George Steinbrenner is dead

NJTank

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply
As for George the man...he seems very Bobby Knight like. Competitive, but hot-headed and (certainly for Knight, not sure for George) possibly verbally abusive to those around him. Two guys you walk on eggshells around. But then you hear stories about incredibly generous, charitable things they both do. Both are difficult to label.

I'll easily label Bobby Knight as an asswipe.

β™« oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is goneΒ β™«

I used to "hate" the boss too, but I took a tour of the new Yankee Stadium a few weeks ago and I have to say it was the best sports related moment of my life. All the success that's out on display, much of which he was directly responsible for, and the way the Yankees cater to their fans really impressed me.

Funny you say that. The new Yankee Stadium, with its prohibitively expensive ticket prices, destruction of Macombs Dam Park, and millions and millions in public funding better spent elsewhere in New York, is pretty fan-unfriendly to me.

You realise they are building a new park complete with a ball field over the old Yankee Stadium right. I believe the ball field which will be on the diamond of the old Stadium will be used for schools in New York.

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

As for George the man...he seems very Bobby Knight like. Competitive, but hot-headed and (certainly for Knight, not sure for George) possibly verbally abusive to those around him. Two guys you walk on eggshells around. But then you hear stories about incredibly generous, charitable things they both do. Both are difficult to label.

I'll easily label Bobby Knight as an a sswipe.

Bobby Knight is simply horrible. I've yet to read anything about Steinbrenner that would even on his worst day would put him in the same class as Bobby Knight. I'm not discounting the possibility that there's a lot that I don't know though.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Bobby Knight is simply horrible. I've yet to read anything about Steinbrenner that would even on his worst day would put him in the same class as Bobby Knight. I'm not discounting the possibility that there's a lot that I don't know though.

I have nothing nice to say about Knight, but how many times was he convicted of a felony? Or banned/suspended from his sport for that matter?

On January 16, 2013 at 3:49 PM, NJTank said:

Btw this is old hat for Notre Dame. Knits Rockne made up George Tip's death bed speech.

Β 

I have nothing nice to say about Knight, but how many times was he convicted of a felony? Or banned/suspended from his sport for that matter?

Knight has had more than a couple of suspensions and couldn't go to Puerto Rico for awhile due to outstanding legal issues.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Knight has had more than a couple of suspensions and couldn't go to Puerto Rico for awhile due to outstanding legal issues.

Fair enough, but The Boss was out and out banned from baseball, and has (correct me if I'm wrong) two FELONY convictions on his record. I would say a felony is a bit more than an "outstanding legal issue." The point is, while Bobby Knight is "simply horrible," there are some things that put Big Stein right up there with Knight on the bad guy meter. I'm definitely not defending the mother:censored:er.

On January 16, 2013 at 3:49 PM, NJTank said:

Btw this is old hat for Notre Dame. Knits Rockne made up George Tip's death bed speech.

Β 

There's a "George Steinbrenner High School" around Tampa, which is funny because it's like "Tom Landry Middle School" from King of the Hill but in real life. It must be interesting to go to a high school named after a convicted felon. I wonder how many there are.

β™« oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is goneΒ β™«

• 3 months later...

RIP Panhead.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Also on life support, the 2010 Yankees season.

Ill wait until the Rangers are three outs away from the World Series before saying that.

On a related note I once was in the same Subway Car with Freddy Says on the way to a Yankee game.

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

Archived