2010-11 NHL Season Thread

Still MIGHTY

(gulp)

Oddball's exactly right.

I enjoy the occasional shootout. Occasional. As an absolute last resort to resolve a deadlocked game, it's awesome, but there are far too damn many of them per season. One of the many hockey tropes that really gets my goat is "you have to worry about all those three-point games down the stretch," probably because there are so many of those three-point games down the stretch. While the shootout itself is intrinsically exciting, the entire hockey game itself in February and March becomes a lot less exciting when you can be all but certain that the two teams will go to overtime/shootout after frittering away a lead or sitting on a tie. So really, all the nerve-wracking energy of hockey is just deferred from the sixty minutes of regulation to the shootout (4/4 overtime is so often a perfunctory waste of time that ends before you notice it started, I'm hardly even deigning to mention it here), rendering most of the night meaningless. Why watch? Why play? Why not just use the complete benches and determine games by 18-round shootout? Baseball is a zero-sum game. Basketball is a zero-sum game. Playoff hockey is a zero-sum game. So why, pray tell, must so much of regular season hockey be a slog of settling for ties and not minding wins?

Wins, losses, the end. There should only be two outcomes to a game, with no qualifiers on how long it took you or how you went about it. A 4-3 (7-6) shootout loss is just as much the opposite of a win as a 9-0 regulation loss. If this means adding more pre-shootout overtime (I say five minutes 5/5, five 4/4, shootout), excellent. The only use for the stupid "points system" should be for comparing modern records with old ones, and there's not even any sense in doing that now that overtime losses have inflated the points such that 100 won't even guarantee 8th place anymore.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

First time the Flames lose back to back games in well over two months. 11 Games left probably need to win 8 of those. Good news the Flames play 7 of those against teams below them in the standings. Bad news we only have 11 games left though it's not like one team will have 3 games left well another has 0.

I hate the Western Conference so much right now.

The Flames are screwed. Why? Because they have the fewest games remaining and they have they are tied with the Rangers for most shootout wins with 8. If you don't understand, a team with lesser shootout wins gets the tiebreak advantage over the team with more shootout wins. Now that's not saying the Kings are in a good position with 7. Here's the link to it, if you're curious to see where your team stands: http://www.nhl.com/ice/teamstats.htm?fetchKey=20112ALLAAAAll&sort=shootoutTeamSummary.shootoutGamesWon&viewName=shootoutTeamSummary

Oh I know about the shootout tiebreak rules. Just didn't want to think about it until becomes a reality.

One good thing is that the Flames get the Avalanche and Oilers twice each, so there is some hope for them

san-francisco-giants-cap.jpgsanfranciscob.gifArizonaWildcats4.gifcalirvine.jpg
BEAR DOWN ARIZONA!

2013/14 Tanks Picks Champion

Wins, losses, the end. There should only be two outcomes to a game, with no qualifiers on how long it took you or how you went about it. A 4-3 (7-6) shootout loss is just as much the opposite of a win as a 9-0 regulation loss. If this means adding more pre-shootout overtime (I say five minutes 5/5, five 4/4, shootout), excellent. The only use for the stupid "points system" should be for comparing modern records with old ones, and there's not even any sense in doing that now that overtime losses have inflated the points such that 100 won't even guarantee 8th place anymore.

The point of the shootout was to get rid of ties, and with a shootout you have one winner and one loser. Keeping points makes no sense at all. They really should just go with winning percentage.

I just meant if you have,say, a list of season-by-season records, keep the column for points. There'd be no contemporary use for it on the standings table.

http://www.nhlwheelofjustice.com/

For all your supplemental discipline needs.

