happy to have someone at QB that they want to support and see succeed, as opposed to an insecure oversensitive mope like McNabb. The first time Kolb completes a screen pass that the receiver didn't have to pick up off of the ground, the ovation will be deafening.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Dawkins

McNabb

Westbrook

Yeah, I have laughed at them booing him since the day they drafted him, but his jerseys are EVERYWHERE. I live in PA, I see them.

They hate him, but wear his jerseys. :D

87Redskins.png

I love them. I know its been reported that Lurie does not like the kelly green Randall-era set (my personal fave), but I am glad to see him allow this use. Some people say boring and plain, I say clean and classic.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Dr. Kelso: My son is a big baseball fan. Not so much playing it, but more the designing and sewing of uniforms.

Tyler: That's neat.

Dr. Kelso: No, it's not.

Dawkins

McNabb

Westbrook

Yeah, I have laughed at them booing him since the day they drafted him, but his jerseys are EVERYWHERE. I live in PA, I see them.

They hate him, but wear his jerseys. biggrin.gif

Well I live in Philadelphia, work in suburban Philadelphia, and work as an usher at the Linc, so I'm at every game, and I can guarantee you that while yes - there certainly are a lot of McNabb jerseys out there, they are worn mostly (NOT exclusively though) by kids and girls (though I'd say that there are more women in Westbrook jerseys.) More adult men (or I should say more of the "core" fanbase) runs away from his jersey. It's mostly the casual fans or the kids who just see McNabb in his cartoon or in commercials that wear his jersey. So I'm not saying that you're wrong, but it's certainly not the #1 jersey (I'd guess it's #3 or #4 at best) and certainly not among the demographic that would be considered the core fan.

I know that this isn't the right place to discuss his strengths and weaknesses, but I honestly think that in the long run, this team (well, any team) will be better off without him. If I have to eat those words, so be it.

I love these uniforms. Maybe a slight tweak as far as a winged eagle(full body)logo on the arms. Other than that they are perfect.

Most teams change or alter uniforms to signal a new era for the team and I would say trading McNabb would definitely signal that.

Aside from a new number font, I think it would be hard to update the current Eagles look. Maybe using more silver (silver pants?) and downplaying the charcoal would work. All in all, they need very little work.

Actual Eagles jerseys:

PhiladelphiaEagles_JR1_2008-9999_SO.png

PhiladelphiaEagles_JR2_2008-9999_SO.png

I agree with those who don't think that these need much work. Personally, I'd replace the Charcoal with Silver, and standardize the Silvers into one (they currently use two different ones - one for the helmet decal, and another for the marks).

Otherwise I like these. (Even the number font.)

Agree, McNabb jerseys really only appeal to casual fans, which I guess means they'll lose some revenue but I guarantee Kolb will be a big selling jersey this year. McCoy, Jackson, Bradley, Celek, and Cole will all rise a lot this year I think.

spacer.png

erikas | go birds | dribbble 

Since few people seem to understand what's going on, let me clarify a few things:

BUSTER: This is the 1960 uniform, and it is accurate. It is being worn in honor of the 50th anniversary of the Eagles' NFL championship season in 1960. That is why they are 'ultra-generic' and that is also why they are not wearing the Jaworski superstripe uniforms or the Cunningham eagle-on-the-sleeve uniforms. Wouldn't make any sense for the event they are celebrating.

JIGGA: The jerseys do feature the 1960 serifed numerals. They are the same as the numerals on the NY Titans throwbacks.

I love this color, but I don't like that the helmet is green and silver while the uniform is green and white. I think silver numerals, silver pants, silver stripes on the socks and a matching set of silver stripes on the sleeves would make this rock, and wouldn't be so generic. It would be unique in this league. I also would rather they included both stripes on the socks instead of going for the faux sanitary sock look like the Falcons did on their throwbacks. The original socks had two white stripes, spaced rather far apart, and the sanitary sock that players pulled up over the green stirrup usually covered the bottom stripe, which is the look they tried to replicate with these socks. If those two stripes were added to the sleeves, like the 1960 white jersey had, I think it would be a really nice uniform. You could either move the TV numerals to the shoulder or maybe even place them between the stripes, since they're so far apart.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

Agree, McNabb jerseys really only appeal to casual fans, which I guess means they'll lose some revenue but I guarantee Kolb will be a big selling jersey this year. McCoy, Jackson, Bradley, Celek, and Cole will all rise a lot this year I think.

yeah, I worked in the pro shop this past season at the Linc and at training camp in the merch tent.... best selling jersey was Jackson by far....while we sold McNabb jerseys it wasn't much in mens... pretty much anyone who wanted a McNabb jersey at that point already had one anyway I guess.... Kids and Womens has a much smaller selection of players you could buy from... pretty much just Westbrook, McNabb and Jackson.... so that explains the "popularity" among them.

Vick was huge and McCoy and Cole was big as well.. so was Celek when his jersey finally came in... Bradley would have been big if he wasn't injured.

Kolb I'm sure will sell well this year... people were requesting him last year when he was a back up.

As for the Kelly Green glad to see they stayed true to the 1960 jersey.... looks great.. I agree its too plain for a full time jersey but I would love an updated version to come back full time though... updated Eagle logo with the ball in its Talons would be nice too.

USMNT-1.png

Wait, so the colored part was a stirrup? It must have been worn over bare skin then, right? I guess it wouldn't matter, but I think the loop would be a little (more) uncomfortable.

They're fine, I'm kinda ambivalent toward them one way or the other.

The ones I miss are the blue and yellow throwbacks from a couple years back, they were kinda fun.

I was not a HUGE fan of them then and I am still not a fan of them now.

Put together the entire look (it is a fairly LARGE graphic)....

full_look.jpg

Unfortunately, colors look differently in computer graphics than they do on shiny material. Specifically, the blue appeared significantly lighter in person. Not saying it looked bad, but it really didn't look much like the graphic.

So, I spent about one minute in Illustrator and recolored the primary logo with kelly green and the slightly darker silver they used between 1992-1995. And you know what? I think the colors look better than what they have now:

eagles_helmet.png

eagles_logo.png

Like I said earlier, I wish the Eagles would keep their current identity and uniforms and just swap midnight green for the older kelly green they used to use.

Kudos to the Eagles for going with an accurate throwback. Always amazes me how some teams take the time and trouble to wear throwbacks without assuring they're accurate. What's the point?

But...I wish they'd go ultra-accurate: NNOB. Before somebody says, "What about throwbacks from before facemasks, should they go without facemasks?" Um, no, while it would be interesting to watch, that's a safety issue. Having NOB is useful but it wouldn't be the end of the world to go without them for a couple of games just to get a more authentic look.

Thoughts?

92512B20-6264-4E6C-AAF2-7A1D44E9958B-481-00000047E259721F.jpeg

Kudos to the Eagles for going with an accurate throwback. Always amazes me how some teams take the time and trouble to wear throwbacks without assuring they're accurate. What's the point?

But...I wish they'd go ultra-accurate: NNOB. Before somebody says, "What about throwbacks from before facemasks, should they go without facemasks?" Um, no, while it would be interesting to watch, that's a safety issue. Having NOB is useful but it wouldn't be the end of the world to go without them for a couple of games just to get a more authentic look.

Thoughts?

Pretty sure its just there because its an NFL requirement..... I think its possible that they wanted to but were told no.

USMNT-1.png

Archived