Looks that have Grown on You

DustDevil61

I'm pretty sure they took the Steelers' idea of trying to match the helmet numbers and the jersey numbers.

Then they both screwed it up. The Bengals helmet numbers don't have a drop shadow and the Steelers helmet numbers are not italicized.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Tampa Bay Rays - at first it was like eww their generic looking, but now especially with the inclusion of the navy jersey, kickass socks, and even the light blue jersey, they have a good look.

Phillies still beat them tho 2 years ago :)

"TOUCH 'EM ALL JOE! YOU'LL NEVER HIT A BIGGER HOME RUN IN YOUR LIFE!"- The late Tom Cheek's call of Joe Carter's WORLD SERIES WINNING HOME RUN off Mitch "Wild Thing" Williams, October 23, 1993. "WILD THING, YOU MAKE MY HEART SING.........." OK, Blue Jays, let's play ball!

when the new canucks uni's came out i freakin hated them with a passion but after having to watch those uniforms for 3 seasons now i think they have one of the nicest looks in the league, even with the arched vancouver script i love 'em, especially the alt.

sport-scarf_celtic-2_zps105bfcbf.png

When the Broncos' Nike Navy look first came out, I thought: THAT'S a horse? And what's with the navy blue?

Now it seems strange to me to see the Broncos in orange, whether its their current alts or the orange throwback they wore against Dallas a few Thanksgivings ago. Not only that but I feel like it's one of the few revisions of that era that's been able to stand the test of time.

University of Cincinnati's new look bothered me a lot at first, but now I think they're pretty badass. Still a lot left to be desired, but they really work for an identity.

+1.

4861008.jpg

4860442.jpg

4860580.jpg

I remember thinking to myself as I was watching tidbits of this game, "man...those Cincinnati sets look mighty sharp". Now granted, when worn like this, they do look pretty slick. Granted, that pants stripe is a bit too wide for its own good, but I like the idea of the cat scratches, not to mention the overall brand. They've really managed craft a solid identity, between the use of Friz Quadrata and heavy emphasis on black with tidbits of red mixed in.

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

I don't see how the Bengals numbers really compliment their look at all. If anything, they ruin it for me. Something block or rounded block would work much better.

Bengals' numbers are based off the numbers on the helmets, aren't they? I'm pretty sure they took the Steelers' idea of trying to match the helmet numbers and the jersey numbers.

Well that's just dumb then, because at least the Steelers' numbers are on the front of the helmet and are somewhat a major part of the helmet's design, whereas nobody notices the Bengals' numbers. For the record, I love what the Steelers did, though they really should get the italicization issue straightened out (either do both or neither.)

University of Cincinnati's new look bothered me a lot at first, but now I think they're pretty badass. Still a lot left to be desired, but they really work for an identity.

+1.

4861008.jpg

4860442.jpg

4860580.jpg

I remember thinking to myself as I was watching tidbits of this game, "man...those Cincinnati sets look mighty sharp". Now granted, when worn like this, they do look pretty slick. Granted, that pants stripe is a bit too wide for its own good, but I like the idea of the cat scratches, not to mention the overall brand. They've really managed craft a solid identity, between the use of Friz Quadrata and heavy emphasis on black with tidbits of red mixed in.

I thought those uniforms were really bush league, then I had the opportunity to see them on-field during warmups from literally inches away, and I instantly became a fan. There's a couple of minor tweaks that would make them perfect (and apparently a few tweeks will be made prior to the end of the season) but I really think that as far as non-classic unis go, these are great.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

The last Chargers set (especially the white jersey/navy pants/stripped socks combo) has really shot to the top of my favourite uniforms. The new look is such a mess that I've realized just how good we Chargers fans had it with the last set.

The 49ers neo-retro uniforms. At first I really disliked this look. I thought the last set was the perfect update of the classic 49ers look, and I saw this as a step backwards. The purposely slanted sleve stripes and the wordmark under the collar didn't do the look any favours for me at first. After seeing them in action enough times, though, I have to say I'm really starting to like them. They still need to find a way to fix the logo, but all in all I like the look.

The last Chargers set (especially the white jersey/navy pants/stripped socks combo) has really shot to the top of my favourite uniforms. The new look is such a mess that I've realized just how good we Chargers fans had it with the last set.

While I agree with the overall downgrade on the new Chargers look, I have to admit that the change to the white helmet (without the side numbers) has grown on me. I like the look of the helmet much more than I ever thought I would.

