Los Angeles Kings

ScotM

this has become a fun debate. let me and my certified intelligence jump in.

First, Scot M did NOT STEAL ANYTHING. The logos are ROYALTY FREE for a reason. They exist for others to use. Plus, he did do...some tweaking? Okay, that might not count. Basically he was posting logos he didn't design.

He definitely did not plagarise obviously.

And, there is nothing wrong with someone using a stock logo in a concept and saying, "Hey. I didnt actually design this, its a free logo, but I made some tweaks here and there, added some elements, and here is a concept for..."

That's fine. That isnt something I would frown upon. A concept doesnt have to be a completely retoiled piece of original artwork. I know. I post concepts on here that are 100% original, and many that are tweaks of existing logos THAT WE ARE USING FOR FREE, EVEN THOUGH THEY ARE TRADEMARKS. Get my drift?

So really he's not doing anything wrong at all. But, the fact everyone is jabbering on and on and turning this into an argument is the real wrong doing here, and that includes the hostile comments by Scot M...as well as others.

That's the thing though - he didn't actually say that he had traced the logos. He passed them off as his own, and it took the prodding of multiple members to get him to admit that they were, in fact, NOT original designs of his own. That's the issue here.

330zl3b.png

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is from the sharks concept.

"Thanks. I really appreciate that. I think I keep coming back here because the motivation to be among the best is what really pushes me to better myself. I'm hard on myself, but sometimes I need that extra push."

What a joke.

That's the thing though - he didn't actually say that he had traced the logos.

I didn't buy the logos, I actually traced them in Illustrator, which should count for something.

I meant before he was called out on not creating them in the first place, sorry. Should have clarified.

330zl3b.png

dude, just get the thread graveyarded and move on. start doing things you didn't steal. and if you ever feel the need to use a stock vector, at least give credit to the original artist

ditto. Chapeeko just opened my eyes to the ridiculousness of the poster. I didnt realize he was saying that stuff!!

It makes no difference whether or not he tried to make money off the logo. He represented the work as his own and that clearly fits the definition of PLAGIARISM

Plagiarism, as defined in the 1995 Random House Compact Unabridged Dictionary, is the "use or close imitation of the language and thoughts of another author and the representation of them as one's own original work.

Do you think a college professor is going to let a student steal someone else's work because they aren't selling it? Of course not! Use your head people. What he did is clearly wrong by any standard.

Even if you are confused by the whole concept of plagiarism don't you consider his deception and totally pompous attitude just a little troubling? I've never seen a group of people defend someone so arrogant and unapologetic.

Actually, I'll gladly defend him and his practices. Why? Because people like him don't understand that in the real world, when you are asked to do some work on the spot, then that's when the truth comes out and fools are truly shown. I got the job I got, not from my portfolio, but because of my sketch book and the fact that I was able to sketch out a couple of concepts on the spot. His problem is that he's lazy and wants to get good and have people "ooh and ahh" over his work overnight. Well people only "ooh and ahh" over your work if you've put years into the skill and work on it. Then again, I've seen some people on these boards who year after year turn out ugly and poor designs.

I highly doubt that he wants to get good. It's obvious that he just wants accolades. His parents have probably coddled him all his life and told him that he is gifted so many times that he feels entitled to unlimited praise from everyone else.

As far as raw talent is concerned I don't see anything special. He puts absolutely no creativity into to his concepts. He stole a bunch of logos, called them his own, and accepted praise. The only thing that could be somewhat be considered creative was combining the crown with lion's head but they were from two different perspectives so it looked really amateur.

At this point it's pretty difficult to imagine this person as a graphic designer. Whatever work that is attached to his name seems pretty suspect in my mind especially now.

Whatever work that is attached to his name seems pretty suspect in my mind especially now.

Seriously. This boy has cried wolf too many times now. I had no idea or any reason to suspect that the shark and wolf logos used in the other threads were ripped off until reading this thread (which I've been following closely). I have no respect for someone who behaves this way or for "their" designs. It's sad to see the credibility and reputation of this site hurt by one selfish person.

