Brady and Big Ben with the Revoloution

thull

That's the style I wore in both high school (1991-93) and my two years riding the bench for the semi-pro South Arkansas Bears(1997 & 98). I still have my Bears helmet in my bedroom closet, a Riddell, and my high school helmet in storage at my mom's. My Bears facemask was like Majkowski's, so I took my Dremel tool and cut off the bottom bar so I could see better. I wore both style masks (single bar/double) in HS but can't remember which style is at my mom's.

And for the record, I was a tall, not-so-mobile quarterback with a strong arm who threw a pick six at a crucial point in a conference game and only played one more down of high school ball (as a TE on a fluky play)afterwards. I've always loved that style of mask. You sometimes will see fullbacks wear this as well, and for a time safeties,linebackers, and Sterling Sharpe.

98Falcons.png

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I actually prefer the Revo speed look to the first Revos, since they made the facemask at least somewhat traditional looking compared to the Manning style, I still find those repulsive. I'll tell you what facemask I reeeeeally miss though, that I don't think anyone besides Byron Leftwich still sports:

dan-marino.jpg

That's actually my least favorite facemask style of all-time. Maybe it's just the players who chose that style, but nothing says "Hi. I'm a 6'6", 240 lbs quarterback with a panzerschreck for a throwing arm. I'm about as mobile as the Statue of Liberty. While I will throw for 400 yards and three touchdowns, I'll throw a pick at the worst possible time and choke away the game." like that facemask.

I'm looking at you Jeff George, Scott Mitchell, Drew Bledsoe, etc.

I totally agree with that assessment, which is why I found it odd that Randall Cunningham wore that style. Maybe he just wanted really bad to look like a real QB and not a video game, but it looked really odd on him.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

the helmet is designed to reduce concussions, so kudos to Ben. but he practiced with it all last year and never wore it so i doubt that's going to change. not sliding headfirst into linebackers would also help him avoid concussions

He should also avoid getting in motorcycle crashes (or wear a :censored: helmet) and stay away from the night life....

the helmet is designed to reduce concussions, so kudos to Ben. but he practiced with it all last year and never wore it so i doubt that's going to change. not sliding headfirst into linebackers would also help him avoid concussions

I really don't know what you're talking about when you say ben practiced with the revolution all last year. He hasn't touched a helmet different from his original until the spring mini-camps this year. He always liked the way the original riddells looked. Even after his concussion late in the season he didn't switch. He said he would switch the following year(this year) but not during the season last year. I'd say he's probably switched for good now, at least away from his original. If he keeps racking up the concussions his career will be significantly shorted and he won't reach his goal of 5 super bowls. I hope the Revo Speed is as good as advertised when it comes to concussions.

I like the old style a lot better but if i had a few concussions i'd be switching too. I understand not wanting to especially with farve out there being kick ass in his old hat.

At least the Revo Speed is better than the old Revo

fan_a_roethlisberger1x_576.jpg

I really don't know what you're talking about when you say ben practiced with the revolution all last year. He hasn't touched a helmet different from his original until the spring mini-camps this year. He always liked the way the original riddells looked. Even after his concussion late in the season he didn't switch. He said he would switch the following year(this year) but not during the season last year. I'd say he's probably switched for good now, at least away from his original. If he keeps racking up the concussions his career will be significantly shorted and he won't reach his goal of 5 super bowls. I hope the Revo Speed is as good as advertised when it comes to concussions.

I like the old style a lot better but if i had a few concussions i'd be switching too. I understand not wanting to especially with farve out there being kick ass in his old hat.

At least the Revo Speed is better than the old Revo

fan_a_roethlisberger1x_576.jpg

I'd have to think that the jury's still out on whether or not the new generation of helmets actually reduce concussions...sure they may be designed now with concussions in mind but players continue to get bigger and faster...and not to forget I'm sure a measurable portion go under reported (aikman etc.)

what I still think goes much overlooked are the repeated hard blows to the head that don't induce concussions...much like boxing the effects don't show up until into retirement.

I don't care if these guys make millions because this is one of the most brutal ways to make a living.

When you play with the new helmets you feel safer but you also feel more invincible. The old helmets you feel dinged up after 1 hit, the newer helmets you have to get really get jacked up to feel something. The old helmets have hard padding while the newer helmets are softer Revo,Revospeed,dna,air,xp ion 4d,and the Xenith are better and have softer padding and are easier to break in. If the players are bigger and faster why wear a bad helmet? Just if it looks better,but in 10 years you can't even get out of bed in the morning.

To continue with the Revo Speed trend, it looks like Carson Palmer is wearing one right now as well... also Ochocinco's Twitter page says that he will be wearing 4 different helmets including the ION 4D, Revo Speed, Air Advantage, and regular revolution...

4774272.jpg

137047405.jpg

StadiumSig.gif

That's the style I wore in both high school (1991-93) and my two years riding the bench for the semi-pro South Arkansas Bears(1997 & 98). I still have my Bears helmet in my bedroom closet, a Riddell, and my high school helmet in storage at my mom's. My Bears facemask was like Majkowski's, so I took my Dremel tool and cut off the bottom bar so I could see better. I wore both style masks (single bar/double) in HS but can't remember which style is at my mom's.

