2010-11 NHL Season Thread

Still MIGHTY

It's always struck me as odd that hockey, a self-described "man's game", is the sport that treats making it to overtime and losing as an accomplishment. "Sorry about the loss, but you tried so hard to be the same as that other team we're going to go ahead and give you a point anyways."

I'd be all for dropping the overtime point and going with a straight wins and losses stat sheet even if shootouts are the decider. If that happens then I'd like to see an additional five minutes of 4 on 4 because I don't like the idea of the shootout having that much power, but I think it's time we quit it with the three point games.

In baseball if your team loses in 15 innings, yeah it sucks, but it heightens the extra session and it feels good to know that somebody won and somebody lost. Not that somebody won and somebody half-lost. It's also so annoying to sit here and watch the standings not move because Generic Western Conference Team A keeps going to overtime with teams. I'm so sick of rooting for "regulation wins".

PvO6ZWJ.png

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i guess making the overtime 10 mins would be a good start. i hate the shootout so much, cause it's so cheap when one team completely dominates another and then the other team gets it in the shootout off some trickler.

sport-scarf_celtic-2_zps105bfcbf.png

it's so cheap when one team completely dominates another and then the other team gets it in the shootout off some trickler.

Sometihng about this post next to your avatar is vaguely unsettling.

McCarthy with an excellent observation in his very first sentence.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

The shootout in hockey is like the NBA breaking ties with free-throws. It's not a reflection of the team, it's an individual contest. Yeah it's exciting, but I'm not a fan. If you're giving a team 1 point for losing in overtime anyways, what was so wrong with tie games and 1 point each?

But ties are stupid and nobody liked them. I'm not dropping $200 on Blackhawks tickets so I can see nobody win. I could do that on a night they're not playing and save a lot of money.

Honestly, I would rather see a tie than a loss. There is nothing worse than driving home from a loss and it doesn't matter what the score is, whether you lost in regulation, overtime or a shootout.

If they were ending games with shootouts in the days of the Vancouver Millionaires, people wouldn't care. That's why so many people found nothing wrong with having like 13 ties in an 80-game season, which offends my sensibilities more than a shootout does.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Tough game for the Stars lose but good bounce back by the Sharks. The two turning points happened right in front of me. First, Niemi way overplays and ends up getting taken out of the net leading to a shorthanded goal by the Stars. Then, early in the third, Woywitka with a terrible giveaway to Pavelski which lead to the 3rd goal for San Jose. Niemi played pretty well the rest of the game and SJ managed to kill a late pp for the 2 points.

Flames haven't been the same since the Heritage Classic. 10 Games to go and another must win on St Patty's Day against the Avs.

Also thanks to Kings and Sharks for helping out tonight.

JETS|PACK|JAYS|NUFC|BAMA|BOMBERS|RAPS|ORANJE|

The idea I heard and liked to solve NHL games was awarding 2 points for a win in regulation and 1 for an OT win. The original sales pitch for the current OT rules was that play really tightened up late in the third and then little happened in the OT because neither team wanted to risk losing their point, which is how we ended up where we are now. Teams still play conservatively late in the game because they are still worried about losing the guaranteed point if they cant get the game to OT. From the OT's I've watched the action is hit or miss, depending on the game, and I see very little in shootouts anymore that does anything for me. I wasnt all that thrilled to see it introduced after the lockout and dont feel any better about it now.

But I like the solution, the longer the game drags on, penalize points. You want the two points in the standings? Late in the season and absolutely need the two points in the standings? Win the game in regulation. Make it into the OT and the best you can do is 1 point by winning, and if you lose you get squat. I believe teams will be forced to open it up because they will no longer have the guaranteed point to fall back on. The alternative to this idea was 3 points in regulation, 2 for the OT and 1 point for a shootout win, my problem with that is that your back to the four column standings, and oh werent those glorious days the last time that was tried.

I found this interesting, jay bouwmeester set a record for defensemen by playing in his 469th consecutive game. Good for him, but not a single one of those is a playoff game. He's never been in the playoffs.

PvO6ZWJ.png

I found this interesting, jay bouwmeester set a record for defensemen by playing in his 469th consecutive game. Good for him, but not a single one of those is a playoff game. He's never been in the playoffs.

496 actually :P but anyways.

His scoring is no where near what it was like in Florida, probably all systematic he was playing more of an offensive roll in FLA then he is here but just watching him play defense is amazing the speed he brings is much needed. Robyn Regehr 2.0 pretty much.

I'd like to see him jump up in the play more and he has been doing that more often of late, just watch the pass he made to Rene Bourque to set up the Tanguay goal last night.

JETS|PACK|JAYS|NUFC|BAMA|BOMBERS|RAPS|ORANJE|

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

Quelle Catastrophe!

More seriously, there were folks who wanted Checketts to buy the Rams. Can you imagine the dire straits every St. Louis team not named the Cardinals would be in right about now if this had happened?

/At least now I know the REAL reason for the fire sale a couple of weeks ago.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

I just thought that, with the Blues already playing LNAH-style hockey, it would be the natural move.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

Why are Wing fans booing Ovechkin every time he touches the puck?

Probably because being a Red Wings fan is incredibly boring. The regular season is like a 6 month preseason for those people. They gotta do something to make it interesting.

PvO6ZWJ.png

Archived