Looks that have Grown on You

DustDevil61

I've been thinking about this, but what are some looks (new logos, colors, uniforms, etc.) that you hated when they first debuted but you've grown to like now? You can mention looks that are still in use and those that aren't.

I'll start:

--The Cincinnati Bengals' current set is still inferior compared to what they had, but I do like the design of the road white jerseys, and I like the addition of an orange alt. I remember being pretty angry about them screwing with such a flawless design, but I always like brighter colors and designs that stick out. If they could eliminate the white side panel on the black and orange uniforms, un-taper the pants' tiger-stripe (read: make it a uniform width all the way down), and make said stripe panel orange/black all the way down, then they'd look pretty good for a modernized design.

--The San Diego Chargers' previous set wasn't as good as the classic powder blues, but they were consistent. I can't believe I'm saying this, but I miss those navy helmets.

--I was never a big fan of the Phillies' current set, but I've developed a soft spot for them, seeing as it's more of a nod to their past. I still like the maroon era uniforms, but I'm now fine with these.

There's more for me, but I have other engagements right now.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I absolutely hated the Carolina Panthers logo until about a month or two again, when I realized it wasn't all that bad.

You must have gone totally, out-of-your-gourd insane a month or two ago, because that is the worst logo in sports.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

-I didn't like the black Oakland Athletics jersey at first (partially because it was pointless), but I've grown to like it.

-I really didn't like the entire Washington Nats identity when it first debuted, but I've grown to like it.

-I thought the recent Atlanta Hawks color and uniform change was horrible, but I've really grown to like their look, which I'm sure is tied to their recent on-court success (they had never even made the playoffs in their previous uniform set).

-I used to think the current Det. Pistons logo was a huge downgrade from the flaming horse, but now I appreciate the simplicity of the current Pistons logo.

-This is a quick turnaround, but I was disgusted at the new GS Warriors logo at first, mostly because of the copperplate. But it has already grown on me and whenever I see the logo (without dwelling on it) I think it looks nice.

-I thought the Bucks going to green and red was a downgrade at first; now I'm fine with it.

-The tweaked T'wolves logo seemed pointless to me at the time but its grown on me and I realize now that the older one looks too 90's.

-The entire OKC Thunder identity has grown on me, even the name. At first I thought almost everything they did was wrong.

WIZARDS ORIOLES CAPITALS RAVENS UNITED

I absolutely hated the Carolina Panthers logo until about a month or two again, when I realized it wasn't all that bad.

You must have gone totally, out-of-your-gourd insane a month or two ago, because that is the worst logo in sports.

No, I've seen worse.

Anything the Ducks trot out in. If its not say all green or all white I usually will get used to/like the combo by the end of the game. Last year I thought the white/green/grey combo was dumb until about half time when I thought they looked alright. This year the black/black/grey didn't grow on me until the second half.

Phillies still beat them tho 2 years ago :)

And the Blue Jays beat the Phillies 17 years ago :)

Which brings me to my next set... The Blue Jays. I still don't exactly connect black/graphite uniforms to a blue jay, but I also don't think it was badly done, and I do like the primary logo they've been using since 2004 now.

I don't find the Oklahoma City Thunder's 'Dorito' logo as hideous as I used to. I've moved beyond the lack of meaning and depth within the logo to appreciating its aesthetic value. Their uniforms are quite nice, too. Pity they have no real identity to put on them.

I guess what I'm trying to say is this: The logo, uniforms, and color scheme are aesthetically pleasing if you don't take the team's name and history into account.

That being said, it's still a terrible, terrible logo (and color scheme) for a team named 'Thunder'.

Sigs are for sissies.

I really cannot think of many. I guess I am one of those old fuddy-duddies who likes what he likes (primarily traditional).

1. Padres. It's still not as good as brown/orange, but it's pretty good. I prefer gray roadies, but the rest of the look is solid.