On September 20, 2012 at 0:50 AM, 'CS85 said:

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

On February 19, 2012 at 9:30 AM, 'pianoknight said:

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12POTD 2/26/17

Before the lockout and the shootout, I absolutely abhorred ties. Kissing sister? Yuck. Now that we've been through 5 years of the shootout, I find myself begging for ties again. All the points have been made, its not a team thing, yadda yadda yadda, I understand the reasons we have it, I just really really hate it.

duscarf2013.pngg6uheq4mgvrndguzuzak1pcte.gif
"I don't understand where you got this idea so deeply ingrained in your head (that this world) is something that you must impress, cause I couldn't care less"

http://keepdcunited.org

I have yet to hear a good argument be made on why we can't have a 20 minute, or even 10 minute OT. This would eliminate a number of SO. If still no score after this have a 5 minute 3on3 then go to a SO if the game is still tied.

I have yet to hear a good argument be made on why we can't have a 20 minute, or even 10 minute OT.

The networks hate marathon OT in the playoffs and wouldn't want 20 minutes in the regular season, maybe 10 minutes.

Also, I'm not sure if the players can physically handle multiple 80 minute games per season.

Belts.jpg
PotD May 11th, 2011
looooooogodud: June 7th 2010 - July 5th 2012

I have yet to hear a good argument be made on why we can't have a 20 minute, or even 10 minute OT. This would eliminate a number of SO. If still no score after this have a 5 minute 3on3 then go to a SO if the game is still tied.

I'm sure a case can be made for the stoppage of beer sales at the start of the third period, which somehow equates to a short overtime period.

I have yet to hear a good argument be made on why we can't have a 20 minute, or even 10 minute OT.

The networks hate marathon OT in the playoffs and wouldn't want 20 minutes in the regular season, maybe 10 minutes.

Also, I'm not sure if the players can physically handle multiple 80 minute games per season.

If the NFL, MLB and NBA can have full length OT's I don't see why the NHL can't either.

I've said it before.

5 Minutes, 3 on 3, More times then not somebody will score, if not tie. It'd be something the competition committee should try out in a few preseason games..

JETS|PACK|JAYS|NUFC|BAMA|BOMBERS|RAPS|ORANJE|

Do you suppose NHL overtime would become rarer if teams knew they had an incentive to win in regulation instead of just playing pond shinny for the third frame?

Finally, blackhawks initiating a beat down. Sharks just can't find their number, even with their old goalie in net.

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

When the Flames are off I like to not even worry about the West and shift my attention over to the East. What the hell happened to Philly's lead and I guess Washington will roll with Braden Holtby come playoffs?

JETS|PACK|JAYS|NUFC|BAMA|BOMBERS|RAPS|ORANJE|

Do you suppose NHL overtime would become rarer if teams knew they had an incentive to win in regulation instead of just playing pond shinny for the third frame?

A.k.a.: Using soccer's points structure, since the NHL seems hell-bent on keeping points around? 3 points for a win, 1 point for a tie, 0 points for a loss, and no more overtime games. (Obviously, keep 20-minute OT periods for the playoffs.)

Make ties equal to 1/3rd of a win instead of half of a win. There's your incentive to go for the win. Hell, you'd probably have teams pulling their goalie in the waning minutes of a deadlocked game, especially late in the season or in games against interconference opponents....

A.k.a.: Using soccer's points structure, since the NHL seems hell-bent on keeping points around? 3 points for a win, 1 point for a tie, 0 points for a loss, and no more overtime games. (Obviously, keep 20-minute OT periods for the playoffs.)

Make ties equal to 1/3rd of a win instead of half of a win. There's your incentive to go for the win. Hell, you'd probably have teams pulling their goalie in the waning minutes of a deadlocked game, especially late in the season or in games against interconference opponents....

I could get on board with this. The loser point has to go, no reward for forcing OT.

duscarf2013.pngg6uheq4mgvrndguzuzak1pcte.gif
"I don't understand where you got this idea so deeply ingrained in your head (that this world) is something that you must impress, cause I couldn't care less"

http://keepdcunited.org

But ties are stupid and nobody liked them. I'm not dropping $200 on Blackhawks tickets so I can see nobody win. I could do that on a night they're not playing and save a lot of money.

Archived