Next Move Or Expansion

ltjets21

I still feel that of all the likely spots to get an MLB team, somehow Sacramento is going to find a way to pull it off. Not so much because it's the most prime location available, but because it's easily the most feasible. Portland, Las Vegas, Charlotte, San Antonio, and even Vancouver are probably better spots for a pro baseball club. But considering how easy the move would be and that the Giants have a stranglehold over the San Jose market, The A's to Sacramento could be a quick and relatively inexpensive move.

Problem Sac has is that they can't even get an arena built for their current team. And can't support their current team with only 14k a game going to the Kings currently. There's no way they'd be able to support an MLB team as well as other options.

For what it's worth, the RiverCats' stadium in Sacto is expandable to MLB-size and quality and they draw pretty well IIRC. I think they'll lose the Kings but gain the Athletics. Just a hunch though.

Actually that's a common misconception. Raley Field is in fact NOT expandable to MLB size. The original plan did call for it to be expandable but due to a strike during construction they had to modify the design and now it is not capable of supporting an MLB sized stadium on the current supports and foundation. Nor would you want to anyway. The area around Raley would need MAJOR modification itself to support crowds bigger than it gets now particularly when it comes to access, not to mention the field design would never pass muster as an MLB field. The stands are far too close to the field. If Sac is ever going to get an MLB team it would be in a completely new stadium from the ground up. Which means Sac would need to come up with $500+ million and a site in addition to the money they can't seem to raise for the Kings arena.

• Replies 578
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Another word: support. The Grizzlies couldn't survive there and they required less than 20k a night for 41 nights a season. You think some baseball team in hockey country is gonna all of a sudden draw 30k+ a night, 81 nights a season? No. Portland is still at the top despite the MiLB stadium issues (they'd have a better shot with an MLB stadium, not saying they'd get one, cuz ultimately that's what's desired there the most).

And yes, all those other locations, as crazy and unlikely as they are, are still thought of as being ahead of Vancouver. Some more I forgot; Sacramento, New Orleans, Salt Lake City. Again, cities that don't really have a shot, but are more likely to have one before Vancouver. Even now-poor Vegas too.

The optimistic part of me sees this happening eventually. Eventually, meaning quite a few years down the road. Give it some time and let SLC grow a little more, and you've got a market that will work.

Fan support isn't/shouldn't be a problem, as the Jazz are well supported year in and year out, as is RSL. Baseball is also ALOT bigger in Utah than people give it credit for, and I can say that truthfully having played in high school. People flock to high school games, as well as to games of the minor league cities like Salt Lake, Ogden, and Orem. Utahns love thier sports, so I don't foresee any support problems whatsoever. I just think time is all that's needed, as SLC is still growing. Give it 7-10 years (perhaps a little more) and you've got a ready market in my mind.

I will throw this in there, if Salt Lake DOES eventually get a team, they have to be named the Bees. There is too much history with that name in the minor leagues to pass it up.

I would say that that's the case if, say, the Rays move to Salt Lake (no history, mismatched name to the state), but what if the A's moved here? I could see them keeping the Athletics name, as it has been around since 1901 and could work anywhere, while the earliest Bees moniker dates to 1915. However, the irony with a team named the "A's" becoming a team named the "Bees" is hilarious.

Without delving into reel-line-mint too much, if Salt Lake gets a Major League Baseball team, then it would likely be in the AL West, but if an NFL team ever decides to call Salt Lake home, then it would likely be an NFC West team. As for the NHL, if a team came to Salt Lake, it would likely be in the Northwest or possibly Pacific Division.

So much for Canada not spending public monies on sports arenas.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

So much for Canada not spending public monies on sports arenas.

Nice to see that the province will shell out more money than the city and the city is still looking for the balance of their share. So is Quebecor, Inc. going to put in the remaining money to operate the facility (and potential team) or will the Feds enact a gas tax?

OK, now that I've actually read the article...

Regina wants to build a RidersDome? WTF?!

You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

NFL

MLB

Arizona Diamondbacks move to Portland

Why would the Diamondbacks move from their relatively new ballpark in a bigger city to a smaller city with no ballpark and no political capital to get one built?

Possibly to rifle me.

quagmire_giggity_giggity_goo_RE_Sweet_Victory_DBGT-s433x481-38244-580.jpg

Spurs2017_HomeSignature.png.d781df3b4d5c0e482d74d6a47c072475.pngDortmund2017_HomeSignature.png.277fd43b7b71e5d54e4c655f30c9a1e6.png

Bottom line? If AEG gets Farmers built, Roski's City of Industry plan is dead-in-the-water. Done Kaput. Finis.

That is absolutely true. But Roski's stadium is much closer to completion, AEG's naming rights deal notwithstanding. There's no guarantee that AEG gets the environmental waivers, and if they don't the new NFL team will be playing in Industry.

How do you figure Roski's is closer to completion? The Environmental Review for the Downtown stadium will be finished sooner or later, that's all that is at issue. But either way it will be rubber stamped in the end. Roski on the other hand doesn't have the funding for his stadium in place while AEG for the most part is very close to having it done. Roski's stadium has about as much likelihood of getting built at this point as the "Statue of Responsibility" does.

