Brady and Big Ben with the Revoloution

thull

I don't know what it is about these helmets, but I hate them. I much prefer the less-safe but more traditional looking helmets. I love the classic Joe Montana QB facemask with two vertical bars and nothing else.

Matt Schaub is also trying out a new helmet.

2009 Season:

matt-schaub.jpg

2010 Minicamp:

09000d5d8184a591_gallery_600.jpg

I think many players are wearing this now because the standard riddell helmet is no longer being sold.

not sure if it's still being sold to the public but I guarantee you that they will continue to make the helmets for existing nfl players unless they are banned outright

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't know what it is about these helmets, but I hate them. I much prefer the less-safe but more traditional looking helmets. I love the classic Joe Montana QB facemask with two vertical bars and nothing else.

2009 Season:

matt-schaub.jpg

2010 Minicamp:

I think many players are wearing this now because the standard riddell helmet is no longer being sold.

not sure if it's still being sold to the public but I guarantee you that they will continue to make the helmets for existing nfl players unless they are banned outright

It's not sold to the general public,schutt should do the same with there air helmets, as a player i will wear whatever protects me best but, that doesnt mean i wouldnt go out and play with a schutt air. I don't understand why players wear the standard helmet when you get dizzy alot more with the crappy helmets and with a good helmet you can focus on playing.

2009 Season:

matt-schaub.jpg

2010 Minicamp:

It's not sold to the general public,schutt should do the same with there air helmets, as a player i will wear whatever protects me best but, that doesnt mean i wouldnt go out and play with a schutt air. I don't understand why players wear the standard helmet when you get dizzy alot more with the crappy helmets and with a good helmet you can focus on playing.

Schutt has as well - they have the ION 4D, Air XP, and DNA Pro+ adult (i.e. high school, college and pro approved) helmets on their website. Even thought it has the "Air" name the Air XP has nothing to do with their old Air helmets except the approximate size of the shell.

2009 Season:

matt-schaub.jpg

2010 Minicamp:

The VSR-4 is still being sold, just not in the catalog. If you contact them directly they will be more than happy to sell you one... I just bought a navy blue and denver broncos blue one for some custom projects I'm working on... same with the Schutt Air Advantage.

StadiumSig.gif

2009 Season:

matt-schaub.jpg

2010 Minicamp:

The VSR-4 is still being sold, just not in the catalog. If you contact them directly they will be more than happy to sell you one... I just bought a navy blue and denver broncos blue one for some custom projects I'm working on... same with the Schutt Air Advantage.

very interesting...the thing is with pros equipment manufacturers will always keep older/discontinued products available (if the pro is good enough)...with the new helmets even though the manufacturers may be able to document a reduction in concussions my biggest concern is that having too good of equipment makes a player feel more invincible and that repeated every day blows are what really causes the long term damage...time will tell.

not sure if this is still true but I don't think there is conclusive evidence that the revo reduces concussions in a statistically significant manner...also why on earth are riddell's designs so goddam ugly compared to schutt?..safety cannot be 100% the reason for not having facemasks with clean lines and uneven shells.

ironically in my personal opinion/experience... the improvement in equipment and the increase in athleticism (rampant PED's)has allowed football players to turn themselves into projectiles...and much like boxing the long term brain damage comes from repeated moderate blows to the head which modern equipment masks in the short term...back in the old days a player delivering a blow would think twice before delivering a blow because it would equally harm the one delivering the hit as the one receiving.

a really interesting case study is pro rugby...massive guys that are phenomal(sp) athletes that play a full tackle sport...but the key difference is that they can't deliver head first hits (you'll knock yourself out)...and the rules require that you have to extend your arms outward to make a tackle...imagine all the separated shoulders in the nfl if players tried to pull off an airborne tackle and actually had to make an effort to grasp.

if american football outlawed the projectile/forearm shiver/tucked shoulder tackle the game would be infinitely safer and more exciting because it would return the "tackle" back to football...the human missile is not football in my opinion...the "night train lane" clothesline tackle is more football because it actually required a wrap.

