Mascots for 4 Big Sports Leagues

sportsfan9580

God, the cowboys mascot looks so much like a post-facelift jerry jones.

...I don't think that is just a coincidence.

_CLEVELANDTHATILOVEIndians.jpg

SAINT IGNATIUS WILDCATS | CLEVELAND BROWNS | CLEVELAND CAVALIERS | CLEVELAND INDIANS | THE OHIO STATE BUCKEYES

Well, most people seem to be clearing out the mascots of their respective cities, so I may as well do the same.

f47f3e4eb774d8cbf35c6158bad3e795.jpg

Sparky the Dragon, mascot of the AFL's New York Dragons, who doubled as the New York Islanders' mascot. After the folding of the Dragons he's now only the mascot for the Islanders.

damon_devil.jpg

N.J. Devil, mascot of the New Jersey Devils, and the last thing you'd expect to see posing with children.

slyandmini.jpg

Sly the Silver Fox and Mini Sly, mascots of the New Jersey Nets. Much like the Nets themselves to most people in New York, I am indifferent to their existence and don't have anything to say about them.

mr-met-philly-phanatic.jpg

Mr. Met, the mascot of the New York Mets. Seen above indignantly confronting the Phanatic, who has encroached upon his territory.

large_squirrelpole.JPG

Scooter the Squirrel For a couple days in 2007, a squirrel inhabited the right field foul pole. Throughout the games the little critter ran up and down the metal grating of the pole, and it captured the attention of Yankees fans. Nicknamed "Scooter" by many fans, given the fact that the squirrel appeared right after the death of Phil "Scooter" Rizzuto. While a minor occurance, it was the kind of cutesy thing that people love and latch onto,

. It actually became the closest the Yankees have ever become to completely embracing a mascot, as people realized that a squirrel was a great symbol for the city. Later that year, the Yankees themselves began showing video of the squirrel on the Diamondvision with the words "Rally Squirrel". Unfortunately, the squirrel disappeared, and no more mention of him was made after that season. However, it showed that the Yankees fans are willing to get behind a mascot, and if they do eventually create an official mascot, I hope it to be a squirrel named Scooter.

All the Yankees have now are

, Jay-Z (isn't the "Yankee hat" line more of an insult to the team?),
, and
. And yeah, I really prefer the chill-inducing Rocky II "Win" clip to the currently used Rocky Balboa clip. They still break out Rocky II sometimes, though, when they've used up all the other ones.

A few of my favorites not from the New York Metropolitan Area:

As.jpg

Charlie-O, the mule mascot of the Kansas City A's. Why couldn't they have brought him to Oakland with them?

nocahoma2.jpg

Chief Noc-A-Homa of the Atlanta Braves.

MCBEAM.jpg

Steely McBeam of the Pittsburgh Steelers.

td.jpg

T.D. of the Miami Dolphins

spacer.png

spacer.png

Generally speaking, I prefer college to pros for mascots. But some of these are pretty good. I think the eagles' one is fantastic and I doubt many colleges with the same name have one that nice.

Do the Red Sox still have Wally the Green Monster?

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

Here are most of the NHL mascots

mascots.jpg

What mascot/team is that sitting to the left of New Jersey and above Bailey (LA Kings)?

Spartacat, Ottawa Senators :P

And wow I just figured out Harvey the Hound is the only mascot not gracing his team's jersey. Rightfully so it wouldn't be the same.

Iceburg has to be my favorite.

iceburghPIT_display_image.jpg

Good thing they didn't change his beak to Vegas Gold.

JETS|PACK|JAYS|NUFC|BAMA|BOMBERS|RAPS|ORANJE|

Here are most of the NHL mascots

mascots.jpg

What mascot/team is that sitting to the left of New Jersey and above Bailey (LA Kings)?

Spartacat, Ottawa Senators :P

And wow I just figured out Harvey the Hound is the only mascot not gracing his team's jersey. Rightfully so it wouldn't be the same.

Iceburg has to be my favorite.

iceburghPIT_display_image.jpg

Good thing they didn't change his beak to Vegas Gold.

So both the Sens and Kings have lions as their mascots? Interesting...

AnaheimGrungeSigv2.png

All the Yankees have now are

, Jay-Z (isn't the "Yankee hat" line more of an insult to the team?),
, and
. And yeah, I really prefer the chill-inducing Rocky II "Win" clip to the currently used Rocky Balboa clip. They still break out Rocky II sometimes, though, when they've used up all the other ones.

I don't get the "Disco Stu" reference...I didn't see this guy anywhere in the clip.

discostu.gif

And only the Yankees would use the song from a Philly-centric movie and try to make it an NY thing. *sigh*

OK, back on task...as far as I know, the Packers have only ever had one mascot, and it was the one FORCED upon them by the NFL in all its wisdom back in the 80's. Yep, we're talking NFL Huddles here, people.

Behold the short-lived WTF that was...Packy Packer.

packy-packer.jpg

(Odd...he was usually displayed w/ a string of sausages around his neck or in his hand. Seriously.)

Now on Facebook. And Twitter.

Archived