Roski's stadium is ready to be built. All he's waiting for is a team to commit to moving into the stadium. For example, if the Jaguars committed to moving to the stadium in LA tonight, they'd start building tomorrow. And, I'm not even kidding.

Cowboys - Lakers - LAFC - USMNT - LA Rams - LA Kings - NUFC 

NBA.

Kings - Anahiem

Clippers - Las Vegas

MLB.

Expansion - Charlotte

Expansion - Vancouver

First off, the Clippers are profitable in the #2 media market in the country and have a favorable lease at Staples. I don't know why people always think they're going to move - other than the franchise's poor history and reputation, which is not a valid reason to relocate - because there is no way that Sterling is going to move the Clippers anytime soon.

Second of all, the Kings in Anaheim? LA has two teams. A third team in a nearby city/suburb/whatever would be a complete disaster.

Thirdly, Vancouver? In the MLB? Keep dreaming.

I think you underestimate the likelihood of the Kings going to Anaheim. Remember that the Honda Center is over 30 miles from the Staples Center and in terms of time both arenas are more than 2 hours apart during most game times. The Orange County market particularly south of Anaheim (including San Diego) is actually very under served by the NBA. A team in Anaheim could end up being very successful if just because fans in the OC could actually get to games now.

I actually always thought that the Clippers should have moved to Anaheim. They'd have their own arena, a separate fanbase. Plus, the OC would support the hell out of them.

Cowboys - Lakers - LAFC - USMNT - LA Rams - LA Kings - NUFC 

Bottom line? If AEG gets Farmers built, Roski's City of Industry plan is dead-in-the-water. Done Kaput. Finis.

That is absolutely true. But Roski's stadium is much closer to completion, AEG's naming rights deal notwithstanding. There's no guarantee that AEG gets the environmental waivers, and if they don't the new NFL team will be playing in Industry.

How do you figure Roski's is closer to completion? The Environmental Review for the Downtown stadium will be finished sooner or later, that's all that is at issue. But either way it will be rubber stamped in the end. Roski on the other hand doesn't have the funding for his stadium in place while AEG for the most part is very close to having it done. Roski's stadium has about as much likelihood of getting built at this point as the "Statue of Responsibility" does.

Roski's stadium is ready to be built. All he's waiting for is a team to commit to moving into the stadium. For example, if the Jaguars committed to moving to the stadium in LA tonight, they'd start building tomorrow. And, I'm not even kidding.

Really? He has contractors on hold at a minute's notice?

NBA.

Kings - Anahiem

Clippers - Las Vegas

MLB.

Expansion - Charlotte

Expansion - Vancouver

First off, the Clippers are profitable in the #2 media market in the country and have a favorable lease at Staples. I don't know why people always think they're going to move - other than the franchise's poor history and reputation, which is not a valid reason to relocate - because there is no way that Sterling is going to move the Clippers anytime soon.

Second of all, the Kings in Anaheim? LA has two teams. A third team in a nearby city/suburb/whatever would be a complete disaster.

I think you underestimate the likelihood of the Kings going to Anaheim. Remember that the Honda Center is over 30 miles from the Staples Center and in terms of time both arenas are more than 2 hours apart during most game times. The Orange County market particularly south of Anaheim (including San Diego) is actually very under served by the NBA. A team in Anaheim could end up being very successful if just because fans in the OC could actually get to games now.

I actually always thought that the Clippers should have moved to Anaheim. They'd have their own arena, a separate fanbase. Plus, the OC would support the hell out of them.

Or they could bank ridiculous coin at the Staples Center.

Today, we are all otaku.

NBA.

Kings - Anahiem

Clippers - Las Vegas

MLB.

Expansion - Charlotte

Expansion - Vancouver

I agree. I always thought the Clippers made a mistake not taking advantage of the OC the way the Angels do... but they obviously have a good reason. They make bank with their sweetheart deal at Staples. Plus their owner treats them like his private plaything which is why he keeps them close to him and his buddies in Malibu. So his loss is someone else's gain.

Roski's stadium is ready to be built.

No, actually it isn't.

All he's waiting for is a team to commit to moving into the stadium.

In point of fact, construction of Mr. Roski's proposed City of Industry stadium project is waiting on more than that. Namely, design drawings.

For example, if the Jaguars committed to moving to the stadium in LA tonight, they'd start building tomorrow.

No, they wouldn't. They might start grading the site, but nuts-and-bolts construction work on the stadium itself can't begin without the aforementioned design drawings.

While schematics exist for Roski's stadium, there are no completed design drawings. Without design drawings prepared by an architectural firm there's no way to put the project out to bid. At best, Roski is a minimum of nine months to a year away from being able to start construction of the facility itself... and that's if he can get an architectural firm - or firms - to expedite the process by dedicating a team of dozens of architects to the task of generating the design drawings.

True, but that doesn't change the fact that he's cleared some pretty major hurdles. At this point, we're just talking about details. And Roski is far enough along that he could park his team in the Coliseum or Rose Bowl for a couple seasons while they finish the Industry stadium.

True, but that doesn't change the fact that he's cleared some pretty major hurdles. At this point, we're just talking about details. And Roski is far enough along that he could park his team in the Coliseum or Rose Bowl for a couple seasons while they finish the Industry stadium.

Not from what I've been hearing. Roski supposedly is having some cash flow problems on his project.

Archived