Astros go dome era mini-rainbows

mmejia

Oswalt's probable last hoorah for the Astros went about as bad as you could hope for, but the uniforms were fun to watch for the night. I'm 32, so I only remember the full rainbow set through photos, but this mini-rainbow set takes me to childhood immediately.

Reds_Astros_Baseball.sff_183976_team.jpg

Reds_Astros_Baseball.sff_183977_team.jpg

103073820.jpg?v=1&c=NewsMaker&k=2&d=77BFBA49EF87892102A727B1636DE2E61D90A56600BB7193B537F57BBC78D5D6691FCA150AC751CD

103073819.jpg?v=1&c=NewsMaker&k=2&d=77BFBA49EF87892102A727B1636DE2E6C54C0AE1DA9D013CB537F57BBC78D5D620B66A6BFBFC047A

Oswalt's probable last hoorah for the Astros went about as bad as you could hope for, but the uniforms were fun to watch for the night. I'm 32, so I only remember the full rainbow set through photos, but this mini-rainbow set takes me to childhood immediately.

Um, what? They wore the full rainbows through '86, so you would have been 8 the last season the wore them (I'm 35, so I would have been 11, and I've got quite a vivid memory of them - heck, one of the area Little League teams had a version and I remember being jealous). You not pay attention to MLB until you were 9 or something?

Um, what? They wore the full rainbows through '86, so you would have been 8 the last season the wore them (I'm 35, so I would have been 11, and I've got quite a vivid memory of them - heck, one of the area Little League teams had a version and I remember being jealous). You not pay attention to MLB until you were 9 or something?

I'm pretty sure the Astros had rainbows on thier uniforms until much later. The pullovers were ceased around '86, but they had button ups after that. I could be wrong but I thought the design itself was around later.

Edit: I misread your reply, my bad. I understand what you mean now, just forget what I said haha :P

Jazzretirednumbers.jpg

The opinions I express are mine, and mine only. If I am to express them, it is not to say you or anyone else is wrong, and certainly not to say that I am right.

I used to thinks that this was the Astros only uniform from 87-93 but I do like it.

Im guessing next month the Astros will wear the 94-99 uni.

I thought the same thing, until I realized that the dull dome lights just made the home look cream like the road.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

I used to thinks that this was the Astros only uniform from 87-93 but I do like it.

I thought the same thing, until I realized that the dull dome lights just made the home look cream like the road.

I guess that made sense I thought they just retired the rainbow uni and just used the road uniform.

BTW

I think the Astros should go back to the blue and orange and maybe bring back the H as an alt.

I guess that made sense I thought they just retired the rainbow uni and just used the road uniform.

BTW

I think the Astros should go back to the blue and orange and maybe bring back the H as an alt.

Reds_Astros_Baseball.sff_183976_team.jpg

Reds_Astros_Baseball.sff_183977_team.jpg

103073820.jpg?v=1&c=NewsMaker&k=2&d=77BFBA49EF87892102A727B1636DE2E61D90A56600BB7193B537F57BBC78D5D6691FCA150AC751CD

103073819.jpg?v=1&c=NewsMaker&k=2&d=77BFBA49EF87892102A727B1636DE2E6C54C0AE1DA9D013CB537F57BBC78D5D620B66A6BFBFC047A

Fail with no white shoes. And if you're going to go rainbow guts, go all the way (i.e. '75-86).

Packers-2.png

Lance Berkman is the closest I've seen a player in getting his pants correct in a throwback from that era. Usually the players get their usual sized pants (ie baggy) and they pull them up because throwback = pulled up pants to today's players. Lance actually had his pants sized fairly accurately.

PvO6ZWJ.png

Lance Berkman is the closest I've seen a player in getting his pants correct in a throwback from that era. Usually the players get their usual sized pants (ie baggy) and they pull them up because throwback = pulled up pants to today's players. Lance actually had his pants sized fairly accurately.

Wouldn't throwback pants from that era actually be tighter than pants from today's era? Players weren't really wearing them over the calf back then - more like half way down, but skin tight.

Scott_Mike_11.jpg08F.jpg

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Wouldn't throwback pants from that era actually be tighter than pants from today's era? Players weren't really wearing them over the calf back then - more like half way down, but skin tight.

Scott_Mike_11.jpg08F.jpg

Yeah I know, we're on the same page here. That's what I was trying to say. The players from today try to replicate the look of the pants from back then, but they never get it quite right. The stirrups are too short, the pants are too baggy, and they pull them up too high. Lance Berkman almost had it.

PvO6ZWJ.png

Please... if you want to honor the Rainbow Guts look, you gotta do it full-bore.

astros.jpg

No other Astros uniform measures up to that classic.

...And the Astros do "honor" this set about twice a season. The players are not fans of the set from what I've heard, so they limit the number of times they wear it. As I mentioned earlier, this "mini-rainbow" set really hits home to me. I vaguely remember the full rainbows, but probably went to about 10 games a year while they wore these uni's. By the time they went to blue/gold set, I was a junior in high school and off to college shortly after and rarely came back home for games. To me - this set was the Astros and I'm thrilled they wear them a few times a year. You gotta remember, this isn't "half-assing" the rainbow uni's as this actual uniform was worn for about 9 seasons.

I agree with what someone said earlier about wanting to see the white shoes, but I doubt the guys would trade their broken in cleats for new ones to match a look for one game. They probably could have replaced the helmet decals, though, considering the helmets are pretty much the same color.

600xPopupGallery.jpgDavis_Glenn_08.jpg

My favorite set of Astros unis, 2nd is the mid-90s blue and gold.

Dr. Kelso: My son is a big baseball fan. Not so much playing it, but more the designing and sewing of uniforms.

Tyler: That's neat.

Dr. Kelso: No, it's not.

Archived