And for the record, I was a tall, not-so-mobile quarterback with a strong arm who threw a pick six at a crucial point in a conference game and only played one more down of high school ball (as a TE on a fluky play) afterwards.

So your coach thought the interception was completely your fault and not, say, a receiver failing to be where he was supposed to be, or your offensive line's failure to effectively block?

Packers-2.png

Maybe this is just me, but I don't get why more players wear the Schutt Air XP. It's a traditional shell that's designed with concussions in mind, and if I had 210.00 to blow, I'd use it. I guess that's because Riddell is the NFL's official helmet company.

BTW, I've used a Revo the past two years in high school and it's been ok, but the padding is just as stiff as the traditional helmets. If I have the choice between the Speed and the Revo, I'm going Speed because the pads inside are much softer.

And for the record, I was a tall, not-so-mobile quarterback with a strong arm who threw a pick six at a crucial point in a conference game and only played one more down of high school ball (as a TE on a fluky play) afterwards.

So your coach thought the interception was completely your fault and not, say, a receiver failing to be where he was supposed to be, or your offensive line's failure to effectively block?

Well...pretty-much, yep. I was just as culpable for staring-down the reciever and not following through my reads. And kudos to their DB who jumped the route. I've replayed that one play over in my head for almost 17 years and I've always felt it was my fault. I wasn't pressured (in fact I took the snap in the shotgun with split backs in to protect), never had problems seeing the field, and it didn't come out of my hand wrong or "float". I made a bonehead decision but rather than let me atone for my mistake or at least sit to think about it the rest of the game and get back to work on Monday, I never played again. A lot was also politics. I had long hair and dressed like I was Eddie Veder's stunt double and I worshipped former South Carolina QB Steve Tanneyhill, and that just didn't fit with their philosophy. They were old-school and individualism was frowned upon at a time in a youth's life when it should be encouraged. I never looked the part and I didn't fit into a neat box and so I got made an example of. That's a really tough thing to do to a 17yr old, and this is coming from a guy who believes in tough love and discipline. When you live through sometime like that and carry the memory like I have it gives you a different perspective on sports...and on life. Maybe I'll write all about it one day. Until then...back on topic.

98Falcons.png

To continue with the Revo Speed trend, it looks like Carson Palmer is wearing one right now as well... also Ochocinco's Twitter page says that he will be wearing 4 different helmets including the ION 4D, Revo Speed, Air Advantage, and regular revolution...

4774272.jpg

137047405.jpg

I don't understand Chad's idea that he has to wear different helmets every game. You would think that he would prefer to stick with the consistency of just one model, but that's not his thing. And that Helmet looks weird on Palmer. On the plus side, it appears that the Bengals have fixed their consistency issues when it came to differing widths between stripes on different helmet models. That was a gear grinder of mine that seems to have been corrected for the most part during last season.

Another thing, I hate the logos on the front bumper.

PvO6ZWJ.png

Has anyone tried on one of these things? Its about 1,000 times more comfortable than the original Revo and about 10,000 times more comfortable than the VSR-4.

I've tried one on, very comfortable, but it only seems to fit a certain type of head, A Schutt DNA is suited more for any type. The inside of the Revo Speed is really comfy compared to the Revo IQ, As the overliner is almost like an air cushion made out of fabric instead of those plastic pads. A helmet that I like more is the Xenith X3, I tried one on at the AFCA Convention, very nice.

4774272.jpg

137047405.jpg

I don't understand Chad's idea that he has to wear different helmets every game. You would think that he would prefer to stick with the consistency of just one model, but that's not his thing. And that Helmet looks weird on Palmer. On the plus side, it appears that the Bengals have fixed their consistency issues when it came to differing widths between stripes on different helmet models. That was a gear grinder of mine that seems to have been corrected for the most part during last season.

Another thing, I hate the logos on the front bumper.

According to Chad, he will wear a different helmet with a different glove/cleat combination. Basically he has turned in to his own Oregon (yea I know he's from Oregon State) =)

StadiumSig.gif

To continue with the Revo Speed trend, it looks like Carson Palmer is wearing one right now as well...

4774272.jpg

Carson Plamer was wearing the Revo Speed last night in the Hall of Fame Game. I suppose he is searching for a replacement since I'm pretty sure that Schutt is no longer supporting the Pro Air II which was his favored helmet at USC and up through 2008 with the Bengals.

He tried out an Schutt Air XP in training camp and pre-season in 2008, got smacked on the head in a game resulting in a broken nose. When he came back from that he was using a visor with the Air XP for a week or so, then went back to a Pro Air II with a visor for the few games he played in 2008. Last year he wore an Air Advantage. I've not picked up an Air XP but I have picked up a DNA - that padding in those is pretty hard compared to the softer foam used in a Pro Air II. Even the Air Advantage has harder foam padding than the old Pro Air IIs.

Archived