2010-11 NBA Season

gingerbreadmann

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Two major improvements I've noted this season -

1) The removal of shiny/shimmery uniforms. It worked for some teams, or as alternate unis, but for the most part I didn't like it. It never really grew on me.

2) The "respect the game" rule. I don't know about you guys, but I'm finding the games a lot more enjoyable without the constant jawing of players at refs after every freakin' whistle. I was watching the Wizards game on Saturday and at some point in the first quarter Andray Blatche got right in a refs face after a call. A tech. was immediately assessed, and the players didn't bark for the rest of the game. It just makes the game more peaceful without taking away from the true action and drama.

You know what.? As stupid as that rule seemed at first, I actually am beginning to like it. THere has been a noticeable decrease in whining, much to my delight.

sigpurp.png

---Owner of the NHA's Philadelphia Quakers, the UBA's Chicago Skyliners, and the CFA's Portland Beavers (2010 CFA2 Champions)---

They do this every year. They say they're going to crack down on whining and yapping after fouls, and then by Christmas or so the refs are the superstars' prison bitches because that's the way they, and we, like it. I hadn't even noticed anything unusual this year.

β™« oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is goneΒ β™«

This is why they need a guy like Melo. The young players are still learning the ropes, with absolutely zero guidance from Kaman or Baron. Trading for a veteran from a winning organization would improve the team AND inspire the young guys. If Olshey doesn't get a trade done by the deadline, well, then it's time to start tanking for the Harrison Barnes Sweepstakes.

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

If I was Blake Griffith I would have a calendar an X off days like a prisoner to my parole date waiting for free agency, and I would take the league minimum to play elsewhere, any where. I gotta say this if I was an athlete be it baseball, football, hockey or basketball. The LA Clippers would be the one team I would refuse to play for. Its a cursed orginization its never going to win, it is where careers go to die and if you have the misfortune of being drafted #1 for them you will be plagued with injuries just ask Danny Manning.

They don't even have their own arena they are a tennant of the Lakers, if one day Kobe wants his own chill room the Clippers will be evicted to dress in the parking lot. I mean that is the stuff I see when I think Clippers.

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

If I was Blake Griffith I would have a calendar an X off days like a prisoner to my parole date waiting for free agency, and I would take the league minimum to play elsewhere, any where. I gotta say this if I was an athlete be it baseball, football, hockey or basketball. The LA Clippers would be the one team I would refuse to play for. Its a cursed orginization its never going to win, it is where careers go to die and if you have the misfortune of being drafted #1 for them you will be plagued with injuries just ask Danny Manning.

They don't even have their own arena they are a tennant of the Lakers, if one day Kobe wants his own chill room the Clippers will be evicted to dress in the parking lot. I mean that is the stuff I see when I think Clippers.

The Kings operate Staples Center since it was built by their owner, Anschutz Entertainment Group (AEG)

This is why they need a guy like Melo. The young players are still learning the ropes, with absolutely zero guidance from Kaman or Baron. Trading for a veteran from a winning organization would improve the team AND inspire the young guys.

Carmelo isn't enough to override the fact that they're coached by a complete imbecile.

Blake Griffith could well fall into a long line of recent #1 overall busts with guys like Greg Oldman, Andrew Bogans, and Andrea Barganini.

If I was Blake Griffith

...you'd be two letters off from Blake Griffin.

Yes, the Clips are cursed, and yes, we fans do get frustrated every time they don't live up to their potential (aka pretty much every game over the past three years). But sports curses don't last forever. It wasn't that long ago that we were saying the Saints or the baseball Giants were never going to win, but they've both won the most recent titles in their sports now. For all we know, Blake Griffin could be lifting up the Larry O'Brien Trophy at the end of next season. That's why I always hesitate to say that a team is "never" going to win, because sports is a crapshoot like that.

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

It wasn't that long ago that we were saying the Saints or the baseball Giants were never going to win, but they've both won the most recent titles in their sports now. For all we know, Blake Griffin could be lifting up the Larry O'Brien Trophy at the end of next season.

But you really can't compare NBA championship trajectories with those of the other three leagues. The NBA is built with a minimal allowance for the randomness that allows merely above-average teams to make deep runs at the expense of genuine contenders. The Clippers could gobble up superstars and build an overnight contender like the Celtics did in the summer of '07, but given what we know about Don Sterling I find that highly unlikely, and I will not hear any of your half-assed apologism about how he built a practice facility and is thus ready to do what the Celtics did. Finally, the Clippers are coached by a blithering idiot, so we can't even begin to talk about what kind of a franchise player Blake Griffin can be until somone is drawing plays for him beyond a high school JV level.

With a few roster moves and a coaching change, the Clippers can be a playoff team, but they will not contend for a 2012 championship. The NBA doesn't allow for it.

They do this every year. They say they're going to crack down on whining and yapping after fouls, and then by Christmas or so the refs are the superstars' prison bitches because that's the way they, and we, like it. I hadn't even noticed anything unusual this year.

Well, they actually changed the rule this year, so that's at least a little more than just a claim. Regardless, Derrick Rose still won't get to the free throw line

sigpurp.png

---Owner of the NHA's Philadelphia Quakers, the UBA's Chicago Skyliners, and the CFA's Portland Beavers (2010 CFA2 Champions)---

If I was Blake Griffith

Yes, the Clips are cursed, and yes, we fans do get frustrated every time they don't live up to their potential (aka pretty much every game over the past three years). But sports curses don't last forever. It wasn't that long ago that we were saying the Saints or the baseball Giants were never going to win, but they've both won the most recent titles in their sports now. For all we know, Blake Griffin could be lifting up the Larry O'Brien Trophy at the end of next season. That's why I always hesitate to say that a team is "never" going to win, because sports is a crapshoot like that.

Tell that to Cubs fans. :P

Has anyone else noticed the lack of fans this year? I feel like even the bad teams used to draw good crowds at the beginning of the season, but this year I'm seeing a lot of empty seats. Is that just me?

If I was Blake Griffith

Tell that to Cubs fans. :P

Has anyone else noticed the lack of fans this year? I feel like even the bad teams used to draw good crowds at the beginning of the season, but this year I'm seeing a lot of empty seats. Is that just me?

I haven't noticed a big difference, but if attendance is actually down I'm sure you could attribute a significant part of that to unemployment/bad economy. I don't think it's necessarily a lack of interest in the league, with all of the attention the NBA got this offseason in terms of big players changing teams.

WIZARDS ORIOLES CAPITALS RAVENS UNITED

I debated even posting it, but 1) It's being reported on ESPN and other sports outlets, and 2) I've always wanted to call Tony Parker "fool". :D

Definitely agree with that, though. :lol: Who cheats on Eva Longoria for Brent Barry's wife?

Β 

Β 

Archived