Pro Combat Info Leaked (08/31/10)

jthubble

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most of these on the models come of as butt-ugly. And that's a huge problem because in theory and in computer rendering, they look amazing. I lean towards liking the ones that have actual inspiration, like WVU, tOSU, TCU, OSU, and PITT as opposed to the ones made just to make money, like Florida, Boise, Miami, and Bama. WVU is actually my favorite of the bunch.

I've said it before, but no matter what these look like they are part of a bigger process. Nike is experimenting, testing out things to see what works. The ideas that catch and the styles that emerge should shape the future of the football uniform design landscape. I like what they're doing, and I love their passion for bringing football uniforms into the present.

On the Oregon State uniforms; the look on their website is fine, but on that model the sleeve stripes are so low that they make him look dopey, even clumsy. Bring them up a bit and make the sock stripes look White and then I'm on board.

Also, I hope VT and Boise aren't playing each other in those uniforms. That's going to be an aesthetic nightmare played between two teams wearing colors that aren't their own.

Too late, it's going to happen. Check out the dates from Post #1 of this thread:

The teams plan to wear the uniquely designed uniforms for the games listed below and any other games they may determine at a later date:

The University of Alabama (Nov. 13) vs. Mississippi State

Boise State University (Sept. 6) vs. VaTech

University of Florida (Oct. 30) vs. Georgia

University of Miami (Nov. 20) vs. VaTech

The Ohio State University (Nov. 27) vs. Michigan

Oregon State University (Dec. 4) vs. Oregon

University of Pittsburgh (Nov. 26) vs. WVU

TCU (Sept. 4) vs. Oregon State

Virginia Tech (Sept. 6) vs. Boise

West Virginia University (Nov. 26) @ Pitt

The Oregon State player looks like such a loser in that picture. Maybe those sleeve stripes aren't so good.

The problem with the unveiling is that they didn't use acutual football players. Most of the models are smaller than actual football players. They look like children dressed in adult football uniforms.

Most of these on the models come of as butt-ugly. And that's a huge problem because in theory and in computer rendering, they look amazing. I lean towards liking the ones that have actual inspiration, like WVU, tOSU, TCU, OSU, and PITT as opposed to the ones made just to make money, like Florida, Boise, Miami, and Bama. WVU is actually my favorite of the bunch.

I've said it before, but no matter what these look like they are part of a bigger process. Nike is experimenting, testing out things to see what works. The ideas that catch and the styles that emerge should shape the future of the football uniform design landscape. I like what they're doing, and I love their passion for bringing football uniforms into the present.

On the Oregon State uniforms; the look on their website is fine, but on that model the sleeve stripes are so low that they make him look dopey, even clumsy. Bring them up a bit and make the sock stripes look White and then I'm on board.

I, too, really like where Nike is going with this. Some of the uniforms are terrible (Boise State is the worst by far), some of them are really good (I like both OSUs and TCU), and then there are some cool uniforms that just don't go well with the school's tradition (Virginia Teach). The best part is that Nike is trying new stuff that is apparently better for the players. They just make a big deal out of it by making teams wear one-off uniforms so people know that they're testing out these new uniforms. Hopefully the sleeve stripe on the undershirt catches on because I think that would be great for teams that want to keep traditional striping while wearing the new cuts of uniforms.

Wordmark_zpsaxgeaoqy.jpg

I like Alabama's but I'm also disappointed. I was wanting to see a white helmet, and houndstooth on the collar, but the number/stripe thing is pretty cool, and the pants look good. I would honestly like to see Bama switch to these full time but that will never happen. I like it as a regular uniform but I thought they could have done something different. As for the rest, I like Florida's the best. I think Ohio State, Pitt, TCU, and Virginia Tech look good too. Oregon State's are alright, I don't really like how the stripes are on the undershirt instead of the sleeves. I don't like West Virginia, Boise State, or Miami's.

Check out my new NFL 2016 Series!

Ohio State's is hideous. The black outline ruins it. It's just random. Why not the grey outline?

The pants/socks... wow lol. Leotards??

Looks like the ballet version of the Georgia Bulldogs.

It's a throwback uniform. And it's accurate, which is why the numerals have a black outline.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

Ah. That'd be alright if it weren't the Bulldogs other than the number font.

And the long grey socks have got to go. Their uniform last season was hated by all pretty much (including OSU fans), but I think this one may be worse.

Most of the Buckeye fans are liking this one pretty well. After the whole 'it's inspired by the 1954 uniform, but it looks nothing like it' fiasco of last year, I think anything is a step up. For the most part, I just don't really dig when the sleeves of a garment are a different color than the body, unless it's an old-school vest baseball uniform or something. I like it even less when the colored 'sleeves' only cover the shoulders. Ohio State and Missouri last year, Miami and Boise State this year: Nike designers seem to love this look.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

reveal_event_lineup_high_res.jpg

Okay, here we go:

