2014 Super Bowl in New York or New Jersey?

hawk36

reminds me of texas stadium, smu and cowboys stadium......none of them are actually in dallas, but yet you hear about them being referred to as in dallas.... :wacko:

stars.jpg

dallasmavericks.gif

style1,JBPerry.png

<embed src="http://www.clocklink.com/clocks/5005-Blue.swf?TimeZone=CST&TimeFormat=hhmmssTT" width="180" height="60" wmode="transparent" type="application/x-shockwave-flash">

joshuabperry@sbcglobal.net

My Webpage

This is beyond stupid, and somewhat aggravating. When they say "New York", they mean metro New York, which includes New Jersey. I get how the politicians need to make it seem like they're sticking up for their people, but those people are stupid. If not for New York (city), there wouldn't be a stadium in New Jersey, nor a lot of what's there.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

I'm pretty confident that the NFL will use "New York/New Jersey", which would jive with the "North Texas"/South Florida" blanket they've started to throw over the event.

Super%20Bowl%20XLV%20Logo.jpgsuper-bowl-44-flag-banner.jpg

But please. At some point Jersey is going to have to grow up and face facts - the northern part of the state lies within the New York metropolitan area. It's a New York suburb, and as such will often get lumped in using the city's name as an umbrella.

This bizarre inferiority complex might once have been charming, but now it's just silly.

The Sixers were signed, sealed, and delivered to Camden New Jersey back in the early '90s, before Pat Croce helped to get them sold to the newly formed Comcast Spectacor to share the CoreStates/First Union/Wachovia/Wells Fargo center with the Flyers. At the time, the Sixers were still wearing the waterfall uniforms that said "Philadelphia" above the Sixers wordmark. There was some brief speculation that they'd go with New Jersey, or just drop the city and go with Sixers, but it was said that they were keeping Philadelphia, because South Jersey is the Philly metro area, and is part of the Delaware Valley and hence a suburb.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

I remember that deal. Didn't then-Governor Whitman kill it, as a particularly indefensible example of corporate welfare? (Glendale, take note ;))

Considering that Camden is about a couple thousand feet away from Philadelphia, I'd say that the Sixers would have been perfectly justified in keeping the name.

Calling the Jets/Giants, who play in East Rutherford "New York" is no different than calling the Pistons, who Play in Auburn Hills "Detroit". Obviously, the distinction being made is that it's a different state. But remember, "New York" Jets/Giants is not a reference to the state, but to the city and that part of New Jersey is part of the NYC metro, just like Auburn Hills is part of the DET metro.

I wonder whether people would still be upset if the state/city did not have the same name. If it was Gotham, New York and we had the "Gotham Jets" and "Gotham Giants" playing in NJ, would people still not be as bothered?

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

This is beyond stupid, and somewhat aggravating. When they say "New York", they mean metro New York, which includes New Jersey. I get how the politicians need to make it seem like they're sticking up for their people, but those people are stupid. If not for New York (city), there wouldn't be a stadium in New Jersey, nor a lot of what's there.

Fair enough but it's a completely different STATE.

Same New York argument could be used for Tijuana Mexico and San Diego. If Tijuana had a team would it make sense to call them the San Diego whatevers?

I'd say NY/NJ is the right way to go on names.

I'd say NY/NJ is the right way to go on names.

Because they were the New York Jets/Giants, I definitely prefer what they've done. If they wanted to change to New Jersey, I could live with that. But IMO, there is nothing worse than a complex team location name (see LA Angels of Anaheim). I am very glad they don't do "New York/New Jersey". Teams can do that if they think it will attract (or not alienate) part of a fan base (starting with the Minnesota Twins), but just speaking for myself, I'd prefer it be kept simple.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

The distinction doesn't actually mean very much in the Northeast, where people often live in one state and work in another. Heck, I know people who live, shop and work in three different states.

The metro area becomes much more important, the state lines significantly less so.

That is completely irrelevant, caps or no caps. Arbitrarily determined political boundaries are pretty meaningless when you're talking about a metropolitain area. Look at NYC for example - NYC is the commercial center of interest for counties in PA, NY, NJ, and CT. Philadelphia is the commercial center of interest for counties in PA, NJ, DE, and (I believe) MD. The fact that someone's house just happens to be on the other side of an invisible line doesn't change the fact that they're in the Philadelphia or NYC region.

The difference here lies with the Teams VS. the Stadium. The Dallas Cowboys are a team representing the city of Dallas. They play in a Stadium in North Texas... therefore the team is the Dallas Cowboys but the Super Bowl Location is North Texas. The New York Jets and Giants are teams from New York, even though their home games happen to be in New Jersey, they are still New York teams.

HOWEVER - the Stadium itself is not in New York. New Jersey taxpayers paid for the roads going to the stadium, snow removal, police, etc. It is a New Jersey stadium through and through. It is maintained by the New Jersey Sports and Exposition Authority. It just happens to be owned by the same owners of two football teams who happen to be New York teams.

