Pro Combat Info Leaked (08/31/10)

jthubble

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

lineup_high_res.jpg

3 things I love about this year's set:

1. Florida has TV #'s, meaning not every jersey is limited to either sleeve #'s or no #'s at all. TV #'s allow maximum use of available space on the jersey, something I like seeing personally.

2. Oregon State's pant stripes go all the way down the pant leg. I hate how some of the pant stripes curve around the back of the knees. It's not aesthetically pleasing to me.

3. The flywire on the shoulders doesn't ruin the aesthetic of this year's set of uniforms.

Those 3 things alone make this set of unis better than last year's set.

If you hadn't noticed, Chawls loves his wrestling, whether it be real life or sim. :D

when I heard that they were doing this again, I thought it was overkill and was going to suck. I saw the pic above and thought they were gonna suck. i went to Nike.com and those uniforms are awesome! They did a great job this year. I could do without the Gators (and TCU isn't great either) but otherwise these are awesome. A lot more thought out than last year. I'm still ticked that Missouri didn't get to do it again this year....I got last years jersey as a gift

I have to give it to Nike. Each uniform has a theme and sticks to it well... with good and bad design elements.

I will always commend teams for trying new things out, and the Pro Combat series is the perfect chance to do that, as well as sell more crap.

The Good:

Oregon State - Really slick. Love the number font & undershirt striping.

The Ohio State - LOVE the number font.

Virginia Tech - LOVE the "Motherboard" pattern from Maroon to Orange. The all-black works as a one-off.

West Virginia - LOVE the "Smudged Black" pattern. Wished that they used at least a little bit of Navy Blue though.

The Bad:

Alabama - The same (beautiful) jersey with a lame sublimented pattern. The weakest theme of the group.

Pitt - I love the theme, but the execution misses the target. I do love the helmet though.

The U - The Orange pants ruin this set for me. Would have been better Green or White.

TCU - The red accent in the helmet clashes with the purple accents throughout the rest of the uniform.

Florida - A bit on the Gator-print overkill. What's up with the sleeves, and why did they remove the helmet stripe?

The Ugly:

Boise State - The silly grey jersey, not the oversized helmet logo, completely kills it. Nike should have learned from the past that asymmetrical uniform designs suck.

ccslcbanner_zps5eda8538.jpg

Thanks for the great link.

I really hope the Oregon State jersey sparks a trend in both college and pro. I know it's been talked about before on here, but it's awesome to actually see traditional striping used on the undershirt.

Agreed, or as we sometimes like to say here, +1.

If you hadn't noticed, Chawls loves his wrestling, whether it be real life or sim. :D

TCU: Not much different from last year really. Still don't like the red striping on the helmet. I know it's to represent how horned frogs shoot blood out of their eyes, but I don't care. It clashes too much with everything else. If they removed that I'd absolutely adore those uniforms, but they still look pretty good as is.

Alabama: Basically the same as the regular uniforms but with the sublimated pattern. I like it on the helmet stripe, but I don't like the way it looks on the numbers.

Miami: Not nearly as good as last year's pro combat set. The green helmet doesn't look very good, the green numbers on orange jersey looks pretty awful, and throw in some orange pants for a monochromatic nightmare. I was pleasantly surprised by the sublimated palm tree pattern though. That came out far better than I ever would have expected.

West Virginia: Black and navy don't go well together. But the smudge pattern actually looks really cool. I was expecting that aspect to be horrendous but I really liked it and I like what it represents as well.

Boise State: What a terrible awful monstrosity. Silver isn't a Boise State color, it's a random color that Nike just loves adding for some reason (see: Oregon). Plus, silver jerseys never look good. I was fully expecting the helmet to look top-notch, but instead they re-colored it so that it's most blue and white with an orange eye instead of just blue and orange. And then they made it as giant as possible to up the tackiness levels. Also asymmetrical sleeves.

Oregon State: It's okay. I like the simplicity and I like the sleeve stripes on the undershirt. Very cool. The orange numbers without any outlines are also pretty cool

Ohio State: Love it! The color combo is great. Other than Georgia nobody comes to mind who wears a red helmet, red jersey, and silver pants. And I love the number font

Pittsburgh: Just too much going on. A new Pitt logo, new number font, striping, etc. Just too wacky for me.

Florida: Overkill on the gator skin pattern. Would have preferred something like putting the pattern in the helmet stripes (which they removed).

Virginia Tech: The boring, cliche all-black that every team who doesn't wear black has to have+The insanity of computer chip numbers and striping. Definitely not a fan, but looking forward to ten years down the line when we can all look back at how crazy those uniforms were and wonder what the designer was on.

Also, I hope VT and Boise aren't playing each other in those uniforms. That's going to be an aesthetic nightmare played between two teams wearing colors that aren't their own.

I really hope the Oregon State jersey sparks a trend in both college and pro. I know it's been talked about before on here, but it's awesome to actually see traditional striping used on the undershirt.

I agree. It seems like the most practical solution to incorporating sleeve stripes into modern uniform cuts. Nike should do the world another service and tackle the LSU/Indianapolis Colts/Ole Miss shoulder stripe issue next.

I'm generally in line with the rest of the comments on here about the Pro Combat uniforms. OSU's simplicity is gorgeous, I love the large helmet logo for Boise State, etc.

While Pitt's uniforms look fine, what was the point of creating a new wordmark just for the Pro Combat set? That's what they did, right? Because I've never seen that helmet wordmark before.

Pitt - Looks brilliant. I love everything on it.

Boise State - Despite some hate for it, I love it. I love the logos switching back and forth from the sides of the uniform. Love the bronco on the sleeve. Love the big bronco on the helmet. I'll hold my judging on the silvery gray until I see it in a natural light, but I can kind of dig it.

Miami - Too much orange. Not enough palm frond for it to really stick out. Just nothing special about it. Needed some white in it, otherwise looks like Florida A&M.

Virginia Tech - On the whole not too bad. The motherboard numbers are interesting. Don't hate it, don't love it.

Ohio State - Classy, simple. I like it. I'm kinda iffy on the red helmet, but overall I like it.

West Virginia - Pretty nice on the whole. Love the tribute to the coal miners, it'll be interesting to see how it actually looks in use. But initially I kinda like it. Cool.

TCU - Same as last year with more frog skin. I like it. The helmet could be a little darker, but I like it.

Florida - I like the Gator Skin idea, but here there is too much. Just plain old ugly. No bueno.

Oregon State - The absolute tops of this Pro Combat class. B-E-A-U-TIFUL. Gorgeous. The return of classic striping to football uniforms? Only if eveyone on the team wants to wear the undershirt sleeves. But if the team cooperates, beautiful and hopefully is the future of football uniforms.

Alabama - Why bother? Their normal uniform with a highly subliminated houndstooth on the numbers and helmet stripe and an American flag? Why even bother? A waste of a Pro Combat. Ohio State and Oregon State pulled off the classic look because it is different than their current wear. Alabama should have just stayed home on this one.

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULBUSMNT | USWNTLAFC | OCSCMAN UTD |

Archived