17013982017.gifu2jelkdnhfxbda2vmnsggv6hf.gif444.gifyo3wysbjtagzmwj37tb11u0fh.gif

Actually, I'll gladly defend him and his practices. Why? Because people like him don't understand that in the real world, when you are asked to do some work on the spot, then that's when the truth comes out and fools are truly shown. I got the job I got, not from my portfolio, but because of my sketch book and the fact that I was able to sketch out a couple of concepts on the spot. His problem is that he's lazy and wants to get good and have people "ooh and ahh" over his work overnight. Well people only "ooh and ahh" over your work if you've put years into the skill and work on it. Then again, I've seen some people on these boards who year after year turn out ugly and poor designs.

I'm sorry that's one of the bassackward attitudes I think I've ever heard. You'd rather defend someone who cheats and steals than encourage those whose intentions are right but talent is lacking? WTF? You're right some people wont ever achieve the standards of some of the best in here, I'll be honest I include myself in that, but at least they are TRYING, and doing things THE RIGHT WAY, those are the people who's back you should have in all this.

Scroats like Scott DONT NEED defending, you dont need to set them up for a fall, THEY'VE ALREADY DONE IT TO THEMSELVES! They ALWAYS get found out cos they just aren't smart enough or talented enough to hide their thievery. You want to know the funny thing, it WASN'T the lion I found that set alarm bells ringing! When he posted the SECOND ONE, I was convinced I'd seen it somewhere, dont know why but Dutch Bank sprang to mind the second I saw it, that's probably not where I've seen it but it was enough to make me do a quick search but before I could find version two, VERSION ONE POPPED UP! Thus ending any doubts about what he was up to!

You're right he only wanted praise and had no intention of actually producing his own work which is why I said I pitied him and asked him what it feels like to be so jealous of those who are creative or those willing to put in their own work, because the truth is he's probably a pretty sad individual, in every sense of the word, and jealousy can be the only real motive for his actions. I mean seriously how starved for attention do you have to be to steal other peoples work, pass it off as your own so you can get praise from a bunch of people you've NEVER MET? Dont get me wrong I respect the people here and I value their opinions but I'm not about to resort to underhand tricks to try and gain their approval and I dont think any rational person would. It's the definition of pathetic. But it makes no odds, cos I doubt he'll be back here now his games been rumbled he'll have to work now to earn his praise and he's already shown he'd not prepared to do that. I will however pop in on his website now and again to see if he's desperate enough to try the same stunt elsewhere cos we all know if he does his ego wont allow him to not post "his" work to his site.

9erssteve

9ersstevesig.png

I think Oddball just has a funny way saying that buddy will get a rude awakening in the real world. Eventually people will figure things out. I think that might take some time judging by his arrogance and sense of entitlement though. I bet his parents take him to interviews and harass his employers for benefits. They probably even do some of his assignments.

After reading this thread, the other ones make sense.

I thought it was weird that he would post the logo, some minor adjustments and criticisms were given or even some major ones, and in the span of a few hours or a day would completely overhaul the logo with some semi-complex renderings. At first I was amazed that he could overhaul a concept from scratch in such a short time.

But now we all know he merely went to Google, and searched for a new logo to trace.

Good job...

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULBUSMNT | USWNTLAFC | OCSCMAN UTD |

Oddball, I completely see where you're coming from, Scott will get what's coming one day... A heck of a rude awakening...

However, there is absolutely no need for you or anyone else to tarnish their name and rep on a deceptive hack like Scott. Clearly as a talented pro, I would hope you do not use the same tactics as Scott, So why condone his practices?

I'm pretty sure I've seen people banned for less than this (one rip job is bad - but three?...) - Cant remember the name RIPMetrodome or something... and something about mybrotheralex???

canada.png

Archived