Astros go dome era mini-rainbows

mmejia

As much as I like the Astros current colors, I think they would look great in a navy and orange set right now. The Tigers don't use their orange much, and I think the Astros could really make it look nice. Yellow could be used as an accent color, but I don't think it is needed. I love how clean and simple the Astors wordmark and star look on the front of that jersey. A modernized version of this could look awesome.

I am too young to remember these, but my dad has a game used Tucson Toros jersey from the late 80s which is the same style, and instead of a star under the wordmark, there is a bull head. That was always my favorite jersey that he had, and I really like this look.

ua_logo.jpg

I thought you were talking about the cult-classic Tucson Toros uniforms that are occasionally mentioned around these parts.

toros.jpg

I think we can all pretty much agree that these are some of the worst uniforms in any sport at any level at any one time.

PvO6ZWJ.png

I thought you were talking about the cult-classic Tucson Toros uniforms that are occasionally mentioned around these parts.

toros.jpg

I think we can all pretty much agree that these are some of the worst uniforms in any sport at any level at any one time.

Reminds me of the Vancouver Canucks.

toros.jpg

Imagine if Medalist/Sand Knit had made the Astros wear that diagonal sash design instead of the UltraStripe.

The Astros quit wearing the rainbow guts after the 1986 season -- last time was the famous (or infamous for Astros fans like me) Game 6 of the NLCS that year. In 1987 and '88 at home, they wore the white rainbow sleeve pullovers they previously wore for Sunday home games. On the road, they continued to wear the cream-colored rainbow sleeve pullovers that they debuted in 1980 (though the original rainbow sleeve roadie may have have more of a gray tint.

Young_Gerald_03.jpg (circa 1987 or 88)

They switched to button-front rainbow sleeves from 1989-93 (they wore a cream version on the road), and adopted belted pants during that time frame, too.

Yelding_Eric_01.jpg (post-1988)

Where they screwed up on the throwbacks was wearing the current-day black shoes and the current-day batting helmets. With the exception of 1975, the Astros wore white shoes throughout the rainbow-gut/rainbow-sleeve era. They switched to black shoes in '94 when they went to blue and gold. And, of course, the fact that half the players had the stirrups on backward, which is fitting given the incompetence of the Astros players on the field these days.

And as much as I like the Astros' throwbacks, I'm to the point where I don't want to see them any more, at least not under the current marketing department/ownership. Every time the Astros do throwbacks these days (especially if they do it at home), they seem to half-ass it, probably because of the cost involved of doing it right. They blew the shooting-star throwbacks in April by wearing their regular helmets.

toros.jpg

Worst in any sport? Hell, these are the worst uniforms in the history of clothing. Or perhaps the worst look in the history of light.

Packers-2.png

toros.jpg

Worst in any sport? Hell, these are the worst uniforms in the history of clothing. Or perhaps the worst look in the history of light.

I may be hallucinating this, because anything regarding this uniform sounds like it could be legit. But I seem to recall during a previous discussion of this Toros uni that the full back of the jersey was done in the same bright blue as the script on the front because, well, why not.

Frankly, someone could tell me that the pants on these uniforms had the asses cut out, and I probably wouldn't question it.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

Archived