Does the Team You Root for affect your health?

cameroncrazie07

EDIT: I'm just sick of hearing about the goddam Clippers in every post. There is no Clipper Nation. There may be a Clipper Neighborhood, but no Clipper Nation.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If anything, being an Anaheim Ducks fan and living 8 time zones in front of them has affected my body clock.

Of course, I don't watch every single game they play, especially because most of their home games (and to an extent, some of their road games) start at 3am GMT. I only ever watch games that start earlier, with 1am being the latest that I'll start. I've been lucky in the past few years that there have been some starting as early as 8 or 9pm.

It's the same for me being a New Orleans Hornets fan in England. And I wouldn't say that following that team has affected my physical health, it's probably affected my mental health

on more than one occasion.

Also, my love of sports had a very detrimental effect on my last relationship. It was one of the contributing factors of the breakup...

If anything, being an Anaheim Ducks fan and living 8 time zones in front of them has affected my body clock.

Of course, I don't watch every single game they play, especially because most of their home games (and to an extent, some of their road games) start at 3am GMT. I only ever watch games that start earlier, with 1am being the latest that I'll start. I've been lucky in the past few years that there have been some starting as early as 8 or 9pm.

It's the same for me being a New Orleans Hornets fan in England. And I wouldn't say that following that team has affected my physical health, it's probably affected my mental health

Also, my love of sports had a very detrimental effect on my last relationship. It was one of the contributing factors of the breakup...

I don't mean this disrespectfully, but have you sought out counseling or at least considered it? Unless the woman just didn't want to let you have anything that was "yours" (a few hours alone to watch a game or hang out with the guys, etc.) then there's no reason why love of a game (or the people who play it) is worth losing a good relationship over.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

EDIT: I'm just sick of hearing about the goddam Clippers in every post. There is no Clipper Nation. There may be a Clipper Neighborhood, but no Clipper Nation.

I tend to picture it as some third world shantytown.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Not that I know of... It's just a game. My life is not going to end just because the Mariners lost or the Seahawks lost. You just got to brush it off and just live your life the way you've done it for years.

Although, I think constant losing tends affect one's psyche. I'm sure that even though most people here are in perfect mental shape, being a fan of a bad team (or a really bad team) must effect the person psyche. Heck, even a city's psyche can be affected by being surrounded by losing teams.

Clipper Living Room maybe.

I always envisioned it as a highway rest stop. Guess I was thinking too big...

65caba33-7cfc-417f-ac8e-5eb8cdd12dc9_zps

Clipper Living Room maybe.

More like Clipper Bedroom... with their Super Fan spooning with Donald Sterling. :)

I swear more at a sporting event than I do watching a game on TV....does that count? :D

I'm actually the opposite. I'm more cognizant of children of others when I'm at a game, but my own children have heard it and go through it everytime the Caps play, they just ignore me.

duscarf2013.pngg6uheq4mgvrndguzuzak1pcte.gif
"I don't understand where you got this idea so deeply ingrained in your head (that this world) is something that you must impress, cause I couldn't care less"

http://keepdcunited.org

I swear more at a sporting event than I do watching a game on TV....does that count? :D

I'm actually the opposite. I'm more cognizant of children of others when I'm at a game, but my own children have heard it and go through it everytime the Caps play, they just ignore me.

So, you watch your mouth around others' kids, but not your own?! :wacko:

I can teach my kids the meaning of the words and that they shouldn't be said, I can't account for other parents.

duscarf2013.pngg6uheq4mgvrndguzuzak1pcte.gif
"I don't understand where you got this idea so deeply ingrained in your head (that this world) is something that you must impress, cause I couldn't care less"

http://keepdcunited.org

I can teach my kids the meaning of the words and that they shouldn't be said, I can't account for other parents.

"Do as I say, not as I do", huh? Aren't parents supposed to set an example, walk the walk?

"Do as I say, not as I do", huh? Aren't parents supposed to set an example, walk the walk?

We tried that logic in the "mom goes on strike thread".

Belts.jpg
PotD May 11th, 2011
looooooogodud: June 7th 2010 - July 5th 2012

Are there really people who take sports this seriously? I watch a lot of sports and I enjoy it a great deal. I go to games and races, I listen to sports radio etc. So I guess I fall into the category of hardcore sports fan or whatever you want to call it. It's not like I just have a passing interest in sports. I'm really into it. So seeing stuff like "sports affects my mental health, relationships...etc." just blows my mind. How can anyone get that involved in something that is so irrelevant to "real life." It's like getting emotionally involved in a reality TV show. Even more troubling to me is the fact that some people wear their obsession with their team as a badge of honor. I really enjoy being a fan but I have no real emotion invested in any of it. It's fun and entertaining but that's it.

The only team I would consider myself a "serious fan" of is Ohio State football. When I watch the Buckeyes it's goes like this; I enjoy the experience more if they win than I do when they lose. Once the game is over I move on to other things. Sometimes it's another college football game sometimes it's something else. At no point do the Buckeyes or any of the other sports I watch ever affect my every day life in a negative way. I simply can't imagine what it must feel like for those who take it so seriously. My guess is it feels pretty silly.

BB52Big.jpg

We tried that logic in the "mom goes on strike thread".

I lost interest in that thread pretty quickly, so who is "we"? And what are you saying, it got shot down, or that parents can't be bothered to parent that way? It doesn't matter, you're supposed to show your kids the way, not tell them. We all know how much kids respond to, and respect "do as I say, not as I do", right?

Archived