Georgia Force New Logo

Gary

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What the hell kind of font puts a serif on the o's?!

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

I just woke up, and am still fairly dazed. I thought I saw a logo that was so abysmally awful, such a cheapish ugly abomination that I must have blacked out.

Here, let me check page 1 of this thre-

*thump*

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

Yeah I'm having a hard time taking this new AFL seriously. Does anybody know how many of the owners from the "old" AFL are involved with the new one?

I once had a car but I crashed it. I once had a guitar but I smashed it. I once, wait where am I going with this?

Yeah I'm having a hard time taking this new AFL seriously. Does anybody know how many of the owners from the "old" AFL are involved with the new one?

None of the old owners from the AFL are back in this reincarnation. This was done as a fail safe measure to prevent what caused the death of the original AFL, which I believe it was the old owners trying to make it too much like an indoor version of the NFL (Correct me if I'm wrong, though).

As for the logo... Wow. It sucks on all levels. Glad to see the color scheme back, but did they really have to use this abomination of a logo?

None of the old owners from the AFL are back in this reincarnation. This was done as a fail safe measure to prevent what caused the death of the original AFL, which I believe it was the old owners trying to make it too much like an indoor version of the NFL (Correct me if I'm wrong, though).

As for the logo... Wow. It sucks on all levels. Glad to see the color scheme back, but did they really have to use this abomination of a logo?

For the 2010 season there was one AFL owner still involved from 2008 (Brett Bouchy). Woody Kern, the Dallas owner was also the former owner of the Tampa Bay Storm (he sold in 2007). In 2011 there will be three more "old" AFL owners back, Craig Spencer (Philadelphia), Chris Likens (Kansas City) and John Fry (San Jose).

The Cowboys don't own the whole Desperados logo, they only own the star behind the Desperado head. The AFL can use the Desperado head without the star.

The old AFL's biggest problem was that it had a business plan most similar to the old DuQuesne Plan of the People's Republic of Haven. With similar results when expansion stopped.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

A couple of things. First of all, the first logo was nothing to write home about and get excited about. It's about a "C" on the grading scale. Secondly, I use to be one of those people who use to complain about, "How could they do this? How could anyone say that it is good? What were they thinking." Let me give you some insight into real design. As a professional designer, you just don't design what you want to. You design #1, what the client wants and you might give a suggestion or two, but that's about it. Also sometimes it isn't the client that's giving you bad art direction but someone above you who you have to listen to. I've done plenty of things and I do mean plenty of things that I just internally shake my head at and that is public, but it's what a higher up wanted or the client. If you want to do what you want, you're going to be an artist and be unemployed and working at McDonald's. If you want to be a graphic designer, you're going to do some pretty crappy work, not because you want to, but because you have to so that you still have a job. If you don't understand that professional design isn't about the designer, but a group of people, most especially the client that needs to be satisfied and when you get a group of people then you have the potential to get some pretty crappy designs. No graphic designer wants to do crappy work, but sometimes you just do it because it pays the bills. I'd rather do crappy work and pay the bills, then do good work and be unemployed. How do I balance the crappy work? Simple, a lot of times I get home and work on my own little projects just to make me happy.

I make assumptions about people who read and post on this board and I'm sure that some of them are way off base. But the impression that I get is that there is a contingent of students and other aspiring designers as well as a mix of professionals. I hope that oddballs post doesn't send the former off to the bell tower with a high powered rifle or the latter back to grad school for their MBA.

I'm sorry you feel the way you do OB, but my experience doesn't make bad clients and bad work a foregone conclusion. I give you Studio Simon as example. Minor league baseball is a difficult environment to operate in and they consistently create brilliant marks that clients, fans and other designers love. I'm sure that isn't because of the forward thinking, fashionable and profoundly savvy clients they attract, but more likely due to Dan's ability to manage his studios projects and his clients expectations.

Being a designer is about creative problem solving and sometimes the problems are easily solved and other times they are not. Back to Studio Simon. If I had a client ask me to create an identity based upon a regional type of onion, I'd promptly hit the eject button. By all accounts that's an equation for disaster and something that on the surface looks like a perfect opportunity for a less than optimal solution. But Dan managed to take that awful direction and turn it into not only something good, but something great.

I don't think you can hang the shortcomings of the Georgia Force's new logo on the client, that's just not fair to the client. The designer ultimately chooses what they show to the client and just because they were give onions, doesn't automatically mean that the final product will stink (or make your cry).

Agree 100% Joe. A good designer can take lemons and make lemonade. I would agree that this one probably wasn't on the client but rather what the designer presented to them.

I think you can also add the point that "you get what you pay for." I'd be willing to bet that this logo was designed for little to no money. Many times, in lieu of hiring a professional design firm a company will opt for their friend's nephew or the woman next door who has dabbled in Photoshop, just to save a few bucks. Just like any other kind of work, it comes down to whether you want to spend the money to do it right or not. Unfortunately when the latter happens, you get work like you see above.

Major upgrade.

You might wanna take a second look at the logo once you've sobered up.

How soon til the CCSLC opens up a 'Hall Of Shame' for logos like this? I'd say this one is a possible first-ballot!

6uXNWAo.png

Archived