Portland Timbers to have a new logo for MLS Debut

rvrdgsfn

If the MLS is Paulsons idea of an investment, he's not much of a business person. When he started this campaign, the MLS wasn't where it is now, which is still not going to make you a ton of money. If anything its a long term investment.

Well, yes and no. MLS itself isn't currently the money-making portion of investing in MLS; it's Soccer United Marketing (SUM). That's where the money is right now and a good part of why there's been a jump in MLS interest.

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ BrandedBehance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

• Replies 312
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You know, I don't really blame Paulson for his reaction at the event. It must have been terribly embarrassing for him, to have staged this whole production and then having his big announcement roundly ridiculed. Hard not to take that personally.

If he's smart, he'll hold a press conference apologizing for his outburst, chalking it up to the passion he has for the club and linking that passion to that of the Timbers fans.

IMO, Merrit Paulson has killed the Portland Beavers. I don't like him, and I'm not going to support the MLS Timbers. I'm a proponent of MLB in Portland, not MLS. So the Timbers Army telling him what to do with his logo, and Paulson's subsequent reaction just makes me smile from ear to ear.

4409811293_559b1d05dd_o.jpg

First, do the Timbers really want their identity mentioned with this team right now?

4703278907_80a113b553.jpg

Second, how many outdated identities do the Timbers want their new crest to be associated with?

4703278787_81dd0dba40.jpg

4409811293_559b1d05dd_o.jpg

Short enough response for you?

Class

FootballCrestLogoComparison.png?t=1276486694

Trash

TimbersRegularSportsLogos.png?t=1276486770

Nice to see you think some of the highest praised logos in all of sports are "trash." The new Timbers logo is so far ahead of the 1970's logo they're using now. It's one of the best identity updates in a long time. Period.

6fQjS3M.png

I feel sick from that.

Oh, I am talking about how the fans presented themselves. Totally classless. You will lose a lot of respect that way.

Well, to be fair, let's also not forget the team's owner completely lost his cool, and had to be restrained from his own team's fans while yelling at those fans, "you can shove your old minor league logo up your @ss!" No joke. Most fans think the current logo is classic and classy, so the minor league jab coupled with the extreme self-assurance on the new logo design have many fans wondering if he even "gets it" when it comes to football club culture.

Not a very classy display from either side yesterday, I'm afraid.

-00c856378a0e4ee5_custom_665xauto.jpg

Wow. I've never felt better about the Sounders' ownership group.

Nice to see you think some of the highest praised logos in all of sports are "trash." The new Timbers logo is so far ahead of the 1970's logo they're using now. It's one of the best identity updates in a long time. Period.

I did not make the video or the pictures I posted. I do though agree with the general sentiment of the work produced. I respectfully disagree that is the best identity upgrade. It is a degrade to the previous logo. Plain and simple. If you look at the different merchandise that has been produced so far and the examples of the design on the web nothing matches in color or shape. Compare the sewn badge to the green or white shirts. Then compare them to the scarves. It is all over the map. That is not a good identity let alone a great one. The choice to put wings on the logo was obtuse.

4592950395_ecb4e14b14_o.png4593568880_52fa798bdd_o.png

They still have an iconic axe and inverted V's.

Not so much.

The line-weights and individual design elements of the axe have been thickened so much as to transform the instrument into something resembling a short, stout hatchet. That's different from an axe.

As for the inverted Vs, they're virtually impossible to identify as such given that they are obscured to a greater degree than those in the original logo, both by the aforementioned axe and the ham-handed placement of the wordmark. Inverted Vs? No. A truncated, vaguely-triangular design element containing four diagonal lines? Sure.

... the passion he has for the club and linking that passion to that of the Timbers fans.

When it comes to Merritt Paulson, something tells me that Timbers fans are going to be mighty skeptical of "the passion he has for the club". Rather, they're likely of the mind that Paulson harbors a passion to be lauded by Portland area soccer fans as the "white knight" who brought the region MLS soccer. Frankly, there's probably truth to that, which would explain Paulson's outburst towards fans at the event. Rather than being embarrassed simply because his selection of logo was ridiculed, Paulson went ballistic because - to his mind - he wasn't being shown the sort of respect befitting an investor who deigned to purchase a Portland-based "minor league team" and elevate it to Major League Soccer.

It was supposed to be a badge we can wear over our hearts. Not a comic book design that should of been scrapped and thrown in the bin.

wow dude, get over it. Its a logo....

You are being a bigger baby than Cristiano Ronaldo...

Archived