If you are not from the area you don't understand the issue. Yes North Jersey is within the NY Metro Area as far as TV rights and things like that, and I don't think the Jets or Giants should change their names because they are still New York teams. But the stadium that they play is 100% in New Jersey and should be at least recognized as New York / New Jersey if not simply East Rutherford, NJ.

Its that same as those idiots who think the Brooklyn Nets should be called the New York Nets cuz the Knicks aren't called the Manhattan Knicks. You don't understand the difference if you are not from the area.

goforbroke_zpsb07ade0a.jpg

The difference here lies with the Teams VS. the Stadium. The Dallas Cowboys are a team representing the city of Dallas.

Or are they representing the Dallas Metro area? Yeah, I know it's called the Metroplex or whatever, but that just sounds like a suburban shopping mall, so Dallas is better.

The New York Jets and Giants are teams from New York, even though their home games happen to be in New Jersey, they are still New York teams.

HOWEVER - the Stadium itself is not in New York. New Jersey taxpayers paid for the roads going to the stadium, snow removal, police, etc. It is a New Jersey stadium through and through. It is maintained by the New Jersey Sports and Exposition Authority. It just happens to be owned by the same owners of two football teams who happen to be New York teams.

Again, why does it matter? First, are you absolutely certain that no NYC tax money makes its way into NJ via some authority for this? Even if it doesn't, the fact that those New York teams even play there brings a ton of revenue in to the area that otherwise wouldn't be there, so it's not as if the state of NJ is simply giving without getting at least a little in return.

"they are still New York teams". Define New York? An argument could be made that all sports city names are regional names, not just the obvious ones like Tampa Bay or Arizona.

Also, again - why doe it matter? Whether East Rutherford or New Jersey gets its name slapped on to this thing or not, what's the difference? Are residents of NJ so insecure that they feel slighted that their state's name isn't applied to a game that would have zero chance of happening there if not for the presense of NYC? I spend a lot of time in Parsippany, Morristown, and Bridgewater with family who are Giants fans (and one who is a Jets fan for some unknown reason) and none of them really seem to be offended that their state is "getting the shaft" so to speak.

I get that many people from the south, southwest, or west that don't understand the dynamics of East Coast urbanism and density may not get it, I think I do - and I think that anyone who is upset about this is in the wrong. Without NYC as a social and economic center of interest, none of this discussion is even happening, as there would be no stadium. The people of New Jersey should just be happy that this event is going to bring hundreds of thousands of people into their area to spend money, and having New York attached to the event could be looked at as honoring the city that made it possible.

Its that same as those idiots who think the Brooklyn Nets should be called the New York Nets cuz the Knicks aren't called the Manhattan Knicks. You don't understand the difference if you are not from the area.

It's all about marketing. While Brooklyn Nets may not be as markeatble as NY Nets in the other borroughs, it pretty much solidifies the largest borrough behind the team, while being very marketable nationally to white suburban kids who think that everyone in Brooklyn is Biggie Smalls, and wearing Brooklyn gear makes them hard.

Remember the 1996 NCAA basketball Final Four in East Rutherford had the Statue of Liberty on the logo...

Which is really located in Jersey City, NJ...

(I know it's under NYC jurisdiction, but the maps don't lie...)

And on this subject, I've been to literally hundreds of events at the Meadowlands...Jets, Giants, Nets, Devils, Concerts, Shows, Soccer, Horses, etc.

Face the facts: It's all because of NYC that these teams play here and these events are drawn to the area. If Manhattan were just another island there wouldn't be nearly enough people in the area. So what if it's a different state? The Meadowlands are actually closer to Central Park than Citi Field is. OK, so it's not within the same city, but it's not like they're holding the Super Bowl in East Hanover or Edison or something. Not even Newark, which is still THAT close. It's right next door. I'm gonna have to prepare to just ignore these threads about it for the next 3 1/2 years.

65caba33-7cfc-417f-ac8e-5eb8cdd12dc9_zps

Remember the 1996 NCAA basketball Final Four in East Rutherford had the Statue of Liberty on the logo...

That's because the statue of liberty is really in New Jersey, which is why New York no longer has it on its plates ...

The yellow line is the state line:

lspmap1.gif

Nobody wants to admit they're from Jersey. Just stick with New York, please.

Except for this guy:

Don't tell that to this guy, or you'll be spendin' a lot more time in the Meadowlands than you bargained for, kapish?

TonySoprano1.jpg

Anubis.png

That is completely irrelevant, caps or no caps. Arbitrarily determined political boundaries are pretty meaningless when you're talking about a metropolitain area. Look at NYC for example - NYC is the commercial center of interest for counties in PA, NY, NJ, and CT. Philadelphia is the commercial center of interest for counties in PA, NJ, DE, and (I believe) MD. The fact that someone's house just happens to be on the other side of an invisible line doesn't change the fact that they're in the Philadelphia or NYC region.

It's not exactly arbitrary. There's a river between them. :P

Anyway... By my quick, Google Maps-assisted math, the stadium is less than 7 miles (driving) from NYC.

I'd be curious to see how many other big 4 venues are further out than that. If I had to guess, it's several.

facebook.png twitter.pngblogger.pngflickr-1.jpg

Archived