last point...it would negate all career "tackles" recorded by deion sanders which is always a good thing. :D

Great post. I love watching old game film, from the leather helmet era (or very early plastic helmet era) because the purity of the game was much greater. Technique was as important as athleticism to a player's overall success. Today it's all about trying to deliver the knockout blow. That's not how the game should be played. There is little doubt in my mind that there are players who intentionally play lazy defense just so they have more opportunities to obliterate the defenseless receivers after the catch is made.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

2009 Season:

matt-schaub.jpg

2010 Minicamp:

very interesting...the thing is with pros equipment manufacturers will always keep older/discontinued products available (if the pro is good enough)...with the new helmets even though the manufacturers may be able to document a reduction in concussions my biggest concern is that having too good of equipment makes a player feel more invincible and that repeated every day blows are what really causes the long term damage...time will tell.

I meant the air advantage.

I actually prefer the Revo speed look to the first Revos, since they made the facemask at least somewhat traditional looking compared to the Manning style, I still find those repulsive. I'll tell you what facemask I reeeeeally miss though, that I don't think anyone besides Byron Leftwich still sports:

dan-marino.jpg

That's actually my least favorite facemask style of all-time. Maybe it's just the players who chose that style, but nothing says "Hi. I'm a 6'6", 240 lbs quarterback with a panzerschreck for a throwing arm. I'm about as mobile as the Statue of Liberty. While I will throw for 400 yards and three touchdowns, I'll throw a pick at the worst possible time and choke away the game." like that facemask.

I'm looking at you Jeff George, Scott Mitchell, Drew Bledsoe, etc.

So, that's obviously not a helmet that any Seahawk could ever wear. Or have they already? What would the vent hole intrusion do to that decal?

No the Seahawks do and they have used the Revo speed. I'm sure there's at least one or two who wore them last year. The decal just completely covers the vent, just like the Broncos decal does as well, in fact you'd be hard pushed to find an NFL decal that doesn't. Even the 9ers oval overlaps it slightly depending on how it's placed and what size the helmet is! And lets be honest the 9ers logo aint the biggest in the league, I thin that prize has got to go to the Texans, with the Bills (ever increasing year on year) a close second.

For the record, Tebow is also sporting the Revo Speed in Denver and you can see it really well in the best of OTA's photo album on NFL.com the Broncos decal is so big you'd never even know the vent was there, which kinda defeats the point of having it really.

9erssteve

9ersstevesig.png

That's good news. Also, forgive me if this is too nitpicky/geeky, but I was disappointed when Brady switched to the old leather chinstrap from the hard plastic version he wore his first couple years in the league. I thought that one looked so much better, and seems like it would be so much safer; I dunno why you'd wanna go from that to a wimpy cloth sling.

old:

tom-brady.jpg

new:

tom-brady-patriots.jpg

• 1 month later...

I actually prefer the Revo speed look to the first Revos, since they made the facemask at least somewhat traditional looking compared to the Manning style, I still find those repulsive. I'll tell you what facemask I reeeeeally miss though, that I don't think anyone besides Byron Leftwich still sports:

dan-marino.jpg

That's actually my least favorite facemask style of all-time. Maybe it's just the players who chose that style, but nothing says "Hi. I'm a 6'6", 240 lbs quarterback with a panzerschreck for a throwing arm. I'm about as mobile as the Statue of Liberty. While I will throw for 400 yards and three touchdowns, I'll throw a pick at the worst possible time and choke away the game." like that facemask.

I'm looking at you Jeff George, Scott Mitchell, Drew Bledsoe, etc.

Maybe that's why I've always liked this facemask. That and my wish (had I been given the skills to be an NFL quarterback) to preserve the various parts of my face.

g_majikowski_195.jpg

p1_aikman.jpg

jim-mc.jpg

nfl_g_montanayoung_300.jpg

Packers-2.png

Archived