• Alabama - Eh. Nothing too special here. Then again, it's Alabama. Didn't expect much to begin with. Looks good as usual, but still.
  • Boise State - Hot mess. Would've been good if they had went all-grey or put the blue on both sleeves on the jersey. Instead they do...that. Not good at all.
  • Florida - Something just seems off with it. I can't put my finger on it, but it just doesn't look as good as I think it could. I guess it stems from the fact that I already hate their normal orange-white-blue combo. Downgrade from last year.
  • Miami - Looked TERRIBLE in the computer render...but IRL, it doesn't look bad at all. In fact, it looks pretty good. Definitely an upgrade over last year's Pro Combat look. One of my favorites.
  • Ohio State - It's a throwback. As long as they got it correct, I really don't care. If they got it correct, A+ for accuracy.
  • Oregon State - Same with Ohio State's, except they did a great job of adding striping onto the undershirt. Now, if only the players would wear it. This is one of my favorites of the bunch.
  • Pitt - Probably the Anti-Miami of the whole set. Looked great in the computer render, but kinda bad IRL. I mean, it's not bad, but it definitely doesn't look as good as it did in the render. Miss.
  • TCU - Not bad...but a definite downgrade from what they had last year, which was the best of the bunch when it came to Pro Combat 2009. Should've went closer to black with the pants and helmet.
  • VT - Surprisingly good. When I saw that first picture, I was expecting the worst. Now? It looks pretty good. Like I said before, they really took the "Tech" part to heart and went crazy with it, but not Boise State crazy. I dig this one, this is actually one of my favorites as well.
  • WVU - If they were going for a coal look...they nailed it. Great job.

10. Boise State- Where do I start.

9. Oregon State- Huge numbers, plain style.

8. Pitt- Ehh, not what I expected.

7. West Virginia- looks too Mizzou(ish).

6. Florida- Last year's was far superior.

5. Alabama- Not bad at all, just other great desgins.

4. Ohio State- Love the seriffed number font.

3. Miami- Palm tree's look awesome better than what I expected.

2. TCU- Great look overall, love the red helmet stripe.

1. VT- The best of the bunch, really love how they incorperated, the tech into the design. My new favorite Pro Combat of all-time.

Those Miami unis are freaking sweet! I love em. All orange, so sick!!!!

I hate both OSU ones, both boring and ugly.

I'm so done with throwbacks in every sport. Especially the Pro Combat being synonomous with out there designs.

1. Miami- orange all over? Nuff said.

2. Pitt- new logo, looks nice.

3. Boise State- I like the different sleeves. Grey is cool too.

4. TCU- I like the stripes. Black and purple isn't bad.

5. Va Tech- orange is always nice, colors look sweet, and nice design.

6. UF- meh, wish they would have used an orange or blue jersey, but it's still pretty cool.

7. WVU- meh, like the sleeve logos.

8. Alabama- huh?

9-10. OSU squared. Sucks squared.

Oh, and I wish Miami had used color on the gloves so the U would stand out more.

2ly2w09.jpg

okay im gonna through in my 2 cents here. first i want to say though, Nike has done an excellent job with these. i didnt really like the pro combats last year but in 2010, they've really captured the essence and spirit of each school. this is a brand study that every designer should be familiar with. there are no design choices that are not relevant, everything has meaning.

1. Pitt - i like monochrome anyway but this thing screams tough steel worker. great "fire gold" and cold steel blue combination. just love it!

2. Boise State - not a fan of the grey jersey but the rest makes up for it. the asymmetrical design representing their wild and unique nature, the "fast moving" text/numbers like a Broncos charging across the plains. wonderful stuff

3. Ohio State - love the numbers, it screams 1940s. they picked a great team to honor

4. Oregon State - i love the undershirts with the stripes. its about time someone did that. i love the classic design, and the number form reflects the campus

5. Alabama - not too far from the original, but that subtle houndtooth texture is ace and should be on all their merchandise.

6. Virginia Tech - LOVE the tech texture. and their colors are always great. dont think it should be "all black evy 'tang" though

7. West Virginia - got to love the coal smears. funky jersey panels though

8. TCU - reptile skin texture is better than Florida's because its more subtle. should have done a purple jersey. nice touch of red on the helmet (blood lines)

9. Florida - i wish they would have pushed it further, its so similar to what they already wear. im not crazy about the gator skin texture.

10. Miami - i like it, but not loving it. the palm texture is a nice touch and so is the reasoning for the breaking up of the numbers. wish it was like last years though, green and orange

GRAPHIC ARTIST

BEHANCE  /  MEDIUM  /  DRIBBBLE

Random thoughts...

Lots of cool ideas in there honestly. I'm always on the fence with messing with tradition but since none are schools I like really...I don't care I guess.

I really thought I'd really like the stripes on the undershirt...it just doesn't work for me. They are too low, or they seem to obvious...they don't flow with the uniform IMO. Maybe they'll look better on actual players but right now...just isn't working. Love the concept but not loving the execution right now. I honestly like the contrast sleeves more...those versions aren't trying to be something they aren't. They are treated as a undershirt that takes elements from the rest of the jersey but is a distinctive piece. I like that personally.

There are some things about Boise State's I actually like. The helmets are kinda cool...if you described them to me I'd hate them but seeing them mocked up they are innovative. Also the use of reflective ink is kinda cool. Not sure about it on the field...but on the sidelines and as an apparel item the reflective ink is pretty cool stuff.

Really like the story behind west virginia's but not sure it works on a uniform. Maybe as a t-shirt graphic but as a uniform I'd have to see them on field.

Is that a new Pitt Wordmark? Not sure if I've seen that before...kinda like it...

Interesting so many helmets are asymmetrical...most teams only have logos on one side. Wonder if that's intentional or a mistake or what...

Archived