Sharing Stadiums

Brick

In talking with my wife, she was surprised that pro teams could share the same stadium. I'm sure the Giants/Jets and Lakers/Clippers have different locker rooms. That wasn't the case when the Giants and Yankees shared the Polo Grounds or the Cardinals and Browns shared Sportsman's Park. I have a feeling that the old timers may not have had much stuff they kept at the park and equipment that wasn't taken on the road was kept in storage. Anyway, I was hoping to find a person or an online article that could answer some of her questions of how things worked.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I read something about the Milwaukee Braves having to take their stuff out of the locker room for a weekend when the Pack played a County Stadium game. I suppose some of those older places did not have enough locker rooms for multiple teams, but I am sure the newer ones do.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

I know San Diego State has their own locker room at the Q but it could have been one of the old baseball locker rooms. I know when the San Jose Sabercats of the AFL were around they used the NHL visiting locker room as the home locker room and the visiting team used one of the concert dressing rooms.

The Jets and Giants having 2 separate football stadiums would of been a HUGE HUGE waste of money. It would of been more sense if one of the stadiums was in Manhattan with the other in NJ, that changes it a bit.

I think I'm more against the idea of 2 teams in the same city rather than the idea of sharing a home.

bufg.png

When the Mets and Jets shared Shea Stadium, each team had its own locker room. After the Jets left, their old room was used for press conferences, and it was used by the Angels when their game vs. the Yankees got moved to Shea due to the crumbling of Yankee Stadium (which proved Shea was better than Yankee Stadium).

I have some first hand experience with this kind of stuff. It really depends on the stadium. Heinz Field in Pittsburgh has a locker room for the Steelers, a locker room for Pitt, a visiting NFL locker room, and a visiting college locker room. Tampa Bay has a Bucs locker room, a USF locker room, and a visitors locker room (which has enough lockers for a pro team, not a college team). Same for Philly/Temple. Jacksonville has their own locker room, and two other locker rooms. At Rentschler Field, there is a locker room for UConn, a visiting locker room, and a "Varsity" locker room. The Hartford Colonials use the varsity locker room, which is the same size as the visitors locker room.

You don't see a lot of places today that have two teams who share the stadium share a locker room. Most all stadiums have at least 3, so things can be left at the stadium from week to week. Even in that case, since most teams have a training site away from the stadium, there is a lot of stuff that goes back and forth every single week.

I don't think sharing would be a big problem for football, since the players would only be there one day a week. It would be more of a problem for baseball, where the players live out of the clubhouse from pretty much noon-10 every home date.

I have always wonder about this for the Metrodome I sure the Vikes, Twins had their own, but did the U of M have one and then was there seperate one for the visiting team and which locker room did the Stikers use in 1984 (NASL) and Timberwolves in 89-90?

Just say NO to gray facemasks.

The Clippers and Lakers each have their own locker rooms (as I am told).

As for a locker room thread, I could have some things to contribute. Although most of it is not very exciting (but very revealing).

The Clippers and Lakers each have their own locker rooms (as I am told).

As for a locker room thread, I could have some things to contribute. Although most of it is not very exciting (but very revealing).

I'm pretty sure staples has lakers, clips, kings, visiting nba and visiting nhl...which I think is a minimum since they often play multiple games in one day either nhl/nba or nba/nba...staples has to be one of the best modern arena investments considering it's supposedly used 300 days a year.

I know at the Prudential Center Seton Hall shared a locker room with the visiting NHL teams. That said it was also built with an extra pro locker room so the Nets don't have to share with the Devils now that they have moved in.

Also interesting is the Devils have two locker rooms at the arena. One for the attached practice rink and another game locker room for the main rink.

When the Mets and Jets shared Shea Stadium, each team had its own locker room. After the Jets left, their old room was used for press conferences, and it was used by the Angels when their game vs. the Yankees got moved to Shea due to the crumbling of Yankee Stadium (which proved Shea was better than Yankee Stadium).

well, yeah, but yankee stadium was built in the 1920s not the 1960s

07Giants.pngnyy.png

Archived