2. Titans. I love the colors and the shoulder pattern has stopped bugging me (probably thanks to debacles in places such as Buffalo).

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

I don't find the Oklahoma City Thunder's 'Dorito' logo as hideous as I used to. I've moved beyond the lack of meaning and depth within the logo to appreciating its aesthetic value. Their uniforms are quite nice, too. Pity they have no real identity to put on them.

I guess what I'm trying to say is this: The logo, uniforms, and color scheme are aesthetically pleasing if you don't take the team's name and history into account.

That being said, it's still a terrible, terrible logo (and color scheme) for a team named 'Thunder'.

Still hate the logo and road wordmark, but the basic unis and colour scheme have really grown on me.

Washington Wizards, too. It's taken 13 years, and now they announce they're going to a red, white and blue scheme next year...

I don't mind the move from block numbers as long as there is a identity-related purpose for it (and not just custom for the sake of having something else to TM). I don't see how the Bengals numbers really compliment their look at all. If anything, they ruin it for me. Something block or rounded block would work much better. The Vikings numbers are just dumb and pointless. The Ravens work well though, as do the Texans, and many of the other teams who use a custom font.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

--The San Diego Chargers' previous set wasn't as good as the classic powder blues, but they were consistent. I can't believe I'm saying this, but I miss those navy helmets.

I'd agree, looking back the those navy sets weren't bad at all. I thought the current uniforms were a huge upgrade, but I kinda like the old ones just as well. Overall the Chargers always seem to have great uniforms.

Tampa Bay Rays - at first it was like eww their generic looking, but now especially with the inclusion of the navy jersey, kickass socks, and even the light blue jersey, they have a good look.

I also agree about the Rays. I thought the hat was very generic, but since I've seen it more and more I've started to like it. I'd probably even buy one if they weren't in the same division as the O's.

I'd also add the Houston Texans nickname. I originally hated it, and thought it was incredibly unoriginal. However I've know come to like it, especially because the logo and uniforms are so great (not sure I like the all red set though).

I don't mind the move from block numbers as long as there is a identity-related purpose for it (and not just custom for the sake of having something else to TM). I don't see how the Bengals numbers really compliment their look at all. If anything, they ruin it for me. Something block or rounded block would work much better. The Vikings numbers are just dumb and pointless. The Ravens work well though, as do the Texans, and many of the other teams who use a custom font.

Pretty much agree with all this here.

I can't for the life of me figure out why the Bengals thought drop-shadowed DIN numbers were a good idea. And yeah, I agree--and one can tell--the Vikings' numbers were definitely forced. In fact, in my opinion, so were the Atlanta Falcons', although a bit less so. Same thing with the Arizona Cardinals. And definitely (worst of all) the San Diego Power Rangers Chargers. With those, it was almost like "snip a corner here, round a corner there--PRESTO, CUSTOM NUMBER!!" I look at teams like the Ravens, Eagles, and Texans and formerly the Jaguars) as great examples of how a well thought-out custom "font" can look great, and even last a lil' while.

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

At first I hated the Rays' changes, but thier recent sucess in them and them becoming much more popular as a team rapidly has started to make me like it a little more. I still prefer the Green, Blue, and Black DEVIL Rays look, but I don't hate the current one as much.

In college, at first I wasn't too fond of the template Colorado uses (not the throwback, the modern look), but after a few years of seeing it in action it has become one of my favorite designs.

Every post-Joey Harrington look for Oregon bugged me, and thier current look did at first, but I've warmed up to it a little more.

Jazzretirednumbers.jpg

The opinions I express are mine, and mine only. If I am to express them, it is not to say you or anyone else is wrong, and certainly not to say that I am right.

I don't see how the Bengals numbers really compliment their look at all. If anything, they ruin it for me. Something block or rounded block would work much better.

Bengals' numbers are based off the numbers on the helmets, aren't they? I'm pretty sure they took the Steelers' idea of trying to match the helmet numbers and the jersey numbers.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

Archived