Having said that, I still dislike the new sets just because they do seem to have been designed by a committee trying to satisfy "everyone": we'll go to a classic helmet, remove the numbers on it, add powder blue from the throwbacks as trim, keep the modern navy, add a bolt pattern from early in our history, go with a modern number font, then place in a blender and press the puree button. And they wonder why it's an overall "meh" look. The disappointment is that it could have been much better; the relief is that it could have turned into the Bills, part II.

As for other looks that have grown on me, I'd have to add the current Patriots look to the list. I hated when they first went away from Pat and the red-based uniforms, but the last tweaks to their set have finally sold me on the newer logo and colors. Having admitted that, I still can't help but think of Sentry hardware whenever I see the Flying Elvis. :)

The Anaheim Ducks current look has, for the most part, grown on me. But I still prefer the old Mighty Ducks look.

I hated the colour combo at first, which led me to nickname the team the Flying Penguins of Anaheim. But over time, I grew to like the colours (although I really hate how the gold appears in all different shades of brown on the internet), and the addition of orange to the collar on the Edge jerseys was an instant hit with me.

But to this day I'm still a bit iffy about their logo. Part of me likes it as a decent looking wordmark - and I would have been perfectly happy if they used it for an eventual third jersey - but I'm still left with a bitter taste in my mouth from when it was first unveiled. I'd love to know what the hell the Samuelis were thinking when they picked a wordmark, tiny and barely noticeable among the other NHL team logos, as the primary mark.

Now the team seems to be finally coming to their senses as they're starting to slowly phase the wordmark out in favour of the standalone webfoot 'D'. That's a mark that I've really grown to like for its simplicity, but it's still not strong enough by itself, mainly because a lot of folks can't even tell that it's a duck's footprint. I'm hoping that the Ducks can eventually come up with a better logo - not that it's really hard to do - without getting themselves into a Canuckian identity crisis.

- Also, the San Jose Sharks look has grown on me. I think the old colour scheme was a bit better, but their current logo kicks all kinds of ass.

mTBXgML.png

PotD: 24/08/2017

When the Carolina Hurricanes logo was unveiled I was kinda bumbed. Then again how do you illustrate a hurricane? Wish they would fix the flags also. All in all I now couldn't imagine them having any other logo.

Also gotta agree with october23sp about the Vikings unis. They have grown on me as well but I would rather they use them as an alternate.

• 4 weeks later...

The Milwaukee Bucks change back to Green/Red was welcoming to me.

Going to the Minor Leagues, absolutely hated the Milwaukee Admirals new logo introduce in August 2007. They removed the grey road sweater from use beginning this season and replaced it with an all black jersey with blue piping. It not only grew on me, but with the black jersey I love it!

This is one that has surprised me:

6fdee6e0f5ac860c54d64064f6f4826f-getty-98787410dv008_san_diego.jpg

Mind you, it's not as good as the blue shirt/gold pants (which is, in turn, inferior to the classic blue/yellow-gold), but it isn't as hideous as when I first saw it. On a similar note, I wouldn't mind if the Rams kept navy and went with a classic yellow-gold; they would seem to look different enough from the Chargers if they went that route.

And this:

6cf6451aa3a743dd84174215e0ecbfc6.jpg

When I first saw it, something looked off. Since then, however, this looks better and better each time I see it. The Broncos are just supposed to wear orange, if you ask me. I still think that they should go back to orange/royal blue, but as long as they remain a navy/orange team, this is how to do it.

Tampa Bay Rays - at first it was like eww their generic looking, but now especially with the inclusion of the navy jersey, kickass socks, and even the light blue jersey, they have a good look.

Phillies still beat them tho 2 years ago :)

I agree with this.. Its funny how winning makes bad look better. I wonder if people would look positively upon the Clippers if they had a winning history. Because in reality its not that much different than the Lakers but people find the Lakers look iconic while the Clippers are generic. Just wondering

goforbroke_zpsb07ade0a.jpg

• 6 months later...

world series winning Blue Jays uni's, powder blue and Maroon Phillies unis, brown/ yellow Padres unis, Gary Carter Montreal Expos unis...I guess I'm just tired of all the navy, red in the world of baseball. I'd like to see some originality return to it.

I am sore,wounded, but not slain

I will lay down and bleed a while

And then rise up to fight again

Archived