AA Hockey Leagues Merge

Gary

In a joint announcement that marks a historic day for minor professional hockey, two of pro hockey’s most storied leagues, the Central Hockey League (CHL) and International Hockey League (IHL)

Hahahahaha!!!

More like, "In a joint announcement that marks a minor change for minor "professional" hockey, two of "pro" hockey's most unheard of leagues, the Central Hockey League (CHL) and the bastardized reincarnation of the "International" Hockey League (IHL)..."

The good news about this story is GFB's gorgeous Quad City Mallards logo lives on!

More like "A" leagues, not "AA" (I've always considered the ECHL to be between the AHL and the I/C/Co/etc). Seems like a reasonable idea, though.

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ BrandedBehance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

More like "A" leagues, not "AA" (I've always considered the ECHL to be between the AHL and the I/C/Co/etc). Seems like a reasonable idea, though.

I was thinking the same thing. NHL clubs have farm teams in the ECHL, so that's the third rung on the ladder. The I/C/Co/etc. are all a step below that and have no NHL affiliation (except Quad City, which claims association with the Flyers).

In a joint announcement that marks a historic day for minor professional hockey, two of pro hockey?s most storied leagues, the Central Hockey League (CHL) and International Hockey League (IHL)

Hahahahaha!!!

More like, "In a joint announcement that marks a minor change for minor "professional" hockey, two of "pro" hockey's most unheard of leagues, the Central Hockey League (CHL) and the bastardized reincarnation of the "International" Hockey League (IHL)..."

The good news about this story is GFB's gorgeous Quad City Mallards logo lives on!

Aww.

Seriously though, both leagues are financially handicapped. This is nothing more than one last cash grab....

Have the CHL teams been made aware that the IHL's folding-in will require Fort Wayne to be guaranteed the championship next year?

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

Have the CHL teams been made aware that the IHL's folding-in will require Fort Wayne to be guaranteed the championship next year?

Or that Fort Wayne "unofficially" has a financial stake in at least half of the new teams?

Is the CHL down with multi-team ownership?

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Would the 2 merged leagues go under CHL-IHL or a new name? Just curious about that and I have to wonder how long this can go on?

Ice Hockey International Winnipeg Braves (Bobby Hull Division 18-3-0 1st place as of March 14, 2011)

2010-11 O'Brien Trophy for Bobby Hull Division championship & Jack Riley Cup for top team in league regular season

Adios, Generals

The Generals are done and Port Huron is likely out as well, so that means four teams are left from that "storied league" called the IHL.

I got a good laugh out of that "two of hockey's most storied leagues" line. I don't care if the current IHL uses the original IHL's stats, records, trophies, name or even logo. This version of the IHL is still the Colonial Hockey League on it's third name.

Bloodhound.gif

felix_thinking_zps5e4863e9.gif?t=1380931

Would the 2 merged leagues go under CHL-IHL or a new name? Just curious about that and I have to wonder how long this can go on?

From the little bit I have read, it seems like they are going under the CHL for the whole league, but will be separating into the CHL and IHL conferences/leagues. The winner of the IHL would receive the Turner Cup and the CHL conference will receive their trophy. The winners of the respective leagues would then play for a new trophy in a Superbowl-esk series.

d/p

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

So will the full name be WPHL and (UHL doing business as the IHL) doing business as the CHL?

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

B-b-but the IHL told me a couple of weeks ago that Flint was a viable two-team market...

Oh, and if the CHL doesn't realign to create balanced "Central" and "International" or whatever conferences, and the Fake Turner Cup is left to be awarded among the 4 lingering UHL teams (maybe 3 - I'm still not sold on Dayton returning next year), that trophy will officially be less significant in the pro hockey landscape than the aluminum foil Stanley Cups fans hand-craft each postseason.

EDIT: This presser says the rejiggered CHL will go with 17 teams. Odessa and Corpus Christi close up shop from the C. At the risk of going all road sign film queue candy in the thread, 2010-11 may look something like this:

Allen

Bossier-Shreveport

Texas

Tulsa

Arizona

Colorado

Laredo

Odessa

Rio Grande Valley

Mississippi

Missouri

Rapid City

Wichita

Fort Wayne

Bloomington

Quad City

Dayton

B-b-but the IHL told me a couple of weeks ago that Flint was a viable two-team market...

Which was another laugher from Fort Way...I mean the "IHL". The Generals struggled to draw flies last year, so how could 2 teams make it in Flint?

I hated how the Colonial/United League simply borrowed the old IHL's stats and trophies and played make-believe that the leagues were one and the same. However, I liked having the IHL around because it kept hockey in Flint and Port Huron, and I've been a big fan of both the Generals and the Border Cats, Flags II and Icehawks. I really don't see the Michigan Warriors making it past a year. There already seems to be a pretty ugly response from the Flint fanbase toward the team. Saginaw Spirit tickets may be even harder to get next season.

Bloodhound.gif

So will the full name be WPHL and (UHL doing business as the IHL) doing business as the CHL?

WPCoUICHL. Yikes, it's going to look like an eye chart. :blink:

Or kind of like the TV channel on the Simpsons episode, Lisa's Wedding:

CNNBCBS, a division of ABC. :D

Bloodhound.gif

Port Huron Icehawks fold

And then there were four.

Guess the only option left for hockey in this area is the Saginaw Spirit. :cry:

...which is sad. perhaps there is a slim chance they could transfer the Generals identity to the Warriors before the season starts?

It will be sad to not see the Generals logo plastered on the side of Perani Arena while driving on I-69. With as much crap that has gone down in Flint this past year...the city needs something to rally around. The Generals were the one thing NOT leaving Flint for greener pastures.

"This isn't just the Oregon Ducks, it's Football's Future Turf Soldier War Hero Steel Robot Tech Flex Machine Army." -CS85

Wow... looks like the fake IHL is going down for good... wow... but I wonder if the Central Hockey League can continue on with more teams than ever?? Should be interesting...

Ice Hockey International Winnipeg Braves (Bobby Hull Division 18-3-0 1st place as of March 14, 2011)

2010-11 O'Brien Trophy for Bobby Hull Division championship & Jack Riley Cup for top team in league regular season

Archived